Run, Hide, Fight

LearningByMistakes

Forum Probie
Veneficus, I'm just curious what parts of this were so bad. Seemed like pretty good advice to me.

And what exactly is YOUR experience that makes YOU such an expert to say this video is so bad?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Just a reminder to keep things civil and professional folks. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Just for the record I don't necessarily think this kind of video would have helped in Colorado. These people were virtually ambushed. Nonetheless in other situations I suppose it might help.

I wonder if having yearly drills in primary school is something we'll ever see. Something like the nuclear drills in the 50s or earthquake and fire drills we have now?

OP
OP
PVC

PVC

Forum Crew Member
Just a reminder to keep things civil and professional folks. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Yea, let’s be nice.

Just for the record I don't necessarily think this kind of video would have helped in Colorado. These people were virtually ambushed. Nonetheless in other situations I suppose it might help.
I am not sure anything short of having armed guards in theater 9 or outside the emergency exit would have made much difference in Aurora.
I wonder if having yearly drills in primary school is something we'll ever see. Something like the nuclear drills in the 50s or earthquake and fire drills we have now?
There are many schools all over America that are running Active Shooter drills, A quick google search came up with drills being executed in Texas, Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania and California. There might be others. I find this to be a little unsettling.
We have always felt safe in the USA. Confident that our society and LE can protect us. Shooter drills are supposed to be for countries like, Israel, Iraq or Mexico. It is very sad we have to consider this level of preparation here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Veneficus

Forum Chief
You were there? What grade were you in? I mean, were you a student or a worker?

A responder (Edited to protect the identity of the specific agency in retrospect)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yea, let’s be nice.

I am not sure anything short of having armed guards in theater 9 or outside the emergency exit would have made much difference in Aurora.

There are many schools all over America that are running Active Shooter drills, A quick google search came up with drills being executed in Texas, Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania and California. There might be others. I find this to be a little unsettling.
We have always felt safe in the USA. Confident that our society and LE can protect us. Shooter drills are supposed to be for countries like, Israel, Iraq or Mexico. It is very sad we have to consider this level of preparation here.

It is not sad, it is a simple fact of life. There are many people that own at least one firearm in this country, and many more with direct or indirect access to them. If you (plural) want to live in a society where guns are so prevalent and obtainable, expect to deal with the consequences and prepare accordingly.

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
It is not sad, it is a simple fact of life. There are many people that own at least one firearm in this country, and many more with direct or indirect access to them. If you (plural) want to live in a society where guns are so prevalent and obtainable, expect to deal with the consequences and prepare accordingly.

You cannot expect to be able to remove every single weapon. When a criminal wants to use a firearm, they will get it. The more guns in law-abiding civilian hands, the safer our country will be. Whenever you look at places where firearms are required or open carry is allowed, the crime rate is nearly zero.

Think about it: if you wanted to rob a bank, but knew that just 10% of the people in that bank were possible CCW permit holders, how likely are you to continue with your plan? Oppositely, if you know that there is a low chance that even one person, including the guard outside, has a weapon, and LEO's are 5-10 mins out, things look much better for your heist, don't they?

You know, it baffles me; I was listening to the radio, and a lady called in. She immediately stated her intent to push for a complete ban on all firearms. The host asked her what her plan was if her house was broken into at night while she was in bed, and the robber was armed. Her response: "My husband and I would grab our cellphones off the headboard and roll off under the bed and wait for police." :rofl:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You can almost hear the train leaving the tracks.

Ok folks back on topic. We were discussing the recent PSA regarding what to do in an active shooter/mass shooting incident. So if this video is not useful what kind of training should we be offering? Should we be offering any at all. who should it be offered to?

This is an interesting semi related link.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...sings-to-schoolchildren-during-shoot-out.html

OP
OP
PVC

PVC

Forum Crew Member
This is an interesting semi related link.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...sings-to-schoolchildren-during-shoot-out.html

It is interesting that you would choose a video of a Mexican gunfight. Mexico is a gun free society or should I say a disarmed society. All weapons have to be registered with the Mexican army and are specific to the person and domicile. If the weapon is found outside of the information on the registry the penalty is 5 - 20 years in a South of the border Prison.

I agree with staying on track. I am so tired of the guns are good/bad arguments. Freedom works for everyone, how novel.

Ok folks back on topic. We were discussing the recent PSA regarding what to do in an active shooter/mass shooting incident. So if this video is not useful what kind of training should we be offering? Should we be offering any at all. who should it be offered to?

