Question about the job app process

blukaman

Forum Probie
So on a lot of job applications they ask you about your certifications/licenses. Usually there's also a box allowing you to select which state you're certified/licensed in.

What are you supposed to put for the National Registry? I went to school and am licensed in Colorado, but I drove to Nebraska to take my National Exam..

Do I put Colorado or NE?

Thanks in advance.

nonameheroes

Forum Probie
if you're licensed in Colorado, then list Colorado. doesnt matter where you took your NR test, just matters where your state license is as thats where you're legally allowed to work. and as far as listing your NR certification, I usually leave the state blank as most companies know that NR isnt state based.

Last edited by a moderator:

chazzd

Forum Ride Along
I am currently living in Colorado but in September will be looking for work out-of-state. Is there any reason for me to get my CO cert? It would seem just applying to the new state as a NREMT would be the best bet. I know some states (like WA) might require me to take another exam, where as if it was a reciprocal from CO I would not take the exam?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You can apply for the state you're wanting to move to once you get your registry. You might as well apply for CO, though, since it's free. And states wanting you to take an exam for licensure (FL for instance) don't care where you have certification or where you did your NREMT exam... They just know if you didn't do your initial education there, you're taking another test.

chazzd

Forum Ride Along
You can apply for the state you're wanting to move to once you get your registry. You might as well apply for CO, though, since it's free. And states wanting you to take an exam for licensure (FL for instance) don't care where you have certification or where you did your NREMT exam... They just know if you didn't do your initial education there, you're taking another test.

Well it'd be $17.50 for the CBI check (maybe another $5 to get it done locally). And actually it says "if you’ve lived out of state any time during the past 3 years" I have to do the FBI check, then it's $39.50. I worked out-of-state for about 5 weeks this spring (and got taxed in another state).. I wonder how that counts?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I forgot that in state residents still have to pay for the CBI check. I got mine while living in NM, so I have done the FBI check twice now. Although, even if you have to pay 40, it's a lot cheaper than many other states
Your best bet would be to call CBI and ask them your question about working out of state...

pineapplenick

Forum Ride Along
I recently moved from NC to Colorado after finishing Medic school. For me it was a no brainier to get my NC cert before moving. Granted it did not cost me anything extra, but as NC is where my family is, there is always a possibility I will move back home, perhaps even on short notice. Having and keeping that NC cert will make any needed move much easier.

When I was applying to jobs out of state, I put Registry, NC, and Colorado down. Even if you are not credentialed in the state to which you are applying showing that you are credentialed in one state, and have registry, tells the potential employer that you should be able to be credentialed in said state. That being said, I would go through the process of getting credentialed in the state(s) you wish to work as soon as possible, as it can often take several weeks. In Wyoming, you cannot be formally offered a position until you are credentialed in that state.

Good luck in your search!