SAR First Aid Kit

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
What would you want in a Search and Rescue First Aid kit. I am starting to get into my counties Search and Rescue team, and wondered what anyone has in their first aid kit.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not usually the one to post the "How to do a search" reply.. but this is not a big thread with a ton of posts and this topic has been covered sooooooooooooo many times that even I have to say something.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with Bossy Cow, but I'll give you a little hint (not sure if I brought this up in the last discussion or not)

I created the first aid kit that I carry on SAR missions mostly for my own personal use. The number of times I've needed a little first aid has greatly outnumbered the number of times I've needed to give first aid with just my kit (rather than having the SAR team's medical equipment at hand).

My first aid kit fits in a sandwich-sized zip-loc bag and contains:

-extras of my prescriptions
-tampons
-hand sanitizer
-bug spray
-band-aids, some gauze, neosporin, tape, etc
-moleskin (from personal experience duct tape is actually better for blisters, but not as compact)
-sunscreen
-various OTCs - cold medicine, excedrin, etc
-hydrocortisone
-tweezers
-toothpaste/brush
-visine
-contact solution, eye wash

Honestly, you don't need a bunch of stuff to treat a patient. Your team should provide some medical equipment and even though it might take a little while for that equipment to get to you should you have a find, you'll find that most patients in SAR are very stable - they're either dead already or not going to die anytime in the near future. You can always improvise too.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianJ

Forum Probie
sar kit

My kit consists of:
handful of 4x4s
SAM splint
some combination of roller gauze + ace or coflex
roll or two of 2 inch athletic tape
BP cuff and scope
warm packs or cold packs depending on the time of year.
Shears
Alcohol prep pads
CPR mask

Not really much, our team has a med pack that goes in on all rescues but for searches, or if going in before the truck arrives, I've found this is enough to treat most things. When I hike/climb I carry the same kit minus the bp cuff and cold packs.

OP
OP
KempoEMT

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
D'Oh

d'oh!! I totally forgot about search. :sad: my bad. I will do better next time

John E

Forum Captain
I was gonna...

bring up the irony of forgetting to do a search for a SEARCH and rescue question but I just couldn't bring myself to do it...;^)

If you're wanting something to carry for your own usage, you've gotten some good ideas already, if you want something that's pre-packed, I'd look at some of the Adventure Medical Kits available at outdoors stores and online. They're usually at least reasonably priced, come in compact cases and depending on which one you get, should give you most everything you need.

John E.

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member
-moleskin (from personal experience duct tape is actually better for blisters,

if you take some of the backing from computer labels, cut out an appropriately sized piece and fold in half with the label side out then wrap with duct tape, you can get a pretty good amount of tape in a very small package. B)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Our SAR unit furnishes Thomas packs. There is one carried by each team in the field. Your response kit should be issued by your unit and should have all the basics covered.

I carry as part of my own FA supplies, everything listed in the previous posts, minus the cold packs/hot packs. Instead of a hot pack, I carry a ziplock baggie filled with de-icer. It's lighter, takes up less space and doesn't burst accidently warming up my socks for 10 minutes. When needed it can be added to any water and becomes a heat pack that outlasts any of the commercial packs I've tried. I double bag it so I don't end up with the stuff all over everything.

The only other thing I'd add is one of those foil emergency blankets. In my opinion on a SAR it's one of the best tools around for the money . It can be used as a reflector, cut up for flagging tape, made into a makeshift shelter, you can use it as a sling/swath, wear it under your coat for extra warmth, sit on it if the ground is cold. It's compact, weighs next to nothing and can be purchased for under a buck.

BrianJ

Forum Probie
cheap blanket

Along the same lines as the foil blanket, one item I have found very useful is a cheap fleece throw blanket (3/$10 a most walgreens or CVS) works well as padding for patients on the stokes, able to wrap around a cold patient, and can be used in an overnight shelter.

To clarify my last post; we carry the medical bag in on all rescues where we have a good idea of the patient's location. On searches the med bag stays in the truck and we deal with minor medical out of our pack. If we need the med bag we can call for it.

My advice is to wait until you go through your teams orientation trainings and listen to the experienced members about what they carry, don't go out and buy a bunch of things right away; know what items work well in your area. For example I live in tucson, az our county covers from ~2000ft elevation to ~9,000ft elevation, what I carry is going to be much different that people that live further north and experience actual cold weather. We have some calls that take place within 10 minutes of the road and others that are a five hour hike to scene.

Whatever you do enjoy doing SAR, I've met some of my best friends through it.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
The only other thing I'd add is one of those foil emergency blankets. In my opinion on a SAR it's one of the best tools around for the money .

Absolutely. I actually carry an Adventure Medical emergency bivvy, which is admittedly less versatile than just a regular emergency blanket but much better for keeping warm.

It's not unheard of for a SAR team to be benighted in the field unexpectedly, so make sure you're prepared to spend a night out.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am just a casual hiker, no SAR, but I carry a bivvy of my own FA supplies. For me its a weight-benefit analysis-- so over time, I have scrapped a lot that weighs too much, I dont use, or can be combined with something else. I dont think I have added anything new in a few years (apart from replacing used items), just taken things away.
Although I dont have it in front of me, some things I can think of off the top of my head that havent been mentioned include:
2-3 garbadge bags (light, so many uses)
2-3 Cravats (ditto)
Matches/popsicle sticks
a little notebook + pencil
1 OPA (useful not just as an airway)

It sounds random, but everything has a purpose.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
At our local county fair last summer we put out lists and examples of the 10 essentials. We conducted a sort of informal poll, asking passers by if they went out into the woods and what did they bring with them.

