Reno FD single role, REMSA.

shadowmedic

Forum Ride Along
Curious if anyone has insight on the current state of EMS around Reno. Finding Reno FD announced they are hiring single role transport medics. Has Reno FD already been transporting when needed?
How much of this is seen as competition to REMSA medics vs a positive thing? Is RFD "jumping" the calls they want, or only utilized when REMSA requests for help with volume?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Based on no first hand knowledge, it looks like REMSA doesn't qualify Ground Emergency Medical Transport (likely because they are a private entity/), but the city would, so the FD is trying to get some of that grant money. Currently the FD responds to all EMS runs, but REMSA transports the patient (since 2016, as per the article), so neither agency can get the grant money.

Is this good? don't know... Many FDs want to get into EMS because they think they will make a lot of money from grants and reimbursements, and soon find out that it isn't as lucrative as the numbers look on paper.

One thing I find interesting is the FD is standing up 6 ambulances, but they have 12 fire stations, and the crews will be working a 48 hour shifts on a FD schedule. So either those FD ambulances will be running all day and night, or the city leadership will say that they are losing money by having REMSA transport while the City ambulances stay in the fire stations, and want the city owned ambulance to transports beyond their first due, or, if they are paying more than REMSA, the paramedics will apply to work for the city, and work for REMSA part time on their days off, esp since the FD typically offers better benefits than a private ambulance service.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
Based on no first hand knowledge...

One thing I find interesting is the FD is standing up 6 ambulances, but they have 12 fire stations, and the crews will be working a 48 hour shifts on a FD schedule. So either those FD ambulances will be running all day and night...

Can someone in Reno chime in? Stand up 48s? That can't possibly be a thing.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
The only guy I know who worked in Reno doesn't post here anymore. I don't see him posting on Facebook anymore either. :[

Beachparasite

Forum Ride Along
Just replying to thread to update those interested. I work at a neighbor agency and have some insight (rumor mill).

Reno FD is pursuing the EMS contract (only management staff truly know the details at this point). RFD is having multiple academies this year and into the next in an attempt to onboard enough medics for when they take over the 911 transport ( no timeline on this). I believe there is only one fully staffed ambulance that transports in it's first due at this time (on a 48/96). Rumor is that the schedule will still be 48/96 with 8-10 ambulances which would be enough to keep crews from being run into the ground (in theory), not sure on the validity of this. There are also rumors it will be a rotating 12 hr schedule 36 1 week and 48 1 week but they haven't hired enough medics nor have enough on staff combined with the new hires to have this schedule ( unless they absorb Remsa employees). And that is why Remsa was having issues to begin with (they are four 10's a week) which makes them a revolving door for employees. Sparks FD also transports who does a 48 so if RFD goes that route it's doable with just more ambulances.

Again only higher ups truly know the details and time will tell how well this is rolled out. It is believed REMSA will then become an IFT agency by 2025 who responds to the occasional 911

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Sounds miserable

Beachparasite

Forum Ride Along
My agency transports and are a 48 hr, which after experiencing this I will never go back to the rotating 12s or the four 10s. Ya when you get those shifts that you get shafted they suck but we have a fatigue clause that gives you 4 hours to log off and get rest. Its all about how they roll this out but like everyone knows that you haven't seen a system run poorly till a fire agency takes over 911 transport. I just hope they hire actual EMS leaders who can formulate a plan on rolling out the service vs having some BCs or DCs doing it who worked on an ambulance (or not) 15+ years ago for maybe 6 months before jumping on an engine.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Just replying to thread to update those interested. I work at a neighbor agency and have some insight (rumor mill).

Reno FD is pursuing the EMS contract (only management staff truly know the details at this point). RFD is having multiple academies this year and into the next in an attempt to onboard enough medics for when they take over the 911 transport ( no timeline on this). I believe there is only one fully staffed ambulance that transports in it's first due at this time (on a 48/96). Rumor is that the schedule will still be 48/96 with 8-10 ambulances which would be enough to keep crews from being run into the ground (in theory), not sure on the validity of this. There are also rumors it will be a rotating 12 hr schedule 36 1 week and 48 1 week but they haven't hired enough medics nor have enough on staff combined with the new hires to have this schedule ( unless they absorb Remsa employees). And that is why Remsa was having issues to begin with (they are four 10's a week) which makes them a revolving door for employees. Sparks FD also transports who does a 48 so if RFD goes that route it's doable with just more ambulances.

