Random Question

GRMM81

Forum Ride Along
I noticed that the EMT's and paramedics would wear their id badges backwards so that their picture can't be seen. I was just wondering if anyone knew why they did this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
Self explanatory. I will give you my name if it is needed. Otherwise people will call and request you or call and complain about you for stupid stuff. No name carries less weight. I don't want to be called to a lonely old woman's house to take her bp every day because I was nice and she is always requesting me.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Our ID's for class don't have our pictures on them, but they did put our first and last names on them. All of us have covered up our last names, and the other girl in my class has a very unique first name, so she always wears her name tag backwards during clinicals.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I noticed that the EMT's and paramedics would wear their id badges backwards so that their picture can't be seen. I was just wondering if anyone knew why they did this.

Technically it is the patient's right to know who is taking care of them and what level of certification they are. This is why most hospitals use and require photo IDs with name and position.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I havent noticed this, I will be interested to see if the medics I ride with do this.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Thats really interesting-- I do that too! MDA requires some staff (depending on the administration's frugality at the time you pass any given course) to wear metal nametags-- but they are really small-- and hard to read. They dont require us to wear our ID's outside, but many do, because we need to swipe in and out, and sometimes open doors at the hospitals.
I never use my last name here in Israel. I sign my charts "Dan"-- and unless they compel someone at the headquarters in J'lem to look me up, I stay anonymous to patients. I have never been asked my last name, but I dont volunteer it.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
You all are required to wear name badges? Until we got issued our 'new' police looking uniforms about 6 months ago (which have our last name embroided on like the military does), we never had our names on our uniforms. When I look around at all the other jurisdictions that bring patients to the same hospital I bring patients too I've never seen any of the other jurisdictions wearing name badges. At least not on duty uniforms. Now on dress uniforms I've seen it quite a bit.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Thats really interesting-- I do that too! MDA requires some staff (depending on the administration's frugality at the time you pass any given course) to wear metal nametags-- but they are really small-- and hard to read. They dont require us to wear our ID's outside, but many do, because we need to swipe in and out, and sometimes open doors at the hospitals.
I never use my last name here in Israel. I sign my charts "Dan"-- and unless they compel someone at the headquarters in J'lem to look me up, I stay anonymous to patients. I have never been asked my last name, but I dont volunteer it.

We wear gold metal tags black letters with first and last names with county service below it.

Lets_roll

Forum Ride Along
We got reamed at clinicals for turning the id badges around the medical director and my instructor came down on us heard

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Texas requires photo identification with name and level of certification. Why cover it up? Do your job proficiently and you have no worries. If the biggest thing on your mind is worrying if the little old lady down the street is going to request you because she is lonely, well you may need to take a step back and reevaluate your career priorities. EMS is a social service sometimes. I think we sometimes forget that..................................

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Here we fall under the hospitals umbrella policy that your badge must be "above the beltline and visible at all times" Ours have our last name in larger letters than the first name, Department (EMS..duh), and position/certification and have a wonderful mugshot as well.

If your badge is not visible, hospital security will not wave you through the metal detectors in the ER, and they have the right to stop you and make you put it on the outside.

There are many people that wear them backwards here at Grady, I dont because I don't purposefully do anything that it would be needed. Its also great when PD asks for your name and unit number to point to the set of foot tall numbers on the rear quarter-panel and thrust your ID in his direction, as they have a tendancy to ask when you are otherwise preoccupied.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I am continuously amazed at the differences in different areas of the country. Here in the Midwest (small urban area) there isn't even the thought that you wouldn't want to wear your badge on the outside with picture, name, affiliation, etc. showing. We introduce ourselves to our patients (First name - position) immediately on encountering them. Our clinical instructors had us replace our lanyards with pins because sometimes the badge would turn on the lanyard and would be backwards. If I was in a big urban center with lots of s*** going on, I would probably look at this in a different way.
I am wondering how much of these cultural differences (because thats what they are) are related to work environment and how much is dependent on individual contributions and point of view. In the corporate world (where I spent 25 years) culture is always "top down". Attitudes and approaches develop from the values of the leadership. If you lie down with dogs, you get fleas. People who don't fit in don't stay.
Interesting topic.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
This will probably sound weird, but I don't have a name tag. Everyone in the company was given one a year ago, but I lost mine. They haven't given out any since then.

-Kat

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Nametags

With all of the events since 911 it is a matter of security.......

EMTryan

Forum Crew Member
I asked this same question when I did my observation time in my EMT class. I noticed that the EMTs for the agency I was riding with only had their first name and last initial on their uniforms. The crew I was riding with said that it is mainy for privacy and to possibly deter a stalker. For example, an EMT by the name of John Smith would have a nametag 'John S.'

It makes sense...when I was in college I was a student volunteer for a crisis line service. One night I was talking with a caller and we had a really great conversation. In the call I mentioned that my name was Ryan and I was majoring in Spanish and History. That was all that was needed for her to search the school directory, find me and e-mail me. I attended a big college (30000+ students). I don't consider her a stalker but I do think that the privacy issue is important. I too was suprised that I was the only Spanish and History double major at such a huge college.

NJN

The Young One
Around here, none of the BLS 911, services have to wear name tags. I only see it on the transport companies' employees and the medics from the hospitals. I did wear one when i first started because no one could spell my name right for the run sheet. Once people started memorizing it i got rid of it. I work in a city that has some very shady parts to it (shots fired almost daily and a 4th grader brought a loaded .45 to school this past week) so we don't generally introduce ourselves by name, just by cert level and service.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
This will probably sound weird, but I don't have a name tag. Everyone in the company was given one a year ago, but I lost mine. They haven't given out any since then.

-Kat

If its a metal tag they probably expect you to provide yourself a new one. If it is a picture ID did you report it lost? That can be a security issue and is pretty easy to impersonate someone else with an id badge. Even worse if its an ID that opens doors and such at the ER like hospital based EMS services usually have.