Rhode Island hiring?

RICollegeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I am new on here in terms of posting, but I've been lurking the forums since I started Basic school. **EDIT: Apparently this isn't my first post... whoops! I asked something similar back in July, but never really got much response.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had the 'insider scoop' on where is hiring in Rhode Island. I've put in a handful of applications, but I haven't heard back-- except to tell me I am too young!

So a little background: I've been in the fire service for the last 2 years-- been an EMT for a little over 4 months, working on a 911 system. I am 19 going on 20, but well matured for my age (This job forces you to grow up fast...) And I am a college student.

I put a couple applications in but I haven't heard anything good. A couple told me they won't hire under 21-- which is kind of stupid! Additionally another couple are still 'out'-- hoping I do hear back, but not holding out hope.

I am primarily looking for per diem type work, since I really like working 911-- dialysis run's sound like they could get monotonous-- although beggers can't be choosers! Really what I am looking for is a night/weekends type job to pay the bills-- rent, and maybe even chip away at my mountain of loans...!

I am willing to get my Mass/CT license, for a 'sure fire' position.

Anyway I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could render!

Best Regards,
-B, NREMT-B

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You're going to have issues with your age no matter what state yoy look in. Insurance companies require the 21 year minimum.

OP
OP
R

RICollegeEMT

Forum Crew Member
Its funny though, that the 911 department I do per diem for doesn't require the 21 bit. I mean driving lights and sirens with a code in the back, is slightly more dangerous than doing dialysis runs, no?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Its funny though, that the 911 department I do per diem for doesn't require the 21 bit. I mean driving lights and sirens with a code in the back, is slightly more dangerous than doing dialysis runs, no?
Different insurance companies, different requirements. Also maybe the 911 service is willing to pay a higher premium to insure 18 year olds while the dialysis company is cheaping out for a less expensive plan that only covers 21+?

And yeah, code 3 is dangerous which is why we typically reserve it for people who are in a life threatening situation, but are still alive, not for those who have already died (and actually making it harder to bring them back)

OP
OP
R

RICollegeEMT

Forum Crew Member
Very well could be! I know we're not supposed to drive the Engines till 21...

As for the dead/alive bit, perhaps our SOGs/SOPs are different... ours have us attempt resuscitation on site, and then its load-go-and-screw-to-hospital, with extra manpower.. AND for whatever reason, 90% of our calls are code 3-- even the runny nose we're required to go lights and sirens for... but that's strictly tangential.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Brewster hires younger people. I worked out of the Attleboro division for a year, which now has dual state licensed ambulances I believe. Not a bad place to work, pretty limited 911 stuff for BLS ambulances based out of there but I enjoyed it. You'll have to get an MA license obviously.

My understanding is that most of RI 911 is handled by fire districts/departments?

OP
OP
R

RICollegeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I inquired with Brewster not too long ago, and apparently they're not hiring at the moment-- although Ill definitely keep my eyes on them. I did hear that they're coming to RI...

Yes most of it is done by fire departments-- most of the smaller departments hire per diem EMTs to augment a single career guy-- atleast up here.

Thanks for the info though!