Santa Monica Ambulance Provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueprint1970

Forum Probie
I hear that Santa Monica Fire is requesting a new BLS provider and the contract will soon be open for bidding and that Fire offered it to the former ambulance provider Gerber ?

Any truth to this ? I think Americare is the current provider ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
What does the current contract say as far as changing providers?

I guess I'm used to ours, we have a contract that's pretty tough for us to lose....with that said, generally, contracts are written so that the current company can't just be dropped for no reason,

For example, we have XX% compliance requirement with the county mandated response times, if we miss it one month we have one month to fix it or the contract goes up for bid.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I hear that Santa Monica Fire is requesting a new BLS provider and the contract will soon be open for bidding and that Fire offered it to the former ambulance provider Gerber ?

Any truth to this ? I think Americare is the current provider ?

You cannot "offer" it to anyone, and even more so the Fire Department certainly cannot offer anything. This is a City thing, not a Department thing. And nothing can be "Offered" it has to be won through bidding, anything else leaves you open for litigation.

AmeriCare Supervisor

Forum Ride Along
Well put.

AmeriCare is the current contracted ambulance provider for the city of Santa Monica. The rumor of SMFD opting out of their contract and offering it to anyone else is unfounded.

AmeriCare is proud to serve the city of Santa Monica and we work hard to maintain a stellar relationship with not only the FD, but the city as a whole.

Manyuniforms

Forum Probie
That's a lie you pull your 911 rigs to run the bottom of the barrel calls and then they try to fix the problem by sending units code 3 in from Carson... Or any other part of the county

Mike S

Forum Probie
I am not sure where you get your information from but I get mine from the chief of Santa Monica and/or the other brass of the department and not a disgruntled EMT that may have been terminated or didn't pass our hiring standards.

I assure you that as of today Santa Monica is working on extending AmeriCare as it's provider and is NOT considering any other company let alone Gerber.

As the owner/President/CEO of the largest privately owned company that has no "split" ownership let along ownership by offshore companies I am rather proud of the company I started myself from scratch from nothing.

AmeriCare has the best 911 response ratios in the ENTIRE County of Los Angeles. Posting a 99% compliance. Gerber lacked and lacks a true CAD system to track responses so they were estimated in the low 80s. The Chief and Brass have openly repeatedly stated AmeriCare is the best company they have EVER had in over 30 years. They have stated Gerber was the worst. Why would they go to them to offer them anything?

AmeriCare has the depth to uniquely provide Santa Monica what they need at a loss. Gerber was unable to do so. I am sorry to hear that some of you feel that IFT's are "bottom of the barrel" however they are essential to the EMS community and also the viability of AmeriCare as without them we would not be able to provide Santa Monica with what we do. The "bottom of the barrel" calls pay paychecks and for the units we drive and equipment we use. Not the 911 calls. The true "bottom of the barrel" call are certain 911 calls that we run with the same vigor as the crème on top of the barrel. If you don't like IFTs you really should pick another line of work and not be an EMT or private paramedic. You can still get hired by a FD or as a Medic without working for a private ambulance company and if you hate what you do don't do it. IFTs are and will be part of EMT's and Paramedics lives at AmeriCare. In fact a problem Gerber had was they only staffed 3 to 4 units in Santa Monica and used those same units to back up Torrance FD and run IFTs leaving the city bear with no calls working.

We never utilize code 3 back up to cover a unit sent on a IFT unless we are already 5 deep in the city on 911 calls. Santa Monica is difficult to get in and out of very often. If we are more than 5 deep on 911 calls and they come in rapidly as Santa Monica often does then at times we need to rapidly fill the need before it arises. I can count the non-compliant calls on one hand for the last 2 years. No other 911 provider in LA can do so.

As of today the City of Santa Monica and AmeriCare are already looking to extend out contract with them!

I understand often times EMTs don't see everything going on "inside" and tend to try to frill in the blanks by stirring rumors. Many EMTs are young and have some growing to do. However the city looks at hard numbers, tracks true situations, and evaluates AmeriCare on its abilities inside the business office as well as the street. AmeriCare just finished its annual review with extremely high marks and no demerits. During this period is when we spoke of extending the contract.

