Rhode Island EMT-C...challenge NREMT-I??

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
Hi everyone...quick question. I am about to start my EMT-C class this summer and I was wondering if you could challenge the NREMT-I test after taking the EMT-C class? Apparenly the EMT-C certificatioin is a little higher then the NREMT-I, but as you know, the EMT-C isnt recognized anywhere but the Ocean State. If I move, I want to be able to at least take an ALS certification with me...thats the reason for the inquiry. I have no plans to move at this time, but I would like to have a National Registry in my back pocket if that ever happens. Anyone have any ideas if you can challenge the NREMT-I test after taking an EMT-C class/test?

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
Other side of the boat

I am doing EMT-I now in another state but was looking to move to R.I but cant because they wont take my EMT-I

I dont think the states should be able to do that, we need national standards and nationally recongized levels across all 50 states.

Id contact the NREMT and see what they say. But even if you pass it, if you dont have the training your new state requires they might make you go back through class again.

how long is emt-c training?

sq3hjfd

Forum Probie
You can challenge the Intermediate in Massachusetts. Checkout the Massachusetts Offfice of EMS webpage.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We've had this discussed before and the general consensus was that RI EMT-C does not qualify to test for NREMT-I at either level

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I am doing EMT-I now in another state but was looking to move to R.I but cant because they wont take my EMT-I

I dont think the states should be able to do that, we need national standards and nationally recongized levels across all 50 states.

Id contact the NREMT and see what they say. But even if you pass it, if you dont have the training your new state requires they might make you go back through class again.

how long is emt-c training?

Good luck with that, as long as there are state like NJ and CA it's never gonna happen.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Good luck with that, as long as there are state like NJ and CA it's never gonna happen.

California, you mean the state that is adapting the majority of new standards, including nomenclature, come July?

JPINFV

Gadfly

A direct requirement won't ever pass a constitutionality challenge (outside the "scope of practice" of the Federal Government, so to speak) and I don't think there's enough grant funding going to the state governments to qualify for a power of the purse requirement.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
California, you mean the state that is adapting the majority of new standards, including nomenclature, come July?

So they're getting rid of the county by county certs, expanding scope to equal with the rest of the nation? That I didn't know.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Actually, we're contracting the EMT-2 scope to equal the new AEMT level, however current practicing EMT-2s can opt to be grandfathered in, provided their county allows it.

The counties are still the entity issuing the certifications, however it has always been a cert from one county is good in all counties, so you've never needed multiple EMT-1 certifications (other local certifications may apply though, but that is hardly unique to California, i.e. REMAC enodorsements in New York State).

Require all EMTs to obtain a background check whereas before a handful of counties didn't require it.

Establishment of a central state registry for certifications of levels below paramedic (which has been state wide for a while now).

California EMT-2010 project page: http://www.emsa.ca.gov/about/EMT2010_Cover.asp

If the scope of practice and protocol on a county by county basis is a concern, feel free to replace the term "county" with the term "region" and then feel free to complain about every state that has region by region changes in scope and protocol.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bryncvp

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
I spoke to the registry about this...the RI issue..not the CA issuse and they said that the EMt-C of RI can be a challenge to the I-85 level of certification. Even thought the EMT-C is basically the I-99 level (we even use their book in class and some classes use a medic book) the education TIME is not equal...therefore..a cardiac can challenge the I-85. I have no idea what is in store for people after the new levels come out. I am going to pass the EMT-C state test...challenge the registry 85 test and see what to do about the AEMT level. I just dont want to be screwed if I ever move out of RI..dont want this summer to be a huge waste of time.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I spoke to the registry about this...the RI issue..not the CA issuse and they said that the EMt-C of RI can be a challenge to the I-85 level of certification. Even thought the EMT-C is basically the I-99 level (we even use their book in class and some classes use a medic book) the education TIME is not equal...therefore..a cardiac can challenge the I-85. I have no idea what is in store for people after the new levels come out. I am going to pass the EMT-C state test...challenge the registry 85 test and see what to do about the AEMT level. I just dont want to be screwed if I ever move out of RI..dont want this summer to be a huge waste of time.

In that case... People with I/85 will just have to do a short transition course to certify at the AEMT level from what I read. I/99s will either have to go to medic school or downgrade to AEMT.

1badassEMT-I

Forum Lieutenant
Why not get the I-99 and bridge to P? Thats what I am doing....but thats WV

OP
OP
bryncvp

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
Now because the EMT-C is closer to the I-99 (and in some cases, the skills are beyond that of an I-99) the state of RI is looking in to bridging Cardiacs to the Medic level. I doubt this will happen anytime soon, but they are 'looking into it'.

Does anyone know if these bridging courses to the AEMT will be provided online or are they an 'in class' type thing?

1badassEMT-I

Forum Lieutenant
EMT-C will not surpass the EMT-I 99 program.......if so i think they would be doing it all over the country dont you think? Just a tought....to me it is easier to go thru the I-99 program and bridge the P.......And then you get people to ask why not just go for your P and not mess with the I...... to me that was easy the cost!!!!! It was cheaper for me to get the I and bridge to the P....Does RI even have the I program there????

1badassEMT-I

Forum Lieutenant
By the way if you do move out of RI it is easier to have the I-99 than the I-85 as the i-85 is the old standard most states have gone away from....thats why they came out with I-99....:p

OP
OP
bryncvp

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
RI's I is the Cardiac. The levels are Basic, Cardiac and Medic. And comparing the Cardiac to the I99...I was just taking the information from the State and te Registry...they said the Cardiac is equal to I99 and surpass it in some aspects in skills and standing orders ONLY. The class time is much more for the I99 and that is the only reason why we can only challenge the I85. From what I understand, RI is very liberal as far as their EMS goes and there are new protocols coming out to allows is to be even more liberal. No more med control for morphine...TCP is standard...etc. The only downside is that it's not good outside RI...although my instructor claims we can challenge the medic test in Florida after getting our cardiac license...apparently there are 2 medic levels in FL? The challenge would be for Medic I.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Last time I looked FL only has 1 level of medic and I don't see how I/99 or RI EMT-C would be able to challenge it ,since neither level has the education to back up the skills

1badassEMT-I

Forum Lieutenant
I see what you are saying.....however the Cardiac program is being removed from some states and they going to I-99 programs.....just make sense that you get the I-99 because outside of RI as far as that goes you are just a BASIC EMT... see what I am saying..... I dont know of any state that will let you challenge that....

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I see what you are saying.....however the Cardiac program is being removed from some states and they going to I-99 programs.....just make sense that you get the I-99 because outside of RI as far as that goes you are just a BASIC EMT... see what I am saying..... I dont know of any state that will let you challenge that....

Why bother going to an I/99 level in those states? NR is phasing out the Intermediate levels in a few years to be replaced with AEMT which is close to I/85 than I/99. (and you can challenge the NR to take the EMT-I exam that corresponds with your state level. Which is why I'm an I/85 and not an I/99 since I finished the majority of medic school. NM only recognizes I/85.)