San Diego rural metro

Gordoemt

Forum Lieutenant
I know there has been a bunch of threads on this but I have a question for you guys. I have a friend who just got hired at San Diego rural metro and I am trying too see if anyone would think if it is worth it to work at rural metro financially driving from the San Fernando valley. I've been an EMT for years but maybe looking for change. I could get In pretty easy but I'm just trying to see if I would have to work stupid amount of hours to just make ends meet and break even. Also what does their medical test entail? Thanks

terrible one

Always wandering
San Diego ems is notorious for paying low wages. Like minimum wage low.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
The pay for a EMT is around $10.50 if I remember right. Driving from SFV seems likes you waste half of your paycheck on gas. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but from Riverside.

Another thing to think about is where R/M might be in a year or to with SD city.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
also, for the first 6-12 months you are more than likely going to be on an 8, 10, or 12 hr shift (however R/M does it), but i know you have to "bridge" to be on a 24hr 911 car which takes some seniority. driving from SFV to SD almost every day would be completely miserable especially on the 5 freeway.

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
Yes, San Diego is notorious for low paying EMS jobs. We're talking minimum wage-low. There's a few companies that pay slightly higher than minimum wage; around $10/ hour and I believe R/M is one of those.

While I don't think the idea is impossible, you have to think about the commute (time + gas waste) for a $10/ hour wage. Honestly, I would try to pick up another gig in LA rather than making the commute down to SD.

I know CodeBru works there. Shoot him a PM if you're interested.

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
Another thing to think about is where R/M might be in a year or to with SD city.

Also true. They recently signed a one year extension in the past year to "give the city more time to evaluate options". Ex-Mayor Filner wanted to explore the option of an in-house EMS service, but now that he's out of office, there's no saying what will happen next.

In all respect, I think R/M has a chance at retaining their stake as SD's 911 provider. However, there are many companies eyeing the same contract; AMR, AmeriCare, etc. I've even heard Falck's name being thrown around but I haven't seen much of their presence around SD yet. Who knows, with all that European money, they can come in and take over, overnight and we won't even know how they did it.