Rhode Island EMT-C...challenge NREMT-I??

medic417

The Truth Provider

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why do you say its hard enough to teach cardiacs that go through paramedic school to be good paramedics?? I would think they would be good paramedics because they are already practicing at a high level and its only the addition of a few drugs and procedures.

Doing ALS skills does not equate to "practicing at a high level". Just because they know HOW to do a skill does not mean they know when/why to use it.

Someone that can do 90% of my skills, but only 1/3 of my knowledge base, is not an equal level provider.

OP
OP
bryncvp

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
I didnt say Cardiacs are an equal provider to Medics..of course they arent. I was just saying that if you have a class of cardiacs, it seems like that class would be easier because you dont have to build on knowledge and skills from a 'basic' level..they are already ALS. I completely understand the 'breaking bad habits' line. That makes a lot of sense.

sq3hjfd

Forum Probie
Of course we know when/why to use a skill. We don't run around sticking iv's and defibrilating, and pushing drugs for no reason. What a stupid statement.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
A Cardiac's knowledge in understanding the when/why/how of diseases and interventions is on par with that of a Paramedic?

sq3hjfd

Forum Probie
I didn't the knowledge level was the same. I said we know when and why to use an intervention. U made it sound like we just do the procedure because that's what we are supposed to do.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I didn't the knowledge level was the same. I said we know when and why to use an intervention. U made it sound like we just do the procedure because that's what we are supposed to do.

Sometimes the hardest part is knowing when NOT to do an intervention. I think that might have been what he was trying to get at

sq3hjfd

Forum Probie
Nobody is denying that paramedic is a higher level of care. But here in RI, the Cardiac level works just fine with the longest transport being no more than half an hour.

piranah

Forum Captain
please do not use that excuse of a transport time of being less than a half hour that is no reason for some shoty care given....It's a pet peeve of mine. I do want to make it understood I am not bashing cardiacs, I have some fanstastic, way more experienced cardiacs I work with that I always bounce ideas off of. It all truly depends on what class they go to, truly and what year they took it. On a side note I've worked with some great cardiacs that come out of smithfield. I'm just saying I just don't like the fact that the highest level of care is not the standard here. Like I said do what is best for your position. I went from basic to medic and I did fine without the "step".