It was surprising how many people would say.. 'my cell phone' or just 'water'. We showed them how little space the 10 essentials take up. For those that don't know, they are:

1. Map
  2. Compass
  3. Flashlight
  4. Food/water
  5. Change of clothes
  6. Rain Gear
  7. First Aid Kit
  8. Pocket Knife
  9. Matches
  10. Fire Starter/Tinder

A lot of people assume that their GPS will serve as both map and compass, but a day of geocaching can eat a battery pretty quickly. Also, in our neck of the woods, we don't always have the ability to acquire satellites through the canopy of trees. Old fashioned map and compass are always going to work.

Food doesn't need to be elaborate MREs or freeze dried meals. It can be as simple as some high protein snacks in a baggie.

Flashlight/headlight plus extra batteries or bulbs.

Change of clothes, socks especially. I keep a set of underwear, socks, a fleece shirt and a pair of sweatpants in one of those food saver bags. Suck the air out and it takes up surprisingly little space and is also kept waterproof. Dry warm clothes are your best defense out in the woods.

Raingear can be a large garbage bag. This also serves as a makeshift shelter, not to mention something to use for trail clean up, packing out someone else's garbage.

Knife, first aid kit and matches sort of speak for themselves. But tinder is often crucial. It can be difficult to start a fire on wet ground when all the surrounding wood is soaked. (Did I mention I live near a rainforest?) I carry a small baggie with dryer lint mixed with petroleum jelly. The best tinder I've found ever. It's free, light and I have an endless supply available.

We are in full swing of the mushroom picking season. We usually have to go find a mushroom hunter or two per year and this year is a bumper crop of wild mushrooms so business should be brisk!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Fine tweaking.

1. Flashlight needs to be LED, or have the type of bulb which does not have two little wires, and which uses regular batteries, not little disk batteries. If you can't change the bulb or the batteries by braille with cold hands, forget it; mostly you will turn it on when it is dark, and when you turn it on is when it will fail. (Sorry, Minimag).
2. SPARE knife. SPARE compass. Neck lanyards on them. Matches in two places.
3. Water treatment aids, if only a tin cup to boil it in and some clean nyon stocking to screen it. Eight and a third lbs per gallon plus container...gets very heavy to pack water.
4. For just a few days out, I used to use cornnuts, jerky, and slimfast bars. If you have any dental problems, forget the cornnuts except to bait game. A few teabags are a good deal too, in a baggie. Hot tea is good, and teabags can be used as astringent tannin compresses for skin troubles. Someone says you can burn tea to repel mosquitoes, but it draws Englishmen.

Weigh (no pun intended) the extra effort and decreased results from using improvisational supplies against their light weight and smaller size...or are they lighter and smaller? Examine your preconceptions. Think "robust".
Oh yeah...
5. A couple of those joke birthday cake candles which don't blow out, for fire starting. Alcohol wipes can be used as a little lighter lamps too.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Are we talking what the normal person needs to bring out for a walk in the woods or are we talking the NASAR 24 hour pack? Because those two are very different.

OP
OP
KempoEMT

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Are we talking what the normal person needs to bring out for a walk in the woods or are we talking the NASAR 24 hour pack? Because those two are very different.

I'm talking about NASAR 24 hour pack.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Pack heavy, curse you pack. Pack light, curse yourself.

Bring a little extra of something important to share like batteries or toilet paper. Terrific team builder.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
As other people have said, specifics vary based on your group's requirements and where you're at. For example, my area gets mostly lower leg injuries (Common everywhere) and climbers who become fallers. Pack accordingly. I carry a c-collar. Someone in, say, Kansas, might not have as much need for one.

I'm about ready to give up on sam splints -- cutting a foam pad down and using it works just as well if not better (Standard size sam splint on a lower leg fracture?), and the pad has a bunch of other uses too. Prepackaged triangle bandages are roo small to be useful. Get a sheet from a thrift store and cut it up. (Works better on an ambulance too. Just try to stick with white sheets.)

Whatever you do, don't spend a lot of money on setting up an aid kit until you've finished your group's training program and talked to some experienced members about what they carry. If you're lucky, it's an organization that has its own field aid kits that go up and you won't have to have more than a personal kit.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
I carry as part of my own FA supplies, everything listed in the previous posts, minus the cold packs/hot packs. Instead of a hot pack, I carry a ziplock baggie filled with de-icer. It's lighter, takes up less space and doesn't burst accidently warming up my socks for 10 minutes. When needed it can be added to any water and becomes a heat pack that outlasts any of the commercial packs I've tried. I double bag it so I don't end up with the stuff all over everything.

That's a neat little trick. I'm going to have to try it out.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant

Hmm. There's some odd stuff on that list. Personal climbing equipment (Does NASAR II also include rope rescue training?) but not a helmet? Wire? Water purification optional?

Quite a few differences from what I'm used to on top of that, but eh. If it works, and there are different ways of doing stuff like packaging up someone on a litter...