Questions about employment

crusherdbuzz

Forum Ride Along
I just finished EMT school in the summer and went through everything and I am fully certified with NREMT, county, and my ambulance license. I really wanted to get with AMR, but had two interviews and got neither (both riverside and san bernardino counties). I must now wait six months to reapply to either county. Has this ever happened to anyone before and got hired after being rejected the first time? I do have a thing going with mission ambulance that I am in the hiring pool now. I really wanted amr as I want to get into ALS, and eventually medic or physician assistant school.

Regards,
Dennis

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Congrats on finishing your class, and getting through what I understand to be the myriad of California requirements. I am not from California, and don't know much about the hiring situation. Have you considered applying elsewhere? Looking into working at an ER? Do you know what AMR picked up on that would lead them not to schedule another interview?

Is working for AMR the only way to "get into ALS" or become a paramedic in your area? Just so you know, certification as an EMT, then a paramedic is not the only route to becoming a PA. Do you have a college diploma? Strong background in the sciences?

OP
OP
C

crusherdbuzz

Forum Ride Along
Thank you. I have applied at another company and I am in the hiring pool currently. I will be looking into the ER, but many around here like to see on the rig experience. I think that my AMR interview went well, but I think what did it in for me is that I do not have any experience other than what I did in school (approximately 76 hours). The only people who do ALS in riverside and san bernardino county is AMR. LA county companies all do bls and the firemedic rides along (that is my understanding). I have no college degrees currently. I do not know if I am going to do PA or medic yet. Both are interesting to me and in my experience the adrenaline rush of being first on scene is pretty amazing.

I will probably use this time to take some more college classes. I was just wondering if others in this situation had this happen to them and were able to get hired on after their 6 month re-application submission.

LeoLi4

Forum Probie
I am in the same situation as you are. Got interviewed by AMR two months ago and got rejected. I am still waiting for my six months to pass so I can reapply. But definetly use this time to gain as much experience and knowledge in anyway. I start taking an EKG class in my local college and I also volunteer at a place to help taking BP for elderly. May not be as legit as working in a hospital or medical related enviorment, but still some "medical" experience. Good luck. :)