Professional development / tuition reimbursement at your agency

Does your employer have a professional development benefit so you can advance your education?

• Yes they do, and I have used it for college

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Yes they do, but I haven't used it

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No they don't

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Professional Development? Never hear of it, why should they do that?

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Does your employer offer any type of tuition assistance or professional development that you can take advantage of for college classes? There is a lot of talk about getting degrees, so I was curious if YOUR employer offered this benefit.

Note: this doesn't include cert requirements or things to maintain your current credential, just stuff that you would need to advance yourself in the profession.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yep. It is a huge part of why I decided to continue on my education and get my BS.

The only downside is that it is a lifetime total of $16k. A lot of the hospitals around here offer $5k per year with no lifetime max.

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
BLS/ALS/CCT IFT agency in LA County:
1. New EMT's get up to $2k reimbursement for EMT class taken through a community college
2. EMT's who have been with the company for a minimum of 1yr can get $5k towards medic school through 3 community colleges (no contract required)
3. If an RN wants to take a class/training/cert that is not offered through the company, they are paid for it. Up to 40hrs per year at your hourly wage, no lifetime max. You pay for the class, but you are paid while doing it.
4. Another IFT company offers all their ground CCT-RN's the opportunity to take and get their CEN. All fees are paid and you are paid while doing it.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
My agency pays for $500 of college classes, and as far as I know, those classes don't have to do anything towards a career in EMS. I haven't made time for that, yet. They did offset my paramedic school to the tune of $8700 and that was awesome.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We pay for 100% for certification upgrades, and an annual $2500 for degree programs, plus a salary increase once you attain your degree.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
2000 dollars a year towards tuition reimbursement for any higher education degree. Must have a B or better and must return the money if you quit within three years. We also pay for paramedic school for interested employees.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
One of the facilities where I work offers free tuition to all employees and their dependents (for undergrad degree only).

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Supposedly the Army does, but since we are a small base, we don't have anyone who can explain it to us