ratted out partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I posted the entire day if you look on the middle of page two

Right. Sounds like there were several things that your partner was doing that irritated you. But again, at any time did you address it with them directly? Offering to drive isn't the same as saying, "Hey, I'd appreciate it if you weren't texting while you drive. It makes me a little uncomfortable."

grow-a-pair.jpg

OP
OP
V

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
TheLocalMc;521399Right. Ssomeonyds like there were several things that your partner was doing that irritated you. But again said:
http://thebadassblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/grow-a-pair.jpg[/IMG]

Since i asked for your opinion, I'll bite. How many times is necessary before you realize it's not working? There are only so many ways to tell someone they are stupid. Provide me with twelve hours of statements that say, "Ho, stop that," before you just give up? How many accidents will it take you ask? One. I don't care if it's just me and him texting, but there was a patient who expects us to give 110% every time we see them. You might base your care on how You want your family treated but i treat my patients how i would have treated A police officer/fireman/boss/etc.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Since i asked for your opinion, I'll bite. How many times is necessary before you realize it's not working? There are only so many ways to tell someone they are stupid. Provide me with twelve hours of statements that say, "Ho, stop that," before you just give up? How many accidents will it take you ask? One. I don't care if it's just me and him texting, but there was a patient who expects us to give 110% every time we see them. You might base your care on how You want your family treated but i treat my patients how i would have treated A police officer/fireman/boss/etc.

You seem to be evading the question, so I'll ask it more bluntly and provide pre-formatted responses.

Did you ask your partner to stop texting and driving? (Hint: this is a 'yes or no' question only, there is no credit for things like, "I hinted at it" or "I offered to drive".)

YES or NO

If you answered YES, great! You did the right thing. And if you already addressed the problem with them, and it continues to be a problem, then you may be justified in bringing it to a supervisor.

If you answered NO, then you probably made a mistake. Unless the issue is VERY significant (theft, narcotic diversion, abuse, sexual harassment etc.) you should always address the issue directly with your partner.

Not only will talking to them directly generally correct the problem, but you'll show both your coworkers and your management that you are confident and competent, and not 'that guy' who brings every little problem directly to a supervisor.

OP
OP
V

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
Yyeem to be evading the question, so I'll ask it more bluntly and provide pre-formatted responses.

Did you ask your partner to stop texting and driving? (Hint: this is a 'yes or no' question only, there is no credit for things like, "I hinted at it" or "I offered to drive".)

YES or NO

If you answered YES, great! You did the right thing. And if you already addressed the problem with them, and it continues to be a problem, then you may be justified in bringing it to a supervisor.

If you answered NO, then you probably made a mistake. Unless the issue is VERY significant (theft, narcotic diversion, abuse, sexual harassment etc.) you should always address the issue directly with your partner.

Not only will talking to them directly generally correct the problem, but you'll show both your coworkers and your management that you are confident and competent, and not 'that guy' who brings every little problem directly to a supervisor.

Yes i answered yes plenty of times.

Last edited by a moderator:

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not the fact that people disagree that it is unsafe. More disagreeing with the pathway that was insinuated in the original post.
What the hell is the matter with you people? And yeah, I mean everyone who posted in this thread.
Just ratted partner for testing while driving, feel like :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Advice/opinion?
What part of that insinuates in any way, shape, or form that this was done in one particular way or another?

A person comes on, says they just reported their partner for unsafe actions and feels bad about it, and the immediate response is to jump their :censored::censored::censored::censored: because...why?

Talk about a highschool mentality...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yes i answered yes plenty of times.

Your posts are directly above this. Not once is it mentioned that you asked him to stop. The only expressed intervention you've alluded to is that you "offered more than one to drive". My guess is this was indeed the only way you addressed the issue with your partner.

I'm with the others- grow up and directly ask him to stop. I'd even side with Rob on giving him a second warning. If he persists, then by all means.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'd even side with Rob on giving him a second warning. If he persists, then by all means.

First the Seahawks win the Super Bowl, and now this? No wonder why it's been so cold outside. :rofl:

Back on topic, I agree with what has already been stated in this thread about asking directly once or twice, after which it gets escalated.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
First the Seahawks win the Super Bowl, and now this? No wonder why it's been so cold outside. :rofl:

Back on topic, I agree with what has already been stated in this thread about asking directly once or twice, after which it gets escalated.

