Required Vaccinations prier to doing ride-ons?

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
What vaccinations/tests do you have get prier to going on your EMS Ride along for New Jersey? Ex. Blood test, needles, what? I recently joined Hopatcong Ambulence Squad, and so far, I know I need my TB test done. Are there certain types of Hepititis needles you need to get? Do the Hepititis needles every expire? Last time I got mine, was August 9, 1995. So, I'm unsure if I need to get it renewed, or what. I am also unsure of something else. When I was talking to one of my Advisers on the EMS Explorer's group, they said I need to get my Blood pathogens done. What is that? Sometest with a needle or what? Thanks! This will help me in the long run, as I start my EMS training hopefully soon!

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
What vaccinations/tests do you have get prier to going on your EMS Ride along for New Jersey? Ex. Blood test, needles, what? I recently joined Hopatcong Ambulence Squad, and so far, I know I need my TB test done. Are there certain types of Hepititis needles you need to get? Do the Hepititis needles every expire? Last time I got mine, was August 9, 1995. So, I'm unsure if I need to get it renewed, or what. I am also unsure of something else. When I was talking to one of my Advisers on the EMS Explorer's group, they said I need to get my Blood pathogens done. What is that? Sometest with a needle or what? Thanks! This will help me in the long run, as I start my EMS training hopefully soon!

Your explorer post advisor should be able to answer all your questions and concerns regarding ride time.

Sorry, I do not understand what you are trying to ask about needles?

There are a few different tests that screen for the hepatitis anitbodies, requiring a blood draw.

A blood draw will require a needle.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I think he may be confusing needle with vaccination or immunization.
Usually, vaccinations necessary to be in school are satisfactory to ride alone. Make sure you finished your Hep B series (3 vaccinations), have a Tetanus within the last 10 years. Getting a PPD (TB test) within 12 months certainly doesnt hurt. The last thing they may ask for is a influenza vaccination (seasonal or H1N1), as I am seeing ambulance companies around here do...

Hope this helps, but again, please consult your advisor.

OP
OP
E

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
I think he may be confusing needle with vaccination or immunization.
Usually, vaccinations necessary to be in school are satisfactory to ride alone. Make sure you finished your Hep B series (3 vaccinations), have a Tetanus within the last 10 years. Getting a PPD (TB test) within 12 months certainly doesnt hurt. The last thing they may ask for is a influenza vaccination (seasonal or H1N1), as I am seeing ambulance companies around here do...

Hope this helps, but again, please consult your advisor.

Okay, thank you so much! Do the Hep B series have to be redone? I got two in 94, and one in 95. And, my dad already filled out my Hep B's. I had a Tetnus, also in the 1990's; all five of them.
And, does it go along with a blood drawn test?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay, thank you so much! Do the Hep B series have to be redone? I got two in 94, and one in 95. And, my dad already filled out my Hep B's. I had a Tetnus, also in the 1990's; all five of them.
And, does it go along with a blood drawn test?

Hep-B complete or started (no booster required) or Titer

Chicken Pox Vac or proof of having had or titer

PPD - Current negative TB test or neg. chest x-ray (your choice)

Tetanus in the last 10 years (no titer available)

Proof of MMR's or titer

H1N1 and Hep-A are suggested but last I knew, not required. Many young school children have had a Hep-A vac. Provide proof if you have.

If you have not had a menengitis vac, please consider one at your age.

** Titers are quite costly so check your pediatric records before doing anything.

OP
OP
E

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
Hep-B complete or started (no booster required) or Titer

Chicken Pox Vac or proof of having had or titer

PPD - Current negative TB test or neg. chest x-ray (your choice)

Tetanus in the last 10 years (no titer available)

Proof of MMR's or titer

H1N1 and Hep-A are suggested but last I knew, not required. Many young school children have had a Hep-A vac. Provide proof if you have.

If you have not had a menengitis vac, please consider one at your age.

** Titers are quite costly so check your pediatric records before doing anything.

Okay, what does Titer mean? And what is the Chest x-ray thing about? I'm not in EMS yet; preparing for ride-alongs; when I hit 16 in sept. Just doign research on what to expect prier to it before-hand. So; I don't know anything yet.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay, what does Titer mean? And what is the Chest x-ray thing about? I'm not in EMS yet; preparing for ride-alongs; when I hit 16 in sept. Just doign research on what to expect prier to it before-hand. So; I don't know anything yet.

A Titer is just a blood test to see if you have antibodies. It's used sometimes when shots are not on record. A chest x-ray is just another way to rule out TB. No worries, some prefer it to the traditional TB test. I'm sure you have shot records, eh?

OP
OP
E

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
A Titer is just a blood test to see if you have antibodies. It's used sometimes when shots are not on record. A chest x-ray is just another way to rule out TB. No worries, some prefer it to the traditional TB test. I'm sure you have shot records, eh?

Okay, thanks for simplifying it. I'm not very fond of needles; so, I kinda like doing research on the recommended/ what to expect from my doctors. And yeah; I didn't realize how many vaccinations I had between 1994 and 1995. Before I was even age 1; I had 17. That is kinda..Freaky/scary; which maybe why I am not fond of them.

medic417

The Truth Provider
My advice is not to listen to people that no one knows if they actually know anything and go to those in charge of your program. Requirements vary from program to program. In some cases your program will require certain items but the clinical sites may require even more. So go to those in charge rather than a site like this.

JPINFV

Gadfly

As a side note, sometimes titers are required just to confirm that you still immune to a specific disease.