Random Test-Related Questions

sp121988

Forum Probie
Okay, so as of right now I'm only a first responder (but otherwise I wouldn't be asking about the EMT test), and I have a few question about specific parts of the EMT-B pratcical tests.

1. When EXACTLY during a trauma assessment do you verbalize loading a load and go patient into the ambulance and departing the scene (acording to the NREMT/state)?

2. When EXACTLY during a trauma assessment do you verbalize loading a non-critical patient into the ambulance and departing the scene (acording to the NREMT/state)?

3. When EXACTLY during a medical assessment do you verbalize loading a load and go patient into the ambulance and departing the scene (acording to the NREMT/state)?

4. When EXACTLY during a medical assessment do you verbalize loading a non-critical patient into the ambulance and departing the scene (acording to the NREMT/state)?

5. Can a basic take PHTLS or AMLS or even ACLS?

Any advice would be great. I've asked my instructor, but they dont seem to understand what i'm asking.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I don't have answers to your first four, and I'm not sure they exist. I'm sure someone else will correct me.

A basic absolutely can take PHTLS, AMLS, and ACLS classes. There are often longer courses suited towards the EMT-Basic that help them succeed in the course, but an EMT-Basic is generally welcome to take any of those courses.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I believe the skill sheets that you download from NR will have critical criteria that if not done you fail. Part of the criteria will address most of what you ask unless they recently changed. But a basic rule of thumb for skills test is if serious quickly say we need to load and go and continue assessment enroute to hospital.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
When testing any practical scenario, you will not be faulted for and you will be given credit for immediately verbalizing the patient is high priority.

As soon as the proctor tells you the scenario and you receive the information that the patient is unconscious or that he has an amputation or he has severe trouble breathing or severe chest pain (not all inclusive list here)....immediately verbalize that you are thinking this is a high priority patient and you will move him quickly when possible...then continue with your assessment and treatment of immediate life threats.

Once you have taken care of immediate life threats and "stabilized" albeit temporarily the patient, then verbalize you are moving to the unit and transporting.

OP
OP
S

sp121988

Forum Probie
So...

So basically you transport a load and go patient as soon as you are done with your rapid assessment, right?

medic417

The Truth Provider
So basically you transport a load and go patient as soon as you are done with your rapid assessment, right?

Yes and as goat herder I mean AK:p said verbalize it early that you are considering it. Then state it again as soon as you deal with immediate life threats.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

Just think about this statement logically....you already have your answer.

Without doing a rapid assessment, how do you know you have a load and go?

During that rapid assessment, when you find immediate life threats (key word being immediate) you have to fix them or do something for them....otherwise you have no patient to load and go cause they will be dead.

You will never roll on a scene, load and go a patient, then do an assessment. (in a testing scenario, so please save all the what ifs, scene safety, this one time at band camp stories)

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
In the trauma assessment verbalize that it's a high priority patient, do your rapid trauma assessment, the last step should be putting them on the board and checking the back, then you move to the rig and perform ongoing assessment and get a set of vitals. That is according to the NR check sheets. In the NR test you won't have any non critical patients so don't worry about those. On the medical assessment as soon as you find out that the patient is high priority verbalize that you'd begin transport and continue your assessment in the rig.

8jimi8

CFRN
Look at your book. Every time it says "make a priority transport decision" in your assessment algorithm is the appropriate place to decide: "stay and play" or "load and go."

neutralize all immediate life threats as soon as you find them.

if you are in the middle of your initial assessment and you realize that you need to do CPR (apneic and/or pulseless) you stop and do CPR, get the AED and then continue the assessment after you fix the problem.

So this would go like

scene safety / bsi
how many patients do i have?
do i need further assistance (have FD on standby etc)
MOI/NOI?
What is my initial impression?
Rapid trauma assessment
Neutralize all life threats
Transport decision
SAMPLE
Baseline Vitals
Detailed Assessment / Focused History
Transport Decision
Repeat

Look at your NR skillsheet. Memorize exactly what you are supposed to do and then do that.