Proper Flow To A Call ?

Legal Eagle

Forum Probie
So I'm hoping some of you can provide some clarity for me. I'm currently an EMT-B student and need some help on the proper flow/algorithm to a call.
I know this might sound like a dumb question but please bear with me.
When you are out on a real ambulance call how do you start off and progress through your call ? I know in the classroom and scenarios you always determine LOC and Alert & Oriented x 4 from the get go(also taking c-spine precautions if necessary), but do you guys do this on every patient you encounter ?
When you approach your patients how do you progress through the call.

Thanks for any and all help guys, it is greatly appreciated!

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

One word, Dynamic.

Really, every call is different and each needs to be approached that way. That's not to say all the different information isn't obtained as it is. Just not in the same way each time.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It all depends on the call. There is no absolute way every call must be run, and many people have their own methods.

Yes, you always determine LOC, ABCs, your general impression, all that jazz. However, it's typically all done at once, and you don't even realize you're doing it.

Watch how the more experienced medics do it, compile a mental library, and assemble a method that makes the most sense to you.

It's not nearly as confusing as it seems now in class. With experience, it'll become second nature.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I agree with poetic (shh dont tell him that).

Your initial assessment, scene safety, MOI and NOI, and all that jazz is done before you get out of the truck and within the first 30 seconds on scene.

I can usually look at someone and see the ABCs, see if there is an MOI, and if there is a need for cspine. Before I even introduce myself, thats all done.

You will get a flow that you like. No one is gonna notice on scene if you ask their medical history before asking allergies.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Real life is dynamic. School is static and algorithmic. In school you must verbalize everything and explain your reasoning for every decision, while in the field, most of this "verbalization" is done subconsciously as mentioned above.

Be Advised:
Although it may be done in a particular fashion in the field, for the sake of testing, ALWAYS perform you assessment exactly as dictated by the algorithm taught in your class.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
In the lamesauce world of IFT it's really not dynamic. Most of the info is fed to you by the nurse because it's procedure to get a report.

After that it's up to you to see how much of the info you can confirm. Some patients talk, some don't but it's as simple as walking in and starting a simple conversation such as:

"Hey, what's up? How are you feeling. You ready to go? Do you know where you're going?"

Doesn't take long to get the vibe from the patient. As you blabber move the sheets, poke around, get vitals going, etc. Eventually you'll get your flow down.

BADDLEGG

Forum Probie
Just like in class but with a real life twist. Scene saftey, anyone running around with a hunting rifle? PPE, check on scene. Walk into residence or on scene. All done with eyes, PT sitting up in bed, chair, standing, etc., obvious skin color pink, or normal skin tone, not to light or to dark. Sweaty or not, ambient temp normal or not( 100 or 72). Talking, means can breath open airway, or how many words between breaths. Tripod, snifling, sounds. Introduce self shake hand feeling for diaphor, hot, cold, clamy, etc. All done in 5 to 10 seconds without even touching pt. Ask about chief comp., can you check glucose, bp, pulse, resp, hook up to monitor, ask sample, opqrst, etc. It is amazing to see a seasoned 15 to 20 medic assess pt. Almost God like, but not really. Dont worry will come with time and effort.

OP
OP
L

Legal Eagle

Forum Probie
Just like in class but with a real life twist. Scene saftey, anyone running around with a hunting rifle? PPE, check on scene. Walk into residence or on scene. All done with eyes, PT sitting up in bed, chair, standing, etc., obvious skin color pink, or normal skin tone, not to light or to dark. Sweaty or not, ambient temp normal or not( 100 or 72). Talking, means can breath open airway, or how many words between breaths. Tripod, snifling, sounds. Introduce self shake hand feeling for diaphor, hot, cold, clamy, etc. All done in 5 to 10 seconds without even touching pt. Ask about chief comp., can you check glucose, bp, pulse, resp, hook up to monitor, ask sample, opqrst, etc. It is amazing to see a seasoned 15 to 20 medic assess pt. Almost God like, but not really. Dont worry will come with time and effort.

Thanks BADDLEGG, that was quite helpful. Anyone else have any tips or info ?