AmeriCare truly enjoys giving to the community of Santa Monica and participating in training and other city functions with them. Even though the contract is in a loss position and AmeriCare could easily turn a profit if we running it as Gerber did and as most companies would we choose to truly serve the community and provide not only the best service the city has ever had but the depth required to run major incidents without calling other providers to assist. At times we have had as many as 30+ units responding to the same incident. The actual numbers can not lie . . . disgruntled EMTs can.

Also as you bring up Gerber, they do not even have a city "police permit" which was one of the issues during their term in Santa Monica. AmeriCare immediately obtained one and passed the backgrounds required. Gerber never did. They can not run a call in the city nor will SMFD ever call on them in the future. AmeriCare determines the backup (if needed) unless a situation develops outside of our infrastructure.

So I ask "who did you hear this from?" as I am certain it was not from any official at SMFD.

I do thank all of you that use this forum for its intended purpose to enjoy growth in EMS through education and true information that aids in your life as an EMT. I have been an EMT for many years and have retained my EMT to this day. I wish we had such a forum (or event the internet) when I got my EMT to help me wade though hiring processes and obtain needed information.

Sincerely Mike

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
That's a lie you pull your 911 rigs to run the bottom of the barrel calls and then they try to fix the problem by sending units code 3 in from Carson... Or any other part of the county

I have to agree with many uniforms... There is so many times that units are sent code 3 across the county to backfill.
And I'm sure that's not just negligent but illegal specially since a post move ...specially one in excess of 20 plus miles does not constitute a true emergency. Just saying...

Mike S

Forum Probie
Well I guess you can agree with him but that doesn’t make you right either. I try to avoid code 3 as much as possible due to the risk and dangers involved with it. However at times we need to make sure we are able to have the depth required to meet any need in our EOA and at times that means we must ensure the district is covered even if that means covering it code 3.

I will give you the vehicle code and you can look up the legislative intent, applicability, and case law on it. I assure you it is LEGAL however it is not recommended and that is why we rarely do it to avoid any issues.
C.V.C. 21055. The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle is exempt from Chapter 2 under all of the following conditions: (a) If the vehicle is being driven in response to an emergency call or while engaged in rescue operations or is being used in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law or is responding to, but not returning from, a fire alarm, except that fire department vehicles are exempt whether directly responding to an emergency call or operated from one place to another as rendered desirable or necessary by reason of an emergency call operated to the scene of the emergency or operated from one fire station to another or to some other location by reason of the emergency call.

NOTE: "from one place to another as rendered desirable" if it was from close by there would be no such need and the even the legislators realized this was a necessity.

As for negligent, I am not sure what you mean. The general term or the legal tort. Is it negligent? LA CO fire does it probably 20 times a day. They could avoid it by adding a bunch more units. LA City does it too. They could avoid it the same way. They have a huge budget and deep pockets. We are giving the city more than it ever had at a loss. We went from 3 to 4 units to 4-6 units and at times we even have more. At times the need exceeds our immediate available units in the area. Does it make it negligent to cover an area BEFORE a “true emergency” arises like you speak of or does it make it negligent to sit and hope the true emergency doesn’t come in as the previous provider did? I would think the latter. Sure we could put even more units in the city but that would just put us out of business.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I didn't know that americare was the fire department.

except that fire department vehicles are exempt

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I didn't know that americare was the fire department.

