Proposed 2014 Protocols for Riverside County CA

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Didn't really notice any changes for the BLS side. I didn't really take a good look at everything tho.

Gurney Jockey

Forum Probie
Not my Verapamil! Please, take anything but that!
Although Fentanyl and Lorazepam sound pretty neato. Not really seeing too many changes.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I think its funny how the very first thing I look for is to see if REMS has added glucometry as a BLS skill. Didn't really notice anything significant but then again I skimmed and didn't look at every page.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I think its funny how the very first thing I look for is to see if REMS has added glucometry as a BLS skill. Didn't really notice anything significant but then again I skimmed and didn't look at every page.

It's a BLS skill....... As long as the medic asks you to get it.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
It's a BLS skill....... As long as the medic asks you to get it.

Haha exactly. In my skimming of the protocols I'm pretty sure I didn't see anything in there about carrying glucometer's on BLS rigs.

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
It's all fairly benign. Fent is still listed as an "alternative" pain medication.

Though we can only manage pain when it's a result of isolated extremity trauma. Cardiac related chest pain notwithstanding of course.

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Haha exactly. In my skimming of the protocols I'm pretty sure I didn't see anything in there about carrying glucometer's on BLS rigs.

Yup, still a no go really. Though I suppose it comes down to the ability to do something about the reading that's obtained, and it's really a moot point when considering that a person must have an altered mental status to receive oral glucose anyways, especially when taken into consideration that diabetic patients are far more likely to by hypoglycemic when altered than hyperglycemic.

Before using the glucometer EMTs, AEMTs, and paramedics must:
7 1. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines regarding calibration and cleaning
8 2. Upon patient contact, provide emergency stabilization in a prioritized manner

9 3. EMTs:
10 a. Determine that assessment of blood glucose is clinically indicated by:
11 i. AEMT or paramedic direction

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, It's likely that some things may change, considering the word on the street is the Ochoa is out, and a Dr. Vantralen (sp?) is in.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Also, It's likely that some things may change, considering the word on the street is the Ochoa is out, and a Dr. Vantralen (sp?) is in.

Where does he/she work at? I haven't heard anything about that at all.

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Where does he/she work at? I haven't heard anything about that at all.

dr van stralen is the medical director for AMR SB County, and I believe he does some lecture at Crafton Hills. My source on Ochoa being phased out is good. The info on Van Stralen is less solid, but it's highly likely as these political coups rarely go down without replacements having already been selected.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
dr van stralen is the medical director for AMR SB County, and I believe he does some lecture at Crafton Hills. My source on Ochoa being phased out is good. The info on Van Stralen is less solid, but it's highly likely as these political coups rarely go down without replacements having already been selected.

Hmm, if I get in medic school I will find out. I thought SB had a county medical director and not company medical directors.

Maybe we will get peds intubation and dope back in protocols.

OP
OP
Jambi

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm, if I get in medic school I will find out. I thought SB had a county medical director and not company medical directors.

Maybe we will get peds intubation and dope back in protocols.

SB does, but each company has to have it's own medical director for accountability, training, and ordering controlled supplies, etc.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Ativan and Valium are also in the medlist now..

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ativan and Valium are also in the medlist now..

Wonder if that means we are going to be getting refrigerators in the rigs then. Everything I have read so far says Ativan needs to be stored at a controlled temp.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Wonder if that means we are going to be getting refrigerators in the rigs then. Everything I have read so far says Ativan needs to be stored at a controlled temp.

We probably won't get it, fire may. It'st stated as "OR" on the policy. Same with fentanyl. So we will probably just get whatever is the cheapest.

Down at the bottom - http://www.remsa.us/policy/2014/3301d.pdf

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll