Question regarding Paramedic to Nursing program.

Chall09

Forum Probie
I'm still in EMT-Basic class in Springfield, OH, but I'm still thinking long term as what I want to end up doing as a career.

EMT-Basics I understand don't get paid very well. The community college I'm going to (Clark State, Springfield, OH) has this 9 month paramedic to nursing program.

I'm thinking a lot about going into nursing, but I want to get experience of EMS, so I'll probably try to get on as a basic somewhere after I finish class in the Fall.

What do you guys think...would it be best to continue and hopefully make it to paramedic level....then do the 9 month nursing program. I want to be a nurse in the end b/c I forsee in the future the EMT stress life eventually cathching up with me.

This question also revolves around money. I currently have a bachelor in English and don't know if I would have to take all the prerequisites for nursing school, hopefully this would save me money if I went straight to nursing school from EMT-B.

Anyway...sorry this became a ramble. Ultimately I want to save money and eventually make it to become an RN. I like their pay and I like how their considered the backbone of their profession.

Any and all answers to this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

-Chall09

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
What's your educational background? I'm going to assume that you don't have some other degree, and are just starting out...

I'd say if you want to be a nurse, go be a nurse. It will take you a year or two to become a medic, then another year on top of that to become a nurse, at the end of which time you'll have a nursing license and, presumably, and associates degree. And that's not including the time you spend doing whatever pre-reqs you might need for either nursing or paramedicine. Three or four years, then, to go EMT - Medic - Nurse?

In that time, you could have a BSN, be a very well prepared nursing graduate, and, if you still felt the need to do street work, could either challenge the paramedic exam in states that allow that, or do something like NJ's MICN (which does require some critical care nursing experience, but you'd be working as a nurse and making "nurse money" which is greater than "paramedic money.")

If you want to be a nurse, and you feel like that's your calling, skip the intermediate steps, go to nursing school, and become a nurse. Follow your passion, and all that. :)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You said you want to be a nurse, so go to nursing school. No reason to go to medic school if you don't want to be a medic.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The 9 month or 12 month medic to nursing programs are for those who have already met the pre reqs. If you do not have those, add another year to that...in the same amount of time, 2 years, you could have achieved the degree by enrolling in the program itself.

Why would you spend 1 year or more to become a medic simply to take a shortcut (so you think) to nursing?

You did not say what your degree is in, however most Medic to RN transition programs require these at a minimum:

1. Anatomy and Physiology I and II with lab (8 credit hours)
2. Microbiology with Lab (4 credit hours)
3. College Algebra (3 credit hours)
4. Nutrition (depending on school 2-3 credit hours)
5. Developmental Psychology or Lifespan Development (3 credit hours)
6. General Psychology (3 credit hours)

This is in addition to your Comms I or Eng I, Speech, and any other college specific courses (for example mine has a computer keyboarding and math for health related professions requirement).

Also keep in mind, some schools have pre requisites for you to get in the above mentioned courses as well. Because I did not score high enough on an entrance exam, I had to take an intermediate Algebra course before I could take the higher level math so add 3 credits to that.

I also had to take Biology with lab (4 credits) in order to take AnP and Micro.

If your sciences are more than 7 years old, some schools will not accept them.

In short, the 9 month program is no more faster or easier because you are a medic.

If you want to be a nurse, go be a nurse. You can always come back later and play medic but I doubt you will as there will be more than enough excitement and busy work within the RN field to keep you occupied.

OP
OP
C

Chall09

Forum Probie
I have a bachelor in English...will this change any answers?

I have a bachelor in English...will this change any answers? I'm 23 years old if this matters at all.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I have a bachelor in English...will this change any answers? I'm 23 years old if this matters at all.

Yes. Use your degree to get a 2nd Bachelors in Nursing or entry level Masters. Don't go backwards.

Either way you will still have to complete all the science prerequisites.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle

Yes, it does! If you already have a bachelor's degree, you can get into an accelerated BSN program. Usually, they take about 18 months. You still need the science pre-reqs, but you can almost have the BSN in the time it would take you to become a medic.

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I am in the same boat, but I am 20 years older. I have a BA in psychology and have been researching my options. I also thought about EMT, but then when I saw the low salaries I thought maybe I should try for something that has a career path. I found out that you can get a BSN if you have a bachelors in another field, but some schools require full-time enrollment. If you can do that, then you should probably go for it. I can't afford to quit my job, so I'm going to get my RN (also known as ADN) in order to get my prereqs out of the way and also because I can attend school part-time at night. Then I can go for the RN/BSN to MSN program, which is mostly online. They let you take the BSN classes and the MSN classes at the same time. Because I already have a BA, I'd only have to take the nursing classes and some science.

It really depends on what's available in your area and what your timeframe is. I'm not in any rush and for me it's cheaper and easier to go the ADN route first. If nursing is what you want to do, then go for it.

Summit

Critical Crazy
So you want to go to EMT school for a 5 months, then work for a year, then go to Paramedic school for a year, then take your prereq classes for a year, then a RN bridge program for 9 months.

WHY DON'T YOU JUST GO TO RN SCHOOL INSTEAD? It's only two years.