Quick question...

Joker

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, I just got BLS health care provider certified and I am starting college in January to become a paramedic. In the meantime i was wondering if there are any jobs (if any) i could do to get some hands on experience. Any help/advice would be very welcome.:)

OP
OP
J

Joker

Forum Ride Along
just CPR as I am just starting the program.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
You are starting a college program to become an EMT-P? Are you from Canada? If you are from the US, do you know you need to be an EMT-B first?

Additional info needed....

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Without any actual medical education, places to volunteer will be slim. You can volunteer at a hospital, but you probably wont be allowed to do any actual patient care.

OP
OP
J

Joker

Forum Ride Along
yea i know i need to get EMT B first. sorry i didn t phrase my question very well. I am aiming to become a paramedic. and thanks linuss that s wat i thought but i was just making sure..

emp430

Forum Probie
That school will allow a CPR only to go through Paramedic school? I thought the standing pre req was EMT-B cert. I don't know of any EMS agencies that will pay for a CPR/1st Aid card. Volly squads would allow it, but it's vollunteer of course. So you don't have Basic card?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
yea i know i need to get EMT B first. sorry i didn t phrase my question very well. I am aiming to become a paramedic. and thanks linuss that s wat i thought but i was just making sure..

My suggestion is wait until school starts. You'll have plenty of clinical and ambulance time to do that you'll wonder why you ever wanted to volunteer ^_^

OP
OP
J

Joker

Forum Ride Along
All i have is basic CPR for the moment. and yes i have to go through EMT B to go to paramedic.

ChicagolandIFT

Forum Crew Member
Some schools you get accepted into the paramedic program, and the first semester they have you do some basic science and an EMT-B class, then you go directly into the paramedic phase.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually in some places in the US, you can start college off the street with NO EMS background and in 2 years graduate with an Associate degree in Paramedicine; and have you certificates of EMT-B and P.
I don't agree with it, but you can do it.

tactics

Forum Probie
clinicals

Joker,

During your education you should have to do clinical hours, either at a hospital or on an ambulance. Your instructors should be able to set this up for you and give you a list of ERs and organizations that you will be able to go to and get hands on experience. This will included some one to precept your work and sign off on what you have learned. You should have a list of skills that your instructors have given to you for just this purpose. Good luck with your education.