Rules of EMS

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I got sent this recently so I can't take any credit for writing it. And while I have some minor quibbles with some of them, all in all I think it's a pretty decent list.

Observations of and old paramedic
1) When you sew on a new patch, you’re not an expert. It just means that some governing body has authorized you to learn your job.
2) Never, ever, ever fight with someone for the opportunity to help them feel better.
3) We don’t save lives, we postpone death.
4) Documentation serves 3 purposes: it informs the ER what you saw and what you did about it, it gives the business office the opportunity to keep your pay check from bouncing, it prevents you from looking like a fool should you be called to testify.
5) Eat when you can, pee when you can, sleep when you can.
6) The most important skill a medic can learn is when to do nothing.
7) Never mistake continuing education for expanding your knowledge base.
8) Even the most routine transfer is a learning opportunity.
9) Your protocol was written for the dumbest guy you work with.
10) Documentation is an art. Writing too much gives the plaintiff’s attorney a bigger target, writing too little makes you look look incompetent or lazy. Lots of words is a waste of time and ink. Writing things that are already mentioned elsewhere on your PCR doesn’t improve your documentation.
11) To quote Lt Col Henry Blake, “Rule number one is that young men die. Rule number two is that doctors [paramedics] can’t change rule #1.”
12) You’re the guy who has the opportunity to make someone’s worst day better.
13) “The patient isn’t the problem, the patient HAS a problem.” Norma Henry, RN
14) Quit thinking that you’re better than the RN. You aren’t. You do a different job.
15) Read. I’ll say it again, Read. Seek knowledge,
16) Never trust a single vital signs measurement. It means nothing, especially if it was measured by a machine. Trends matter, snapshots don’t.
17) Patients don’t tell the truth.
18) You can discover many things that the patient can’t tell you by looking at their meds.
19) Bad outcomes don’t indicate bad care if you’ve done your job right.
20) That annoying rookie used to be you.
21) Stupid is ubiquitous. Get used to it,
22) Recertifying as a basic should require an explanation and a waiver.
23) You’re not in charge if it isn’t about patient care. Your partner is your equal.
24) It is rarely the worst case scenario.
25) It really can be the worst case scenario.
26) Never ignore that knot in your gut.
27) Hyperventilation syndrome and panic attack are true medical emergencies in the patient’s perspective.
28)
29) Look at the patient, not the machine. Bad roads can make healthy people look very sick.
30) Be aggressive when you have to, but understand that caution and re-assessment often leaves fewer dead bodies.
31) Smooth and controlled is always better than fast.
32) If you say, “Because I can,” or, “It isn’t gonna hurt,” expect me to punch you right in the mouth.
33) EMT’s don’t save paramedics.
34) If they don’t walk through their own front door, it isn’t a save.
35) “I’ve seen it all” should only be said at a retirement ceremony and even then should be taken with a grain of salt.
36) A college degree is a measure of persistence, not intelligence. That being said, education has value.
From Steve Pike

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
28) Don't be a toolbag.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
?....

CdnArmyMedic

Forum Ride Along
11) To quote Lt Col Henry Blake, “Rule number one is that young men die. Rule number two is that doctors [paramedics] can’t change rule #1.”

Combat medics will try like hell to break rules #1 & #2