Race in PCRs

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Through my studies, I've seen some references to race when discussing PCRs. Some forms outright ask it (http://www.ok.gov/health/documents/ALLOKEMSIS.pdf), and I have a textbook that mentions that it should be recorded along with other patient information.

I'm a bit curious as to the reason it has an impact. Providing the patient has another way of being identified (name), what is it's use? Age and sex may impact your care, but why would race?

Before it gets mentioned, I know there are some conditions that do disproportionally affect certain races over others (ie: Sickle-cell Anemia), but as far as I'm aware, those are mostly chronic and obviously can't be diagnosed or identified by race alone.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Long term data collection once compiled at the LEMSA and state levels

Anjel

Forum Angel
It is required in our PCRs. Race and ethnicity. We were told it was for data collection and statistical analysis.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
as stated above, data collection at the state DOH level

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Before it gets mentioned, I know there are some conditions that do disproportionally affect certain races over others (ie: Sickle-cell Anemia), but as far as I'm aware, those are mostly chronic and obviously can't be diagnosed or identified by race alone.

Thoughts?
How have researches found out that certain diseases are more prevalent among certain races? If no one records a patient's race that information is lost. It's also not just chronic conditions that certain races are prone to, it's also acute conditions like CVA and ACS. Also I recall reading a study that showed minorities don't receive the same care as whites (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/17/AR2005081701437.html).

So there are a large number of reasons to accurately record patient demographics on your PCR, if for no other reason it greatly aids in research.

I do wish they would make the selections more straightforward. The choices on our ePCR software is: White (non-hispanic), White (hispanic), Black, Black (hispanic), Asian, Native American. I, for the life of me, don't know what to put if I have a hispanic patient (white or black? neither? in between?), and when I get a patient from India or the Middle East what category do they go into? I feel like I missed a day in Paramedic school where they tell you what people go in what race category.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's also very possible for two people to have the same name and DOB yet be a different race...

Just a thought.

Our ePCR requires it. You can check unknown but QAQI might jam you up for it if you make a habit of it.

Their race doesn't change the care they receive....

Disregarding the fear of reprimand...What do you call a black man flying an airplane?

A pilot you racist.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
when I get a patient from India or the Middle East what category do they go into? I feel like I missed a day in Paramedic school where they tell you what people go in what race category.

The middle east(aside from Egypt) and India are both parts of Asia. Thinking that you have to be squinty eyed to be "Asian" is racist.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The middle east(aside from Egypt) and India are both parts of Asia. Thinking that you have to be squinty eyed to be "Asian" is racist.

India is Asia, as is Russia. Are they just not Asian enough to be Asian? Isn't that racist? [insert Ave. Q "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist" here]

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Our PCR asks for race and "Hispanic or Latino or not Hispanic or Latino." I'm not sure it's even a required field, I'll have to test it next shift.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Forgive my ignorance, however this only highlights the need for a better system for race with our PCRs, or at least some clue as to what people belong in what category.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
It is an optional field on our PCR's. Until i became a member of our QA committee, i had always felt that it wasn't any bit of my business to comment on a patients race and i also had felt that it opened me up to legal liabilities, in that if i included race, i could be gone after for racially biased provision of care.

When i joined the committee, i came to the conclusion that i do a decent job of providing patient care and never would consider rationing care based on race, so why would i be worried about this? More importantly, if we are worried about under serving our population, how will we learn who is being under served, if we don't know who we are actually serving.

The other important item of note in this matter is for those of us who work in a high volume urban environment with large acute care hospitals. If a series of unidentified patients come in, the race may be the only factor available to the hospital to connect a PCR with a patient. It can differentiate a native 19 year old male who is 95 kilos who was stabbed versus an Asian 19 year old make who was stabbed and may let them know which one got 500 mg of Ketamine and which one got 10 mg of morphine.