remember when you were new emt

band aid man

Forum Crew Member
So I'm curious when you were a brand new emt what was the first think to get you first thing to make you feel brand new and relise this isn't class anymore

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
First call ever was for a 1yo who pulled a pot of boiling water over herself, with burns over 60% of her body. When you tried to pick her up the skin would just peel off on your gloves. Walking into a house full of 8-10 screaming family members having never run a call before quickly teaches you scene management is a little more complicated than any class could convey.

TattooedNay

Forum Crew Member
When we were en route to my first pre hospital code, how nervous I was. We arrived on scene, stomped through about 3 feet of snow to reach the pt. I had some hardcore adrenaline pulsing through my veins, pt's SO was screaming, family and neighbors were staring through the window. But once we put our gear down my training kicked in. It was like a ballet. A morbid, pretty little dance. I just remember how quickly and efficiently we worked together. We did compressions, hooked him up to the monitor,bagged, tubed, drilled, boarded, secured the pt while weaving straps in between legs of the crew from the second truck while they were doing compressions... next thing I know I was in the back with my partner while a LEO drove (terribly might I add) us to the hospital. I remember while en route- alternating compressions, bagging, having my partner pop off tops which were flying everywhere and drawing up meds so seamlessly in a box being thrown around. I think THAT was my holy guacamole moment. I can't really describe it. It was a great crew on that night. Not all calls go like that. No class will ever fully prepare you for it.