rates of ambulance ride?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Random question. For the services that charge for refusals or treat and release, what happens if a 3rd party calls 911 not the injured/sick? Are they still charged? I'd be pissed if my neighbor called 911 for me when I didn't ask for it then I get slammed with a bill.

We have certain "definitions" of a patient. If they don't meet that "definition" than they aren't considered a patient and are therefore not charged. So in the situation you described, the patient wouldn't get charged (unless a treatment was provided (which would then make him meet one of the pt qualifiers...))

OP
OP
C

canadianparamedic

Forum Probie
ALS
Base rate: $1,174.00
Milage: $32.50 per mile
Night charge (1900-0700): $152.00
Oxygen: $139.00
Wait time per 1/4 hour: $38.50

BLS
Base rate: $560
Milage, night charge, oxygen, and wait time are same as ALS.

CCT
Base rate: $1515.15

NEONATAL
Base rate: $1515.15
Extra attendant: $353.00

WOW .......thats ahhhh wow..... im use to paying actually 45$ OHIP (our govement insurance) pays 325$ out 375$(375 is the most any ambulance can charge)

OP
OP
C

canadianparamedic

Forum Probie
Cuban Ambulance rates

Before i star im typing this on my cell phone.
When i lived in cuba i worked or the ambulance force as a Emt-I before coming to Canada
the rates were 59 pesos no mater what which here is 2.36$ but there thats worth two days and a half days pay.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
WOW .......thats ahhhh wow..... im use to paying actually 45$ OHIP (our govement insurance) pays 325$ out 375$(375 is the most any ambulance can charge)

Now if the patient is medicare or medi-cal (2 health insurance companies) they will only pay about $48.

OP
OP
C

canadianparamedic

Forum Probie
When i lived in cuba i worked or the ambulance force as a Emt-I before coming to Canada
the rates were 59 pesos no mater what which here is 2.36$ but there thats worth two days and a half days pay...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We have certain "definitions" of a patient. If they don't meet that "definition" than they aren't considered a patient and are therefore not charged. So in the situation you described, the patient wouldn't get charged (unless a treatment was provided (which would then make him meet one of the pt qualifiers...))

That makes sense. I figured there must be some sort of stipulation to go with the "treat and release" charge.

canadianparamedic said:
the rates were 59 pesos no mater what which here is 2.36$ but there thats worth two days and a half days pay.
Can I have Cuba healthcare prices with American healthcare standards without living in Cuba? :D

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Random question. For the services that charge for refusals or treat and release, what happens if a 3rd party calls 911 not the injured/sick? Are they still charged? I'd be pissed if my neighbor called 911 for me when I didn't ask for it then I get slammed with a bill.

We used to charge a lower rate for no-transports. It was billed to the parents. No vicarious billing to the caller.

You'd be amazed how often this comes up in CPR classes and the like. You have people actually worrying that if they see someone having chest pain, they might get the bill if they call 911 from their cell phone.

Yet, at the same time, you have business owners calling 911 for a homeless person outside of their store, because they're concerned about liability "should something happen". It's a shame that everyone seems to be motivated by money, instead of helping someone.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
How much do you pay in taxes? I'm sure it's much higher than in the states.

I expect it probably is -- but our healthcare costs are also lower per capita, because we have less private enterprise involved.

The taxation issue is hard to compare, because sales tax / income tax rates can vary greatly by province.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html#provincial

[Some might note that AB has a flat income tax at 10% which has been discussed a lot in the states.]

Then Federal rates:

15% on the first $41,544 of taxable income, +
22% on the next $41,544 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $41,544 and $83,088), +
26% on the next $45,712 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $83,088 and $128,800), +
29% of taxable income over $128,800.

Then you have to contribute to the national pention scheme:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/pyrll/clcltng/cpp-rpc/cnt-chrt-pf-eng.html

And EI:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/pyrll/clcltng/ei/cnt-chrt-pf-eng.html

Then you have other things, like a 5% federal sales tax, with supplemental provincial sales taxes ranging from 0%(AB) to 10% (NS)

---------------------------------------

So taxation varies a lot by location, as does cost-of-living and employment opportunities / salaries. I'm sure it's at least as complicated in the states.

[*And we haven't even looked at tax deductions.]

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
They dont really tell us what they charge but having talked to people that have been transported ALS ~$1800. Even if we transport BLS, if the dispatch goes out as an ALS condition code, its still ALS rate. We charge more for CCT and Bariatric but I dont know what.

Yes, we charge ALS and BLS refusals.

ALS, is usually diabetics, also Codes(counts as a refusal), and DOA(even though no interventions are done)

BLS is usually lift assist, car wrecks, etc etc.

If we get sent to a car wreck for one person, but 10 are involved, we are supposed to get 9 refusals and transport the 1

Last edited by a moderator:

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
911 calls and ALS IFT are:
$1,531.25 regardless of severity of complaint.
$31.75 per mile or fraction there of.
$100.00 for oxygen

BLS IFT $799.85

refusals are free, treat and release are same as above.

icefog

Forum Probie
Hmm, interesting. In my local EMS in Germany, it's $220 for a BLS ambulance, $470 for ALS and $500 for a Physician Field Responder (only available in addition to the ALS crew). Prices are fixed, regardless of call specifics.