rules against tattoos?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
What's funny is fire departments who don't allow tattoos, you're either in the station where no one can see you or at a fire or mva in turn out gear

Those chiefs need to get with the times

True for the most part, our FDs wear their station uni to most medicals so just pants and a button down t-shirt or regular t-shirt in the summer. Some cover them some don't. We have to cover ours. Policy didn't change but enforcement did. That's why I ended up with a sleeve. Had a half sleeve then they said I had to cover it so I said :censored::censored::censored::censored: it. Still wanna do the other arm.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
My new agency does not have a direct policy against them that I am aware of, but my manager ask that I cover them, which is fine by me because I wear long sleeve under armour compression shirts under my uniform anyway, and this hides all the visible ones.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
At the end of the day covering your tattoos is better for them....especially if you're always in the sun. I used to cover mine electively as a lifeguard depending on how I was feeling that day.

Still think it should be a choice. Although, I do understand why most agencies still want them covered even though they're more accepted now, seeing as we deal with elderly patients quite often.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
ya I hear ya, well one day if I am in charge I'll make sure that is the case :D at least wear I work...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Where's the damn 'Like' button when you need it?!

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Anybody use those pantyhose type sleeves that match your skin color? I've noticed if the top of it is covered by your shirt sleeve and the bottom by a watch or bracelet you can't tell unless you look up close. I wore it once until I saw my supervisor has full sleeves haha

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Anybody use those pantyhose type sleeves that match your skin color? I've noticed if the top of it is covered by your shirt sleeve and the bottom by a watch or bracelet you can't tell unless you look up close. I wore it once until I saw my supervisor has full sleeves haha
I wore it when I worked at AMR. they weren't too bad

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's exactly what I wear at work. I had a pair of Under Armor sleeves but I'd have to wear both otherwise it looked way goofy so I bought a couple skin colored ones so I can wear it on my tatted arm and not the other. Otherwise I wear long sleeve UA heat gear in the summer and long sleeved button down uniform shirts when it's not cooking outside.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
That's exactly what I wear at work. I had a pair of Under Armor sleeves but I'd have to wear both otherwise it looked way goofy so I bought a couple skin colored ones so I can wear it on my tatted arm and not the other. Otherwise I wear long sleeve UA heat gear in the summer and long sleeved button down uniform shirts when it's not cooking outside.

How was it wearing those long sleeve ua heat gear? Were you noticeably hotter?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
How was it wearing those long sleeve ua heat gear? Were you noticeably hotter?

Depends. If there's any sort of a breeze or moving air I was cooler in the heat gear than in short sleeve uniform shorts. If the air is stagnant though it definitely is a touch hotter but nothing unbearable. We generally sit in the 95-105* range from June to early September.

Even if I'd get warm walking to or from the truck or in and out of the hospital is enough air movement to cool you down. Might sound like a fanboy but those shirts do work.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Depends. If there's any sort of a breeze or moving air I was cooler in the heat gear than in short sleeve uniform shorts. If the air is stagnant though it definitely is a touch hotter but nothing unbearable. We generally sit in the 95-105* range from June to early September.

Even if I'd get warm walking to or from the truck or in and out of the hospital is enough air movement to cool you down. Might sound like a fanboy but those shirts do work.

Awesome, thanks, I'll look into those if I ever decide to move out of nyc, but most likely I will stay here, nothing to complain about

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Awesome, thanks, I'll look into those if I ever decide to move out of nyc, but most likely I will stay here, nothing to complain about

Some of our cops were talking about these shirts that had battery packs that circulate cool air or fluid I can't remember which that they wear under their vests. I want one :lol:

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Some of our cops were talking about these shirts that had battery packs that circulate cool air or fluid I can't remember which that they wear under their vests. I want one :lol:

Hah, that's something actually cool, like a personalized air conditioner haha

Wonder how much they go for and if I can plug my self and charge it while doing patient care or driving:rofl:

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
They actually use those vests, of the same design as the shirts, for fire rehab operations. Let me tell you from personal experience (working rehab) that those vests really do cool you down especially in the humid GA heat.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'd love to find them. Also seen them with this vent attachment in their car that they can attach and it blows air down their vest when they're sitting in their cruiser. That'd be money if our AC worked better when we're sitting still lol.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
They actually use those vests, of the same design as the shirts, for fire rehab operations. Let me tell you from personal experience (working rehab) that those vests really do cool you down especially in the humid GA heat.
They sell a similar thing for motorcylce riders. I've worn one, and it makes full gear easily bearable out here in the desert, especially in the city.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My problem is I haven't been able to find long sleeved ones, only vests.

edit: ask and you shall receive :rofl:

http://www.coolshirt.com/media/productattachments/files/e/m/ems_flyer.pdf

pretty slick, I feel like that could get uncomfortable sitting in a rig all day but who knows. I'm wondering how bulky the reservoir and power pack is as well. Another thought I had is it might get really cold if the AC is going for your partner and you had one of these systems on and running...I'll generally take cold over hot though.

Also, who wants to guess what the long sleeve, fire rated shirt costs? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
My problem is I haven't been able to find long sleeved ones, only vests.

edit: ask and you shall receive :rofl:

http://www.coolshirt.com/media/productattachments/files/e/m/ems_flyer.pdf

pretty slick, I feel like that could get uncomfortable sitting in a rig all day but who knows. I'm wondering how bulky the reservoir and power pack is as well. Another thought I had is it might get really cold if the AC is going for your partner and you had one of these systems on and running...I'll generally take cold over hot though.

Also, who wants to guess what the long sleeve, fire rated shirt costs? :D

Around 200? Just a shot haha