Again only higher ups truly know the details and time will tell how well this is rolled out. It is believed REMSA will then become an IFT agency by 2025 who responds to the occasional 911

Curious if you have any insight on what that would mean for REMSAs other divisions/work outside of the Reno 911 contract? Not in a big hurry to move out of my current gig anytime soon, but their Rural Paramedic gig they run in Tonopah/Nye caught my eye.

Beachparasite

Forum Ride Along
Remsa will be keeping those remote city, mining operations, and California contracts. They are a big opporation so they will not be going away. There still is no word on when the FDs will take over 911 or if it will be a slow transition. And RFD only has one ambulance right now and they will need a lot more besides SFD still has not agreed to participate which is needed (they have ambulances but do not want to have them go county wide, is the rumor).

Those remote positions are cool if you want to build your resume for remote medicine but realize you have no ambulance and are alone. The Tonopah medic has to rely on volunteers to opporate an ambulance that you use to rendezvous with an ambulance from Reno. You have RSI, Cric, Keppra, Vasopressors, I think they still have beta blockers and antibotics for exposed trauma in their scope as well (similar to HGHEMS). Its a 4 day shift and every call will be 4 hours min (if you get calls). You will have to study alot since call volume is very low. The bad part is when you have a call before getting off or if someone calls off. The commute plus low pay makes it hard to justify the gas cost. I believe it is 25 an hour and up.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Remsa will be keeping those remote city, mining operations, and California contracts. They are a big opporation so they will not be going away. There still is no word on when the FDs will take over 911 or if it will be a slow transition. And RFD only has one ambulance right now and they will need a lot more besides SFD still has not agreed to participate which is needed (they have ambulances but do not want to have them go county wide, is the rumor).

Those remote positions are cool if you want to build your resume for remote medicine but realize you have no ambulance and are alone. The Tonopah medic has to rely on volunteers to opporate an ambulance that you use to rendezvous with an ambulance from Reno. You have RSI, Cric, Keppra, Vasopressors, I think they still have beta blockers and antibotics for exposed trauma in their scope as well (similar to HGHEMS). Its a 4 day shift and every call will be 4 hours min (if you get calls). You will have to study alot since call volume is very low. The bad part is when you have a call before getting off or if someone calls off. The commute plus low pay makes it hard to justify the gas cost. I believe it is 25 an hour and up.

Thanks for that. I work a rural Colorado district with similar transport times and volume, so something I'm not unfamiliar with. I'm crazy, but that kind of system and schedule have a lot of appeal to me. I love my district and the region, so if I can stay out here it would be great but always looking at other opportunities. Big thing is the housing, if I can't find something long term here that's "affordable" I can't continue to stay out here.

Curious how those hourly rates transfer to a yearly given the baked in OT.

Beachparasite

Forum Ride Along
Sounds like you are familiar with that kind of work schedule. Since your interested the mining paramedic jobs are a much better gig with a 4 on and 10 off schedule and they pay 95K and up a year for a paramedic. The remsa position at Tonopah I am out of the loop on total comp and how it breaks down but if it came out to 90k plus a year it would be worth it for sure. If you are interested in the role their HR department is responsive and they really need experienced medics. The jobs at the mines are where it is at for higher pay, otherwise it's the fire departments like Reno, Sparks, and Carson who pay the best with Remsa following ahead of Truckee meadows fire or south lake fire. There is pyramid lake or Lyon county fire but from what I know their pay is really low for not having good benifits.

Other agencies to look at for a good schedule are HGH EMS who have a 2 on 5 off schedule (they are the rescue and Hazmat as well). But the pay is around 60-65k annually if you work no overtime and are 2.5 hours north of Reno. They also handle all the IFTs from their hospital so 6.5 hours a day or night is devoted to an IFT. Also their Health insurance options are crap so another knock on them if you need it for the family.

