Riverside County, CA EMS system evaluatiom

If anyone is interested or has been following the ongoing EMS system evaluation of Riverside County by The Abaris Group, I present to you their initial study of the current system in place, part of an ongoing study for the purposes of possibly implementing a new system in time for 2015, when AMR's contract is up. It has proven to be a very interesting read, particularly some shocking statistics....in the words of Steve Brule, check it out!

http://www.remsa.us/documents/systemevaluation/130529AbarisPresentation.pdf

Here's the page with the ongoing results.....

http://remsa.us/documents/systemevaluation/

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If the county follows what the study recommends then we are slowly making progress to become a "good" system. 911 triage with different response modes for 911 calls (code 2 or 3). Would be able to transport patients to sobering facilities, urgent cares, mental health, and taxi vouchers. Build a system for frequent fliers and system abusers. County wide training instead of company training. Also develope a pre hospital mental health program.

Now if we can just get more skills added to our protocols (honestly can't blame REMSA for keeping our skills confined due to the lack of education and training some EMTs and medics have).

Craig Alan Evans

Forum Lieutenant
Good read. Many of the problems defined are not unique to any one area in the US. Look like they proposed good solutions.

JPINFV

Gadfly
"Helicopter EMS resources appear underutilized possibly
due to a lack of defined auto-launch protocols"

ROFL.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
"Helicopter EMS resources appear underutilized possibly
due to a lack of defined auto-launch protocols"

ROFL.

Apparently they aren't up to date on the benefits of HEMS.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Do you guys think AMR will lose the contracts out in riverside county.

Not anytime soon. Since it is a county wide contract any company that wanted to take over would have to be able to get 100+ ALS ambulances (number is probably closer to 200) in a fairly short amount of time.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Apparently they aren't up to date on the benefits of HEMS.

It's no where near a perfect system. HEMS does not auto launch to any call. The on scene fire department has to put in a request to get HEMS started (ambulance can start them but it requires a couple more steps).

In my response area there are very few places where calling a HEMS unit will be helpful. In the 2+ years I have been working I have only had one patient that was flown out (CVA with transport to the closest stroke center of about an hour).

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you guys think AMR will lose the contracts out in riverside county.

What's more likely is to see the county divided up into smaller areas with different providers having the contract for their particular smaller area. Think fire departments wanting to transport within their area...Riverside City and Murrieta are some of the cities that want to do this. they are both behind the big contract eval push. It may or may not happen, but even if it does, I believe AMR has a 5 year wind down clause to help them recoup their large capital expenditures. So either way, AMR isn't going away anytime soon.

And I would love 911 call triage and a tiered response...