I think the video is a good start as a PSA but as with all education we should educate children in school as well.

The home is the very first place that safety should be taught. Along with the “don’t talk to strangers “ , “just say no” and the “where babies come from” we could include what to do when there is a shooter emergency in public places.

And the train rolls on.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You cannot expect to be able to remove every single weapon. When a criminal wants to use a firearm, they will get it. The more guns in law-abiding civilian hands, the safer our country will be. Whenever you look at places where firearms are required or open carry is allowed, the crime rate is nearly zero.

Think about it: if you wanted to rob a bank, but knew that just 10% of the people in that bank were possible CCW permit holders, how likely are you to continue with your plan? Oppositely, if you know that there is a low chance that even one person, including the guard outside, has a weapon, and LEO's are 5-10 mins out, things look much better for your heist, don't they?

You know, it baffles me; I was listening to the radio, and a lady called in. She immediately stated her intent to push for a complete ban on all firearms. The host asked her what her plan was if her house was broken into at night while she was in bed, and the robber was armed. Her response: "My husband and I would grab our cellphones off the headboard and roll off under the bed and wait for police." :rofl:

At no point did I ever say that I think we should remove guns or the right to carry them. That's not my point in the slightest. What I am trying to get across is that in a society with a lot of access to firearms, as a whole we need to prepare accordingly. Whether or not this sort of PSA is useful for this purpose I cannot say, but in the present climate, we need to understand that our old concept of safety is perhaps less valid.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm with Vene on this one. If you have to be told to run and hide when someone is shooting a gun then Darwin has you on his short list.

If individual businesses want to do individual plans with their staff that is their choice. I do not think that a PSA is an appropriate use of $200,000. I don't believe that watching a video once is adequate education for the general public and the impact is going to be limited by the delivery. The best way to maximize viewers is to play it on TV and a 30 second commercial isn't going to change anything.

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
At no point did I ever say that I think we should remove guns or the right to carry them. That's not my point in the slightest. What I am trying to get across is that in a society with a lot of access to firearms, as a whole we need to prepare accordingly. Whether or not this sort of PSA is useful for this purpose I cannot say, but in the present climate, we need to understand that our old concept of safety is perhaps less valid.

Sorry, I misunderstood. It is difficult to convey emphasis and tone across message boards.

OP
OP
PVC

PVC

Forum Crew Member
I'm with Vene on this one. If you have to be told to run and hide when someone is shooting a gun then Darwin has you on his short list.

If individual businesses want to do individual plans with their staff that is their choice. I do not think that a PSA is an appropriate use of $200,000. I don't believe that watching a video once is adequate education for the general public and the impact is going to be limited by the delivery. The best way to maximize viewers is to play it on TV and a 30 second commercial isn't going to change anything.

I would hope that it would get a lot of classroom time and be a catalyst for giving the subject serious thought. Time will tell.

Aidey

How exactly is the general public going to get classroom time on active shooter situations?

Camtheman

Forum Probie
I believe that for $200,000 it fell short, but that being said it is a start.
A short video is not enough IMO and I think that some sort of "emergency prepardness" should be taught throughout the education system. Maybe make it a part of health class? Things that could be included would be active shooter, fire, first responder (high school) and natural disaster.

OP
OP
PVC

PVC

Forum Crew Member
How exactly is the general public going to get classroom time on active shooter situations?

If by general public you mean every American, I wouldn't have the first idea how they would see it in a classroom. I am not gonna look at the stats because I am lazy (smile) but I would think that the sum of people that are in school and are required to attend schools in their employment are a lot of people.

I suppose projecting it off the clouds like a batlight could work.

Aidey

Do you honestly think tons of employers are going to sit their employees down and have them watch a PSA? Employers who think it there is enough risk probably already have in house plans, like every hospital I've been in.

And when do you think they will be showing it in school? Health class? What age group is actually going to benefit from it? And again, if the school thinks there is enough of a risk, they probably have their own plan in place.

And as I said before, a 30 second TV commercial is useless. That is enough time to tell people the basic run, hide, fight, to which they will they will all say "no freaking duh".

So great, it is on the internet. So are about 100,000,000 cat videos. Being on the internet means some people will see it, but it doesn't ensure wide spread viewership. The people who see it have to actively seek it out, and many of those are going to be people who already have some idea of what an active shooter situation is and are probably not going to learn anything new.

In short, I am saying it was a waste of money for a PSA that will have a limited audience and advocates doing what the vast majority of people would do anyway.