Housing in Reno:

Lots of folks from CA moved here (myself included) during covid so housing went crazy. Houses that were 250k in 2019 are now over 400k. But things appear to be changing (just know it took the housing market till 2012 to hit the low after the 09 recession). If you are looking for cheaper housing that is the issue everywhere man. Reno rents are 1900 for luxury 1BD apartments and 2k for a 3BD 2 BTH house in good neighborhoods. If you have kids the schools in the area suck but the private ones are some of the best in the nation (very pricey). I love it here for skiing and water sports with a short flight to So Cal and plenty of BLM for shooting sports.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
The appeal for the REMSA Tonopah gig was the community paramedic role as well. I was looking at some of the real estate sites out of curiosity and there were a handful of studio and 1 bed condos that appeared like they'd be in the ball park of affordability with the VA loan. I'm planning on taking some much needed vacations next year once school and NREMT is officially done, so it'll likely be a spot to pop out for a quick trip next year and get a better feel.

Beachparasite

Forum Ride Along
If you are ok with living Downtown there are great 1bd and Studio's that are below 1500 a month. But if you want a gym, pool, and garage parking than 1500 is pretty much what you will have to pay.

I do not know your experience level but for the Tonopah gig they want medics with years of experience, but still apply even if you don't since it never hurts. I would recommend HGH EMS since they have a good schedule and they have some crazy calls. They cover into Oregon and Idaho as well. That would give you the schedule you want and experience to go elsewhere.

If you are moving out west and are not limited to Reno I would recommend AMR in Santa Clara or Santa Cruz county CA (I came from there). You will make far more and have unlimited OT if you want it (I made 178k one year {limited time off} and 119k was my lowest). It just is very busy, limited scope, only 12 hr schedules, and lots of traffic. If you are staying in EMS or Fire for a career I would say go further west. If you are attending school go to reno and get with an agency that has a better schedule since your scope will better prep you for RN, PA, or even MD/DO

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Nothing I'm looking at anytime soon, so I'll have time to get some experience. Just keeping options in mind.

Beachparasite

Forum Ride Along
If you are just starting out definitely work in a busy city system before going to a slow rural system. I feel 1 year on a box in a busy system is like a decade on an engine or rural system in terms of experience.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
So far I've done:

Multiple IFT gigs; 2 years as an EMT in a high volume urban; going on 4 1/2 years as an EMT in a rural system; ICU and ER techl; urgent care tech for a bit. I really have no interest in going back to the city. Doing my internship and registry for Paramedic over this summer/fall.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are ok with living Downtown there are great 1bd and Studio's that are below 1500 a month. But if you want a gym, pool, and garage parking than 1500 is pretty much what you will have to pay.

I do not know your experience level but for the Tonopah gig they want medics with years of experience, but still apply even if you don't since it never hurts. I would recommend HGH EMS since they have a good schedule and they have some crazy calls. They cover into Oregon and Idaho as well. That would give you the schedule you want and experience to go elsewhere.

If you are moving out west and are not limited to Reno I would recommend AMR in Santa Clara or Santa Cruz county CA (I came from there). You will make far more and have unlimited OT if you want it (I made 178k one year {limited time off} and 119k was my lowest). It just is very busy, limited scope, only 12 hr schedules, and lots of traffic. If you are staying in EMS or Fire for a career I would say go further west. If you are attending school go to reno and get with an agency that has a better schedule since your scope will better prep you for RN, PA, or even MD/DO
Just know that you won’t be able to find anything affordable in SCZ County, and SC county is iffy as well…unless you like living in a high crime area.

Beachparasite

Forum Ride Along
Just know that you won’t be able to find anything affordable in SCZ County, and SC county is iffy as well…unless you like living in a high crime area.

For those areas unless you work your *** off with OT to afford the high mortgage/rent you will definitely be commuting. I lived in Willow Glen and I got out at the high. There won't be anything affordable for purchase in the bay for quite some time.

Beachparasite

Forum Ride Along
So far I've done:

Multiple IFT gigs; 2 years as an EMT in a high volume urban; going on 4 1/2 years as an EMT in a rural system; ICU and ER techl; urgent care tech for a bit. I really have no interest in going back to the city. Doing my internship and registry for Paramedic over this summer/fall.
TBH man I would say try to just get on with a Fire department (choose the highest paying) when you can. EMS is a great career but far too many agencies do not pay enough nor have great benefits. EMS agencies here are very popular with the medical and nursing students since they have schedules that align with UNR

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
For those areas unless you work your *** off with OT to afford the high mortgage/rent you will definitely be commuting. I lived in Willow Glen and I got out at the high. There won't be anything affordable for purchase in the bay for quite some time.
Well…he COULD just squat in an empty or live in a tent. SCZ hands them out free.