Pro-Transport (bay area)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
You're wrong. Unions were once useful; not we have OSHA and many safety regulations. There is no longer a need for unions. Unfortunately, I still remain intimately familial with them.

Regarding the oft-said line about management, I have worked in some of the worst environments. Then I got a new job. Americans have become very used to having rather unsustainable standards, at least in the long term.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Like anything else there are good ones and bad ones.

Ill take representation as opposed to allowing a for profit company to determine whats in my best interest.

Johnny Foley

Forum Crew Member
Wow, you completely missed the point didn't you. Not that it matters, as long as you can throw in a personal attack right? So let me make it clear for you sparky. The entire 'It's only 6 months (still only 120 hours, but I digress), but gosh darn it, we worked hard during that 6 months of one 5 hour class a week,' earns the gold star. Of course you wouldn't know work if a union stooge slapped you in the face with it. Afterall, if it isn't in the job description, screw it regardless of what needs to be done, right? Then again, I'm trying to have a reasonable discussion with someone who thinks that unions will get rid of frequent fliers.

Oh, yea, and I never worked hard? Hahahahah. No, really, ha! Yea, I've never came in on one of my off days because too many people called off. I've never stayed late to help pick up the slack when night crews called off. Never made it a point to make sure that my unit was stocked and cleaned, inside and out, without being prompted by a union stooge or management. Yep, none of those things. Oh, and undergrad, grad, and medical school is an absolute cake walk. Yep. [/sarcasm]

I got your point. And its still pretty lame when you re-explained it. Stop trying to convince yourself and everyone else that you are so much better than any EMT out there because you're not. When you graduate with your degree in OM/reiki massage, you will still not be a better person than any emts out there. At best you will still be AS GOOD a person as all of them. You will be their equal. You and all working emt's, medics, RNs, MDs, techs, wheelchair drivers, and even PATIENTS will be all equal. It infuriates me when people inflate their own egos at the expense of others. And you're not even done w school yet! You a still an emt! Show a little self-worth, and again, humility. Yes you may be at a higher skill level, but as a worker, contributer, and human being, you are no better than anyone else. Period.

Yeah it was only 120 hours, but why do you insist on trash talking the EMT position as a whole? Your "gold star" bit is condescending and patronizing. Same with the polished turd. I sure as s**t hope that the emts who xfer your parent or grandparent when its time - and they all get bls xferred eventually, hopefully ONLY bls - treat them with more respect than you give emts on this board.

At the Nike Womens Marathon a few years ago, an emt coworker of mine resucitated a runner in cardiac arrest BY HIMSELF, with bls techniques only. The runner was just down, pulseless, apneic, unresponsive. He had a mini O2 bottle on the bicycle he was riding and an aed as well. He used both accurately and effectively in between pt contact and als arrival. Pt outcome was favorable and she ran in the following year's marathon.

This emt was also working on his day off so when you trash emt's, like you trash the union - who come in on their day off too but for free - remember that you are no better nor worse than anyone else. If your Mom told something different, she was lying.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I got your point. And its still pretty lame when you re-explained it. Stop trying to convince yourself and everyone else that you are so much better than any EMT out there because you're not. When you graduate with your degree in OM/reiki massage, you will still not be a better person than any emts out there. At best you will still be AS GOOD a person as all of them. You will be their equal. You and all working emt's, medics, RNs, MDs, techs, wheelchair drivers, and even PATIENTS will be all equal. It infuriates me when people inflate their own egos at the expense of others. And you're not even done w school yet! You a still an emt! Show a little self-worth, and again, humility. Yes you may be at a higher skill level, but as a worker, contributer, and human being, you are no better than anyone else. Period.
Sorry, I don't get my rocks of on being able to pass the advanced first aid course known as EMT-B. My patients deserve better than that. Also, what sort of hubris puts you on equal footing as an RN, physician, or other higher level provider? There's absolutely nothing wrong with understanding that EMT-B is low man on the totem pole. Sorry, but when I was working as an EMT-B, I fully understood where my spot on the totem pole was and was perfectly fine with it. For you, I dare you to walk up to a physician next time you pick up at the ER and tell him that you're an equal because you're an EMT-B.

Yeah it was only 120 hours, but why do you insist on trash talking the EMT position as a whole? Your "gold star" bit is condescending and patronizing. Same with the polished turd. I sure as s**t hope that the emts who xfer your parent or grandparent when its time - and they all get bls xferred eventually, hopefully ONLY bls - treat them with more respect than you give emts on this board.
I trash the position of EMT-B because the extreme inadequacies in education making it deserving to be trashed. Trashing a level because of such inadequacies is not the same as trashing the providers who make up said level. If EMT-B is the sole source of pride in your life that any slight against your holy of holys level is a direct personal offense, then sorry, I don't know how to help you.

At the Nike Womens Marathon a few years ago, an emt coworker of mine resucitated a runner in cardiac arrest BY HIMSELF, with bls techniques only. The runner was just down, pulseless, apneic, unresponsive. He had a mini O2 bottle on the bicycle he was riding and an aed as well. He used both accurately and effectively in between pt contact and als arrival. Pt outcome was favorable and she ran in the following year's marathon.

This emt was also working on his day off so when you trash emt's, like you trash the union - who come in on their day off too but for free - remember that you are no better nor worse than anyone else. If your Mom told something different, she was lying.

I'm willing to bet that the AED (a common medical device with a level of public access growing to match fire extinguishers) did the vast majority of the work. Good save though. Also, where, again, did I trash any provider who is donating time off to assist at special events? Oh, yea. Keep digging sun shine.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
When you graduate with your degree in OM/reiki massage, you will still not be a better person than any emts out there.

The level of your ignorance is so astounding, I'm surprised that you even know that DOs exist, let alone that they are taught osteopathic manual manipulation. I'm less surprised that you totally misconstrue it as if to make them out as less than doctors - I thought we had gotten away from that sort of stuff thirty years ago. Seeing as DOs (and MDs) can do all sorts of things that EMTs can't - from writing prescriptions to diagnosing disease to the general practice of medicine - I can't believe you would even make a comparison.

By all means be proud of yourself for passing EMT-B. Personally, I found the biggest challenge in the whole course to be showing up at 8 am, but that's just me. EMT-Bs have their place, but don't try to hold them up as the gold standard of anything. And certainly don't compare them to MDs, DOs, Pharm.Ds, D.P.T.s, D.N.P.s, or any other doctors, including Doctors of Chiropractic, who have more credit hours in their respective undergraduate degrees than EMT-Bs have clock hours in their entire program.

Johnny Foley

Forum Crew Member
Sorry, I don't get my rocks of on being able to pass the advanced first aid course known as EMT-B. My patients deserve better than that.

If I was your patient and I knew how much disdain you had for people "underneath" you, I would just assume that since I was not as physically capable you would think less of me too. Then I'd tell you to F off.

Also, what sort of hubris puts you on equal footing as an RN, physician, or other higher level provider? There's absolutely nothing wrong with understanding that EMT-B is low man on the totem pole. Sorry, but when I was working as an EMT-B, I fully understood where my spot on the totem pole was and was perfectly fine with it. For you, I dare you to walk up to a physician next time you pick up at the ER and tell him that you're an equal because you're an EMT-B.

Read the post again Doogie Howser. I'll go up to one of the many physicians I am friends with and ask them how their family is, or what are their holiday plans, or if they have been surfing anywhere good lately, or do you need help in talking to that Mexican family, or could you help me out with this section of microbio I am having trouble with, or anything else that people say to other people. If at that very minute a GSW walked through the ER and collapsed we would both work AS A TEAM (team has strong union connotations doesn't it) to render the best care possible. Me to the total capacity of my scope (which for this patient would be abc maintenence and hemorrhage control, which is exactly what he needs) and the Doc to his. On a volunteer medical mission to Honduras last year I worked alongside 4 amazing MD's whom I assisted in numerous capacities, sometimes going way above my scope (it happens in 3rd world countries when necessary) and forming strong friendships with all involved. NO, I am not parallell to their skill level, but I WORKED HARD alongside them and all of them wrote me awesome letters of recommendation. We all shared the same experiences, sat through the same freezing rain, walked through the same mud, and helped the same families. Not to get too preachy or melodramatic, but, again, you are no better than anyone else. If you can't appreciate this simple fact - like you can't grasp union power, or teamwork, or solidarity amongst coworkers - than you will make a poor, poor provider.

I trash the position of EMT-B because the extreme inadequacies in education making it deserving to be trashed.

AND YOU ARE ONLY 24 y/o, right!? You must be Doogie Howser. You have it more figured out than the NHTSA, the DOT, the DOH, the AAP, the AAEM, NREMT, the AHA, all local EMS agencies, medical dierctors, medical consultants, Fire Departments, assemblymen, supervisors, researchers etc.? Get the F off of your high horse.

If EMT-B is the sole source of pride in your life that any slight against your holy of holys level is a direct personal offense, then sorry, I don't know how to help you.

I don't need your help, and unless I get a sore back or need my chi realigned, I never will.

I'm willing to bet that the AED (a common medical device with a level of public access growing to match fire extinguishers) did the vast majority of the work. Good save though.

You are too arrogant to even put into words. You belittle a fellow healthcare provider's successful attempt at preserving a life (this really happened) because of your own inability to admit when you are wrong and your limitless self-importance. When you are doing your clinicals at the hospitals, I hope someone watches you clean up a Chux completely soaked with diarrhea, and then tells his buddy, "The Chux does the vast majority of the work".

Johnny Foley

Forum Crew Member
The level of your ignorance is so astounding, I'm surprised that you even know that DOs exist, let alone that they are taught osteopathic manual manipulation. I'm less surprised that you totally misconstrue it as if to make them out as less than doctors - I thought we had gotten away from that sort of stuff thirty years ago. Seeing as DOs (and MDs) can do all sorts of things that EMTs can't - from writing prescriptions to diagnosing disease to the general practice of medicine - I can't believe you would even make a comparison.

By all means be proud of yourself for passing EMT-B. Personally, I found the biggest challenge in the whole course to be showing up at 8 am, but that's just me. EMT-Bs have their place, but don't try to hold them up as the gold standard of anything. And certainly don't compare them to MDs, DOs, Pharm.Ds, D.P.T.s, D.N.P.s, or any other doctors, including Doctors of Chiropractic, who have more credit hours in their respective undergraduate degrees than EMT-Bs have clock hours in their entire program.

So go post on OMMlife.com and don't condescend to a thread that is so beneath you. JPINV is just too arrogant not to be made fun of.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Mr. Foley, your responses have become so absurd and hostile that they do not even warrant a response anymore.

Johnny Foley

Forum Crew Member
AND YOU ARE ONLY 24 y/o, right!? You must be Doogie Howser. You have it more figured out than the NHTSA, the DOT, the DOH, the AAP, the AAEM, NREMT, the AHA, all local EMS agencies, medical dierctors, medical consultants, Fire Departments, assemblymen, supervisors, researchers etc.? Get the F off of your high horse.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Umm. Yeah.
Thats that.

ITBL.

Status
Not open for further replies.