question

schwing343

Forum Crew Member
I'm from Ohio, I have my basic cert, it expires in april 2009, now i'm starting medic school in January 2009, I heard from a co-worker that the medic classes count as CE credits to maintain my basic cert during school. I dont know how it works in other states but I was just wondering if I should take a re-cert basic class just to be safe??? Ive asked other co-workers about this, and they had no clue........... any help would be appreciated. thanx

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
First of all, I suggest you do a search, I believe there have been discussions of this before.

As I recall, medic school can count as the refresher (after finishing a certain number of lectures), it can also count as CEUs.

The problem is that you probably need to provide proof of CEUs and refresher by Dec 31, 2008 in order to renew your cert in 2009. It often takes the state OEMS 3-4 months to sort out CEUs internally-- so they require that your submit all evidence by the end of Dec.

In your case, because you are starting medic school in Jan, it is unlikely that it will count towards your recert because of the timing.

For information about re-certifying your NREMT card, look here:
http://www.nremt.org/downloads/EMT.basic.pdf
also see below, from Ohio OEMS
http://www.ems.ohio.gov/Education/EMT-B Continuing Education0706.pdf

Lastly, see on the NREMT website this FAQ:
Does the Intermediate and Paramedic course completion meet the requirements for EMT-Basic?
Completion of the didactic portion of the EMT-Intermediate program can be applied, on an “hour per hour” basis, toward Section II continuing education requirements for EMT-Basic recertification. Only the topics and hours that correspond directly to the United States Department of Transportation National Standard EMT-Basic curriculum may be applied to Section IA refresher requirements for EMT-Basic recertification.

Completion of the didactic portion of an approved Paramedic education program will satisfy the Section IA refresher requirements and the Section II continuing education requirements for EMT-Basic recertification.
http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/rr_faq.asp#7
Good Luck!

DS

Epi-do

I see dead people
Contact your state office and ask them. That will be the best thing for you to do. You can get opinions and conjecture here, but the people that make the rules will be the ones that can best answer your questions.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As stated contact your state EMS for clarification. In regards to NREMT, one must complete the whole Paramedic program to count as refresher and CEU's. It does NOT count if you only participate or incomplete it. College courses can count if associated and approved by your education director.

R/r911

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I can only speak for the medic program I went to, but they required a EMT card that remained current through the entire program. That doesn't mean you can't get your CE hours in order before you take the class...but you should definitely get in touch with the course supervisors and state officials and get confirmation one way or the other.