They had the Super Bowl already? Didn't the Seahawks just have their fluffer game last week? :unsure:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I posted the entire day if you look on the middle of page two

But did you call him out on unacceptable behavior?

Avoidance of conflict means you a) have no social skills b) don't have the backbone to say what's right. As someone with a fair bit of social anxiety I get it. It's stressful as :censored::censored::censored::censored: to say something to him. But at some point you have to be an adult about it. The original action was childish, you came here to get validation of the action to assuage your guilt and when it didn't happen you've defended yourself in a childish manner. It tends to put doubts in people's minds.

I don't know how old you are but seem as socially immature as I was when I started at 18. Do yourself a favor, find a mentor and run what your going to do by them first. Your life will be much easier in the long run.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
If you gave appropriate warnings to your partner before "diming him/her out" then you did the right thing.

My workplace adopted a "sterile cockpit rule" as they call it. No Cellular Devices are to be in the Operators hand while behind the wheel of the Emergency Vehicle.

If a phone call is to be made it is to be done at a stop. whether you pull over at a gas station, or at the hospital, or anywhere where the vehicle is in park to alleviate the "I use my phone for GPS coordination" we were retrofitted with GPS units that we were all inserviced on how to properly use. You punch in your coordinates before leaving your post or station.

Your crew member holds onto pagers and such and answers the radios this alleviates any distractions that may prevent you from keeping your focus on the road. We thought of retrofitting headsets but the association felt that the cost wasn't warranted. the secondary crew member who is not driving may use a cellular device as needed. While making patient contact the only time a cell phone may be used is to notify the hospital for report or requesting medical command.

This all stemmed from one of our drivers who was texting while driving with a pt. on board rear ended someone. Luckily it was a minor accident. She initially claimed she was looking at the pager to see where another call was except that wasn't a bullet proof alibi since we didn't have another call and the Ops man knew it.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
VA, you did the right thing. Maybe not the most politically correct way, but you did the right thing. Its better to take the hard right over the easy wrong.

OP
OP
V

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
Thanks Rocket. Maybe I might find myself a mentor, I am twenty one as of last Tuesday and would hopefully have a long career ahead of me. Since I'm still new, I ran it by a few people to see the general reaction and they all told me to report him. Still feel like crap though, hopefully one adult bevarage will solve that problem this weekend. Knew I could count on my emtlifers. ;)

Heiniken or Sam Adams?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Macallan.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
What part of that insinuates in any way, shape, or form that this was done in one particular way or another?

The words "I ratted" insinuate a whoooole lot.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
The words "I ratted" insinuate a whoooole lot.
That insinuates nothing, other than that the person saying it feels that it isn't right to inform superiors about improper behavior.

Your posts, on the other hand, insinuate a whole lot about you. Check that, your posts, on the other hand are a very clear depiction of what you believe.
You're not funny.

You are "that guy."
Snitching is a third grade mentality;
So reporting improper behavior is "snitching," which you are very clear in labelling as wrong.
...being a snitch in this business - the people business - is not going to be well received by the colleagues whom you sit with for literally half of a day, half of the week.
Again...reporting improper behavior is being a "snitch."

I strongly encourage you to grow up; I think a saying there was a highschool mentality may have been being to generous.

18G

Paramedic
I have a zero tolerance for texting and driving at work. I had this situation. I told my EMT partner to stop and that it is not cool. I then seen him do it again when I was in the back with a patient and the ambo was all over the place. I told my supervisor who had a stern discussion with him and hasn't been an issue since.

Give the person a chance to correct it first. If they don't, then whatever happens is in their hands and not yours.

Anu

Forum Crew Member
I would think (and hope) that of all people an ambulance driver would have the common sense to know better than to text and drive.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Guess we're 50/50 on the issue.

That's right, immediately reporting your partner's no-no without first opening dialogue with them personally for corrective action is snitching. (Unless it is an inexcusable action that places others in imminent danger- I don't think a text constitutes imminent danger-)

You want to be a pariah, go for it. I wouldn't want to work with him.

Like everything else, you picked and chose some quotes out of context. You have other options before you report up.

I just wrote all this while driving; no one was maimed or killed. I can think of bigger fish to fry than a dude who just needs little guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.