Rhode Island EOA/PASG class

NEL21SON

Forum Ride Along
Hi all!
I am a MA EMT moving to RI and I'm having a tough time finding an EOA/ PASG cert class. If anyone has any information on services or training institutions that are offering the course I would greatly appreciate it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Probably because those instruments/tools have not been used in decades.

R/r 911

OP
OP
N

NEL21SON

Forum Ride Along
So I've been told. But unfortunately it is a requirement to get a RI EMT license if you were trained out of state.

MtJerry

Forum Crew Member
Was it not taught in your original EMT-B class???

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Was it not taught in your original EMT-B class???

Probably not as EOA can be thought as an advanced airway. Actually, this is what the original EMT/I was tested over, as intubation is NOT a NREMT Intermediate skill.

PASG is still in the curriculum but most institutions "skim" over them as most places have removed them from patient care.

R/r 911

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow... this is like a bad Back To The Future sequel.

I expected the date on this thread to be 1979, not 2009.

Is the EOA even made anymore?

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow... this is like a bad Back To The Future sequel.

I expected the date on this thread to be 1979, not 2009.

Is the EOA even made anymore?

Good point. Are you reading the most up to date requirements? Is the paper-yellowed and curled? Do you drive a Delorean? Or is RI just lagging in the on-paper requirements?

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I just looked at the reciprocity requirements, and yes, the most recent forms do ask if you've been trained on the two.

RI Protocols as of March 2008 indicate the PASG for abdominal and lower extremity hemorrhage, pelvic fx., anaphylaxis, and shock when transport time is more than 5 minutes. And I have to say, although they still have some outdated stuff, the protocols are much better organized than Massachusetts'.

OP, if you do find one, post it here. I'd like to get an RI license as well.

MtJerry

Forum Crew Member
Anaphalaxis??? That's wierd ....

Transport >5 minutes?? I can get you to the ER before you get them on the Pt. Then again, if triage time of 30+ min.

Interesting ...

OP
OP
N

NEL21SON

Forum Ride Along
I just looked at the reciprocity requirements, and yes, the most recent forms do ask if you've been trained on the two.

RI Protocols as of March 2008 indicate the PASG for abdominal and lower extremity hemorrhage, pelvic fx., anaphylaxis, and shock when transport time is more than 5 minutes. And I have to say, although they still have some outdated stuff, the protocols are much better organized than Massachusetts'.

OP, if you do find one, post it here. I'd like to get an RI license as well.[/QUOTE

As soon as I find one I'll post it.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I can get you to the ER before you get them on the Pt.
Maybe you can beat a rookie, but not a veteran. We became pretty adept at applying and inflating MAST in less than a minute during the 80s. Those that have practiced it can do it faster than you can take a blood pressure.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Can I just ask a quick, obvious question:

We are not talking about a large state here, or one with many rural areas. This is the smallest state in the country, with a little more then 1,500 square miles. Very few RI services are going to have a transport time ANYWHERE of over 15-20 minutes, heck, its said that no RI resident lives more then 35 miles from the ocean!

There is at least one Level I trauma center (RIH in Providence), and a quick ride in to MA or CT for other hospitals.

SO, this all begs the question of why they are training everyone on technology that has been dismissed as ineffective and has been retired in the rest of the country for some time.

I guess I just see more practical (and scientifically proven) treatments and therapies for the conditions that Mr. Conspiracy mentioned....?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
PASG aren't "useless"... just not really used for the original intended situation.

mikie

Forum Lurker
EOwho?

For my basic class, few years back, we learned both CombiTube & EOA...we got to chose which one for testing.

...haven't seen an EOA since!

piranah

Forum Captain
since im probably the only RI rep here ill explain....the EOA is still in our protocol...ive never used it...PASG is also in the protocol and is still taught...RI transport is at max 50 mins to the trauma 1 form lets say westerly or south county area...also 45min from newport to prov.....but we have a few hospitals we have i believe 10 total hospitals spread. 7 just in providence. our state is 10 years behind in EMS we still use a cardiac level which is like a 6 month coarse that gives you all abilities of a paramedic with a few meds and skills taken out....hopefully this will be outdated when the NREMT brings the AEMT around...

piranah

Forum Captain
any questions about RI you can PM me...if i don't know it ill find out

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
According to one of my co-workers who just added a RI cert, Safety Program Consultants in Taunton offers an upgrade course for basics for RI for $75. I've looked at their site (http://www.4spci.com) and can't seem to find course offerings, but I'll email them about it.