Exactly exodus you hit the nail on the head... LA city or LA county Fire does not pull Paramedics out of the the city to accompany a gomer on a discharge from Torrance Mem to Sunnyside rehab. Also Americare is not a first in Paramedic Provider anywhere. Even in other counties were Private providers are first in ALS have I ever responded to a post move code 3 that just would not constitute a true emergency. Negligent I mean careless, irresponsible, wreckless, putting the public at risk for your financial gain. Specially when the shortage was created to bang out an IFT and true your running a business but hey welcome to EMS... Maybe you should be in the taxi service... Oh wait you are a taxi..glorified one

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
Exactly exodus you hit the nail on the head... LA city or LA county Fire does not pull Paramedics out of the the city to accompany a gomer on a discharge from Torrance Mem to Sunnyside rehab. Also Americare is not a first in Paramedic Provider anywhere. Even in other counties were Private providers are first in ALS have I ever responded to a post move code 3 that just would not constitute a true emergency. Negligent I mean careless, irresponsible, wreckless, putting the public at risk for your financial gain. Specially when the shortage was created to bang out an IFT and true your running a business but hey welcome to EMS... Maybe you should be in the taxi service... Oh wait you are a taxi..glorified one

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner

Mike S

Forum Probie
Sorry I disappoint you guys so much. I am not sure who Gomer is but I do believe they are special to someone and probably shows your care for other humans. I am thinking that you guys should open the perfect company as you know how to run a company far better than me. I have not found a way to offset the service levels we provide to SMFD and continue in business at all. You call it financial gain and I call it viability. You are free to start an company . . . the perfect company and run it exactly as you wish. Call it what you like but these patients and customers deserve a high level of compassion and service. The DHS office is in Santa Fe Springs and you can start the process to start and run your own company there. You can dedicate yourself to 911 only, give them an excess of units to ensure you never need back up, and never run a "gomer." It would probably be the best company ever. AmeriCare, as long as I am in charge, will be expected treat "gomers" with a high amount of respect and dignity.

I have explained our practices and policies. I have explained the law and our procedures. Generally most EMTs don't like running non-emergency stuff but quickly learn it is part of the job. This lack of enthusiasm of running non-emergency generally leads to most discontent and complaints from the EMTs. I cant fix that and if you don't want to run non-emergency AmeriCare is not the company for you. I am not sure if any companies run ONLY 911 but I don't know of any. If they are out there you should work there. Some companies run only non-emergency. We have at least have a mix. Again we have the highest response compliance in ALL OF LA COUNTY for 911 so we are doing something right. The other companies may not take coverage so seriously but it reflects in their response times and they plainly lack units on the street and try to staff just enough for the need. We over staff in excess of generally accepted ratios for the need. SMFD the general ratio would call for 3 units. We are starting to move resources that way at 3. Other areas in the county the companies just spread them out further to cover greater distances . . . which means longer code 3 runs . . . is that safer?

I have exhausted my comment on this chain. One thing I have noticed in life is some something another 911 company owner in the county said so eloquently . . . "those that have the least to complain about complain the most" Being happy and content really comes from within. I your not happy make a change to try to find your happy point. If you don't like running "gomers" don't.

Sorry I disappoint you guys so much. I am not sure who Gomer is but I do believe they are special to someone and probably shows your care for other humans. I am thinking that you guys should open the perfect company as you know how to run a company far better than me. I have not found a way to offset the service levels we provide to SMFD and continue in business at all. You call it financial gain and I call it viability. You are free to start an company . . . the perfect company and run it exactly as you wish. Call it what you like but these patients and customers deserve a high level of compassion and service. The DHS office is in Santa Fe Springs and you can start the process to start and run your own company there. You can dedicate yourself to 911 only, give them an excess of units to ensure you never need back up, and never run a "gomer." It would probably be the best company ever. AmeriCare, as long as I am in charge, will be expected treat "gomers" with a high amount of respect and dignity.

I have explained our practices and policies. I have explained the law and our procedures. Generally most EMTs don't like running non-emergency stuff but quickly learn it is part of the job. This lack of enthusiasm of running non-emergency generally leads to most discontent and complaints from the EMTs. I cant fix that and if you don't want to run non-emergency AmeriCare is not the company for you. I am not sure if any companies run ONLY 911 but I don't know of any. If they are out there you should work there. Some companies run only non-emergency. We have at least have a mix. Again we have the highest response compliance in ALL OF LA COUNTY for 911 so we are doing something right. The other companies may not take coverage so seriously but it reflects in their response times and they plainly lack units on the street and try to staff just enough for the need. We over staff in excess of generally accepted ratios for the need. SMFD the general ratio would call for 3 units. We are starting to move resources that way at 3. Other areas in the county the companies just spread them out further to cover greater distances . . . which means longer code 3 runs . . . is that safer?

