Question on meds?

TXMEDIC5317

Forum Crew Member
Is there a way or trick you use to remember all the drug doses?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Studying. It'll come with time. If you study enough, you'll remember.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Studying. And more studying. After a month at my service here I had my doseages memorized. Indications and uses you should have memorized before you get out of medic class.

18G

Paramedic
It's pure memorization. And once you start working as a Medic and using the drugs, they will become burned into your memory. I have laminated cards I made that have the drug dosages on that I review from time to time on shift so that helps also.... especially for the drugs you don't give that often.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
Two things have helped me.

First, use scenarious. Don't just read the drugs over and over again but think of situations when you would adminsiter them. And every time, say the dosages, indications, contraindications etc. Design scenarious for fellow students or coworkers, if you can help others learn it you learn a lot.

Also, make sure you read as much as you can about how the drug works. For example, don't just know that nitro vasodilates, but learn how this works in the body. I think this helps make sense of drugs and make them more than just lists of info.

Edit: I guess the second suggestion won't really help with dosages.

Last edited by a moderator:

ERMedic

Forum Probie
Is there a way or trick you use to remember all the drug doses?[/QUOTE

Flashcards with the name of the drug on one side and indications, contraindications, doses, side effects etc on the other. Study them an hour a day and in about a month they'll be memorized. Thats what I did in medic school, goodluck.

CIRUS454

Forum Crew Member
Study Study Study and experience/time! It took me awhile to learn and everday some new med is coming out so it deff is an ongoing process.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
Two things have helped me.

First, use scenarious. Don't just read the drugs over and over again but think of situations when you would adminsiter them. And every time, say the dosages, indications, contraindications etc. Design scenarious for fellow students or coworkers, if you can help others learn it you learn a lot.

Absolutely- this helped me most. Also, every time you say the name of a drug, try stating the dosage(s) aloud, to help associate it with the name of the drug. I also used to do that with the different names of the drug, so that they became familiar to me. It will come to you over time...