Protocol Writing Help

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Anyone have suggestions for writing event medical protocols for EMT's and Medics?

I'm working with a sports medicine firm to start an EMT standby service for community/school athletic events. Due to budget cuts, many of the firm's clients are looking for cheaper alternatives to athletic trainers and physical therapists. The firm is trying to offer standby EMTs to provide basic first aid and medical care to spectators and athletes. They have asked me to work with their legal team and medical directors to make it happen. The lawyers have given us the green light, and the medical director wants me to drum up some protocols for him to sign. I started writing protocols yesterday...and I did not anticipate how much time/work/and effort it would be. Does anyone have suggestions for easy ways to write protocols?

I'm especially looking for help writing a protocol that allows EMTs and Medics to release pt's on scene into the custody of their parents for POV transport to the ED or Urgent Care. A protocol that allows an EMS provider to make a referral to a community resource would be nice too. Most of the protocols online are setup for transporting agencies, and do not really fit what we are trying to do.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
*edited due to misreading OP

Look for special event protocols and ICS structure used by agencies near you.

Pt release to parent custody can be handled like any pt refusal, you just need to incorporate thing such as; obtain 2 sets of vitals, inform pt of risk of refusal, recommendation that pt follow up with their GP, and anything else your legal team and medical directors can think of to cover yourselves.

Last edited:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Talk to your medica director and see if he will let you adapt the ones you already have. Makes life much easier

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
By 'asked me to work with their legal team and medical directors to make it happen' I hope you mean they're paying you a lot of money for your consultancy services lol

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Not to sound like a jerk, but if you are tasked with this responsibility and find yourself on a forum seeking advice on how to do it, maybe you have gotten in a bit over your head.

However, as said above, no reason to reinvent the wheel; just modify what is already out there.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm especially looking for help writing a protocol that allows EMTs and Medics to release pt's on scene into the custody of their parents for POV transport to the ED or Urgent Care. A protocol that allows an EMS provider to make a referral to a community resource would be nice too. Most of the protocols online are setup for transporting agencies, and do not really fit what we are trying to do.

Just because you write a protocol, doesn't mean it "allows" you to do anything. It's just a formal explanation of procedure to reflect standards of care set to meet/exceed state and local laws.

If you write a bad protocol (and the MD signs a bad protocol) you will end up in court if you follow it.