I have exhausted my comment on this chain. One thing I have noticed in life is some something another 911 company owner in the county said so eloquently . . . "those that have the least to complain about complain the most" Being happy and content really comes from within. I your not happy make a change to try to find your happy point. If you don't like running "gomers" don't.

McCormick has managed to survive as well as become an extremely well respected company while running a VERY SMALL amount of IFTs. It's not impossible.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well to be fair, McCormick has two whole EOAs for 911 response, AmeriCare only has Santa Monica for that.

(Not that I'm necessarily defending AmeriCare, personally I didnt think my previous experience was worth only 8.29 an hour to do primarily IFTs when I got 10 an hour from another company for that work. Not that I'm necessarily defending Gerber either, frankly I'd be happy as can be if McCormick finally bought us out lol)

As far as services in LA County that only provide 911 response, and no IFTs, they do exist, they're just called fire departments. Find one with an EMT only Ambulance Operator program (and just like a fire recruit position, wait for the dept to be hiring, apply within the couple week period its open, pass a much bigger written test than any private company I've seen, pass the oral interview and then pass an in depth background investigation. Easy as pie)

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
McCormick has managed to survive as well as become an extremely well respected company while running a VERY SMALL amount of IFTs. It's not impossible.

Americare has one of the lowest levels of moral of all the LA ambulance companies and the highest turnaround rate. The fact that an EMS professional does not own a business doesn't mean they have no credibility. Some individuals go into this field to help people other want to capitalize because health care is big business, and no Im not a business owner. I'm just a Paramedic with over 15 years experience and I have worked in different counties. Multiple MCIs, different capacities. And could say every single patient that has been in my ambulance I've treated as if they were family. My advise to you..is with good employee moral productivity increases, from large corporations to the military that is one of the biggest elements they emphasize on employee or troop moral. Provide them with the basic needs and they will bend over backwards for you. Including the stations...that's good you keep your Lancaster station tucked away because that place is a hell hole...

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
I worked for McCormick for 3+ years ... You can learn a lot from that company... Americare has a lot more to grow and they should learn for their competitors.... I suggest that you as an owner Put yourself on a rig every once in a while and see what your EMTs see... Times have changed since you were a field EMT...according to your linkedin account.... I can say that your management is horrible ... I know one person, mr smith... Is a huge liability for you..... I don't care how long you've known him for and what position you will create just to keep him on your payroll....he creates a lot of liability for you.... Karras is an ok guy... At least he sits on the transportation committee for ocems.... Keep a closer eye on smith... I know you let him stay at your house in Huntington Beach for a while (he might still be living there) but keep friendship and business separate...

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I worked for McCormick for 3+ years ... You can learn a lot from that company... Americare has a lot more to grow and they should learn for their competitors.... I suggest that you as an owner Put yourself on a rig every once in a while and see what your EMTs see... Times have changed since you were a field EMT...according to your linkedin account.... I can say that your management is horrible ... I know one person, mr smith... Is a huge liability for you..... I don't care how long you've known him for and what position you will create just to keep him on your payroll....he creates a lot of liability for you.... Karras is an ok guy... At least he sits on the transportation committee for ocems.... Keep a closer eye on smith... I know you let him stay at your house in Huntington Beach for a while (he might still be living there) but keep friendship and business separate...

You know who else? that guy is freaking a psychopath. Obsessed with harrasing the Employees...this maniac actually gets off on writing people up he has a crazy look on his face and gives all the EMTs dirty looks... I interviewed back in 2001 with this guy when I was a young emt he was calling himself the OC ops manager and during the interview he jokingly asked a female EMT to perform oral sex... Straight sexual harassment.. And he's still employed with them...

Status
Not open for further replies.