Relocating to TX, Starting wage for medic really 10.31 ?

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
Just thought I would get some input from everyone, called a company today in East TX and they reported that they start they new medics at 10.31 for a 24. Is this the average going rate for new medics in TX ? Any suggestion on employers that are hiring in TX right now ?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
You have to remember that the cost of living is way lower there. So that wage, while similar to what you'd make here, would be very livable out there

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Check acadian.com.

Multiple openings in Texas and the pay is much better than that.

OP
OP
caliboosted

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
Ive researched the living, average for a 1 bedroom apt seems to be 500-700. Same as redding, CA. Again I don't live in TX though so I can only speak from my meager phone / online research :)

medic417

The Truth Provider
Depends where in Texas. Some non fire services pay $20+ an hour.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol you from redding? Im up in Weaverville. Shoot m@e a PM. Curious why your leaving Redding

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Texas is a big place and while the cost of living is generally lower than Cali that can depend on area. Even saying east Texas doesn't narrow things down much. Remember there's no state income tax which helps but property taxes can be pretty steep in comparison to Cali. In general though Adam is right your money will go a bit further.

OP
OP
caliboosted

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
awesome well thanx for the heads up, I didn't know about the income tax and like you guys say TX is so big its hard to say specifically what the hourly wage is throughout. Maybe some people will share what they have over heard or know of in terms of area and hourly wages. I definitely don't expect or want anyone disclosing info they shouldn't or could get them in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
$10.31 for a medic?

That's starting pay for a basic here.

OP
OP
caliboosted

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
In case anyone is wondering Im actually from San Jose, CA. Moved to redding to go to medic school.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Just thought I would get some input from everyone, called a company today in East TX and they reported that they start they new medics at 10.31 for a 24. Is this the average going rate for new medics in TX ? Any suggestion on employers that are hiring in TX right now ?

South Texas here, most basics start off more than that. I would laugh and walk out if they offered me $10.31. And yes, cost of living is great down here. Especially San Antonio and surrounding cities.

OP
OP
caliboosted

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
Awesome thanks for the advice, this company I talked to today made it sound like it was the fairly average rate.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
$10.31 and East Texas... I bet their colors are maroon and white. Their $10.31/hr for 24hr shift is equal to their $15/hr for 12hr shifts. You're looking at about $1,100 take home, after taxes and deductions. It's the norm for that part of Texas (which is dominated by 2 agencies who pay the same), but not the norm an hour to their west in the DFW metroplex.

I know there are several members on this forum that have worked for both those agencies...

Worked. Key word.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
hey Linuss I sent you PM last night did you ever get a chance to read it ?

I only told you bout Central Texas

DFW area you got Medstar and AMR Arlington, also Careflite.

South you got Acadian(911) and uhhhhhhhhh, I don't know of many more privates down south that I would feel comfortable referring you to.

East? Well, there are over 300 in Houston alone. Cypress creek is a good one.

West? Well, there are better people to ask on here than me like Rocketmedic

North? AMR Amirillo, Lubbock EMS, AMR Whichita Falls

This is just a list of the privates like you had asked.

Last edited by a moderator: