Princess Cruises?

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
Thoughts on PCL

Hi Everyone-

First, I went all the way through the Skype Interview with PCL. I found the process interesting. I also find that PCL is looking for more or less EMT-Basics not Paramedics and definitely NOT Remote Duty Medics. IF you're looking for better pay than your current EMT-P job this is not for you. The system is extremely hierarchal and you will be under even the most inexperienced nurse. If you want to someday go for Remote Duty Work, don't go with this job as you have your hand literally held every shift. Remote Duty is wayyy different than this will ever be in it's current form. This form is meant to humiliate Paramedics, not build them professionally.

Benefits: Basically the only benefit that some might find lucrative is the travel, which is easily done with other RDM and offshore positions. The rest of the benefits is seriously lacking even for a stateside ambulance job with a private company as a Paramedic.

Whilst this may be abrasive for some, I will seriously recommend to every Medic looking for the RDM world or moving your career up, don't do this. I have a friend that worked for PCL and fortunately his Iraq experience (which is where we met) carried him into International SOS (a true leader in RDM work). For me, I have two companies that I am currently working with and will be back in the true offshore/RDM world soon. The money for RDM as well as the travel is there, just not with Princess. Maybe someday PCL will figure out the true worth of RDM and how this plugs into the modern medical world but for now plan on working for someone that will make you the lowest of the food chain, professionally speaking.

I wish you all the best. If anyone is looking for better opportunities, feel free to private message me and I will help you find a MUCH better start than PCL. Good luck to everyone not heeding this advice, maybe you're the type that just wants the free room and board on a cruise ship but seriously there are better and more interesting environments as well as more professionally challenging (not to mention true professional growth).

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
Hi Everyone-

First, I went all the way through the Skype Interview with PCL. I found the process interesting. I also find that PCL is looking for more or less EMT-Basics not Paramedics and definitely NOT Remote Duty Medics. IF you're looking for better pay than your current EMT-P job this is not for you. The system is extremely hierarchal and you will be under even the most inexperienced nurse. If you want to someday go for Remote Duty Work, don't go with this job as you have your hand literally held every shift. Remote Duty is wayyy different than this will ever be in it's current form. This form is meant to humiliate Paramedics, not build them professionally.

Benefits: Basically the only benefit that some might find lucrative is the travel, which is easily done with other RDM and offshore positions. The rest of the benefits is seriously lacking even for a stateside ambulance job with a private company as a Paramedic.

Whilst this may be abrasive for some, I will seriously recommend to every Medic looking for the RDM world or moving your career up, don't do this. I have a friend that worked for PCL and fortunately his Iraq experience (which is where we met) carried him into International SOS (a true leader in RDM work). For me, I have two companies that I am currently working with and will be back in the true offshore/RDM world soon. The money for RDM as well as the travel is there, just not with Princess. Maybe someday PCL will figure out the true worth of RDM and how this plugs into the modern medical world but for now plan on working for someone that will make you the lowest of the food chain, professionally speaking.

I wish you all the best. If anyone is looking for better opportunities, feel free to private message me and I will help you find a MUCH better start than PCL. Good luck to everyone not heeding this advice, maybe you're the type that just wants the free room and board on a cruise ship but seriously there are better and more interesting environments as well as more professionally challenging (not to mention true professional growth).

This is a good perspective. Thanks for your thoughts. I think most of this holds true.

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
Hi Everyone-

I agree with almost all of this. This job is more at the EMT-B level than paramedic. Actually the majority of it is administrative. There are very few emergencies. They say they hired paramedics because they wanted to improve their first-response program as the nurses just didn't have the knowledge and skillset, but in actuality I think it's because they were having such retention problems with the nurses that they took all the things the nurses hate about the job and gave it to the paramedics. I mean, we're already used to working long hours for low pay, so it's a perfect fit, lol. Seriously though, the job is not clinically challenging and most of what you deal with is administrative stuff, minor complaints, and people that are vomiting and having diarrhea. It's not the glamorous job they make it out to be.

There are some upsides, I mean you get paid to travel around the world on a cruise ship. There are very few expenses onboard, except for alcohol and internet (which are the only things that keep you sane some days!) You also have the opportunity to meet and work with some really cool people from all over the world.

The program could be so much better if the right people were running it. Unfortunately there is a very high turnover rate because none of the issues that have been raised from the beginning have ever been addressed, such as the cabin situation and the benefits (or lack thereof). A lot of the paramedics quit before they even finish training, or within a couple weeks of being placed on a ship. Very few come back for a second contract.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Why. I want you guys to elaborate. Previously I was a waiter/firefighter for NCL before I turned to EMS. Having worked on a cruise ship I can see the down sides, but I loved it overall and would go back in a heartbeat. Even as a medic. I don't meet the minimum requirements yet (as in time as a paramedic) or I would be applying now instead of typing this. I've also been an EMT overseas I. The Middle East, which is what I fancy and am trying to get back into as a paramedic. As to PCL--- being a paramedic and an officer I mean--- what gives?
What's so horrible. What's the salary? Do you share a room? What's the down side other than sharing a room and not making 100k like an RDM doing actual RDM assignments/contracts? So you don't get to practice at your normal skill level? Is that the only issue, or am I missing something? Because as you said, as a medic looking to "break into" the RDM/contracting thing is my goal, and I was under the impression that this would be a cool experience. I've gotten my feet wet in cruise lines and my ankles wet in contracting overseas- I'm hooked. I want to travel, get paid(better than the average private) and explore the world. Beyond that of the average street paramedic. If guys don't even make it out to the ships-That's a huge red flag.
So, again I ask, why is it so terrible? Specifically. Anyone with first hand experience is encouraged to reply.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I am curious, is anyone aware of any other cruise lines hiring paramedics? I have only seen princess do it.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am curious, is anyone aware of any other cruise lines hiring paramedics? I have only seen princess do it.

To the best of my knowledge and past experience, PCL is solo in this endeavor as of now. Carnival, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean--all staff with docs and nurses. Many years ago I used to go on these ships for a week or so at a time and provide ACLS, BLS and PALS training for them...I tried weaseling my way in, but no go.

Disney uses medics however the Cape Canaveral FD guys got that locked up a long time ago. :)

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
Why. I want you guys to elaborate. Previously I was a waiter/firefighter for NCL before I turned to EMS. Having worked on a cruise ship I can see the down sides, but I loved it overall and would go back in a heartbeat. Even as a medic. I don't meet the minimum requirements yet (as in time as a paramedic) or I would be applying now instead of typing this. I've also been an EMT overseas I. The Middle East, which is what I fancy and am trying to get back into as a paramedic. As to PCL--- being a paramedic and an officer I mean--- what gives?
What's so horrible. What's the salary? Do you share a room? What's the down side other than sharing a room and not making 100k like an RDM doing actual RDM assignments/contracts? So you don't get to practice at your normal skill level? Is that the only issue, or am I missing something? Because as you said, as a medic looking to "break into" the RDM/contracting thing is my goal, and I was under the impression that this would be a cool experience. I've gotten my feet wet in cruise lines and my ankles wet in contracting overseas- I'm hooked. I want to travel, get paid(better than the average private) and explore the world. Beyond that of the average street paramedic. If guys don't even make it out to the ships-That's a huge red flag.
So, again I ask, why is it so terrible? Specifically. Anyone with first hand experience is encouraged to reply.

After taxes the salary is about $3000/month, and if your home state has income tax then you'll have to make payments to them as well as Princess doesn't withhold state taxes. There is no insurance or retirement, that's only for the nurses and doctors.

You may get to practice close to your normal skillset if the doctors let you. The protocols are very basic. You're not going to be giving drugs without their direct orders, except maybe for D50, Epi and Narcan. Once the doctors get to know you and trust you then you may be able to do some things on your own and can probably anticipate what they're going to order, but most everything is by doctor's order only. A lot of what you'll be doing though is dealing with cruise ships' dirty problem which is norovirus. You'll be going to cabins and taking care of people who are having diarrhea and vomiting. For these cases you can give anti-emetics and Immodium without consulting the doctor, if they meet certain criteria.

You don't share a room, and they tell you that you'll get an officer's cabin, but on some ships there aren't extra officer's cabins available so you may get a petty officer's cabin, far away from the medical center, that is smaller, has bunk beds, and no windows. Even if you do get an officer's cabin, it might not have windows or be close to the medical center. On some ships you're a good 3-5 minutes away from the medical center, even though you're the first responder and will be there more than anyone. Usually one paramedic gets a nurse's cabin, which is next to the medical center, has a full size bed, and windows. But if the ship gets an extra nurse, then you'll get kicked out. The ships used to operate with 2 docs and 4 nurses. Now they have 2 docs, 3 nurses, and 2 paramedics, so they need an extra cabin. Unfortunately cabins are allocated by department and it's very difficult to get that changed, so we get whatever's available. The reason some ships don't have paramedics is because there are no cabins for them.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
So literally the same pay. Hmmm...

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
So I just got done training and they are expanding more paramedics into the other ships, Royal is allowing medics as one of the guys I trained with is going there tomorrow. The pay is good, and you do get your own cabin, they are more than accomodating for the medical staff. Yes there may not be as many emergencies that we are used to but they tell you what you are getting yourself into during the interview process, if you are blinded by the prospect of traveling the world while working and just agree with what they say and bypass that then you get hired and are disappointed you have no one to blame but yourself.

They stress this isn't the adrenaline filled prehospital life we are used to. Yes you will get a lot of gastro cases but you'll also get arrests and traumas as well. It's a once in a lifetime experience, I met a brit, an aussie, two women from portugal, and a south african nurse day one and now I have them as friends for the rest of my life. Not to mention the countless otherpeople I've met around the world. To be able to be in this position is a privilege. Not many people make it past the first Skype interview, if you read through all 27 pages of this thread you'll see how difficult it can be to get hired. How many times can you say that for your job training you were on the beaches of Cozumel for lunch, then Roatan, Honduras swimming with dolphins the next afternoon and having a margarita in Belize the next morning? Um yeah I'll take that training program all week! Actually, I did! It's for some people, and for others it isn't. You wanna play remote medic in BFE by yourself and make money you won't spend for months, be my guest. To each their own.

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
I think you should wait and actually work a full 4 month contract and them come back and see if you feel the same way. I hope you do, but as history has shown, most don't. One week of training is not the same as 4 months of actually working. We've been hearing that they're putting paramedics on other ships since the very beginning, but in reality they've actually pulled paramedics from ships. The Sea Princess used to have medics but not anymore. Too many people quit and they didn't have enough for the bigger ships. The Royal has had paramedics since it was brought out. It's the only ship actually designed with them in mind. The Regal will have them too.

It can be a great job, but only for a certain type of person. You have to be very flexible, open-minded, and willing to work some long hours doing a lot of mundane stuff. Yeah, the prospect of traveling the world is great, until you get stuck going back to back to Hawaii for 4 months. 8-9 sea days and 4 port days, which you must split with the other medic. Don't forget drills every cruise that cut in to that time off in port and then there's daily clinics as well. If you were up all night the night before, you may be to tired to even go out. Buy hey, if you still enjoy it despite these things then your a good fit for the job.

So I just got done training and they are expanding more paramedics into the other ships, Royal is allowing medics as one of the guys I trained with is going there tomorrow. The pay is good, and you do get your own cabin, they are more than accomodating for the medical staff. Yes there may not be as many emergencies that we are used to but they tell you what you are getting yourself into during the interview process, if you are blinded by the prospect of traveling the world while working and just agree with what they say and bypass that then you get hired and are disappointed you have no one to blame but yourself.

They stress this isn't the adrenaline filled prehospital life we are used to. Yes you will get a lot of gastro cases but you'll also get arrests and traumas as well. It's a once in a lifetime experience, I met a brit, an aussie, two women from portugal, and a south african nurse day one and now I have them as friends for the rest of my life. Not to mention the countless otherpeople I've met around the world. To be able to be in this position is a privilege. Not many people make it past the first Skype interview, if you read through all 27 pages of this thread you'll see how difficult it can be to get hired. How many times can you say that for your job training you were on the beaches of Cozumel for lunch, then Roatan, Honduras swimming with dolphins the next afternoon and having a margarita in Belize the next morning? Um yeah I'll take that training program all week! Actually, I did! It's for some people, and for others it isn't. You wanna play remote medic in BFE by yourself and make money you won't spend for months, be my guest. To each their own.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I found out a fun fact last night. Apparently our MD is a cruise ship doc and that's why he's not always around...

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
Well I have not updated recently on here so I thought that I would. I am due to set sail mid-March. I am super excited.

As promised I have started a blog. I am going to do my best to keep up with it on a regular basis.

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/medic0921

Let me know what you think!

Good luck with your journeys. I'll start a blog as well for those looking for what offshore medicine really looks like. I'm definitely thankful to have been rejected by PCL and receive a job paying 2.5 times that of PCL and off wayyyy more. We do 5/5 week rotations and we still see a ton of countries. :)

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Good luck with your journeys. I'll start a blog as well for those looking for what offshore medicine really looks like. I'm definitely thankful to have been rejected by PCL and receive a job paying 2.5 times that of PCL and off wayyyy more. We do 5/5 week rotations and we still see a ton of countries. :)

Ya hiring? Fiancee prefers I don't go downrange with an M4/HK416 anymore. Dammit.

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
Ya hiring? Fiancee prefers I don't go downrange with an M4/HK416 anymore. Dammit.
Yes many are but look for them. To gain a true break into Remote Medicine, expect to pay your dues so don't limit to oh well I can't do Iraq or other places. My company is hiring, but we're now getting to be selective. So find those opportunities that get to the true remote/offshore world and then you'll get there.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Oh, I don't care about Iraq/ :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:istan. BTDT. Years ago taught at KASOTC for a while and had as much of a blast as one can have in Jordan.

I'm not into PSD/ armed role at the moment. There is a wee difference. All my old friends however, are pretty much still at TC (although I'm getting mixed reviews of them lately too) and other private military companies.

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
Oh, I don't care about Iraq/ :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:istan. BTDT. Years ago taught at KASOTC for a while and had as much of a blast as one can have in Jordan.

I'm not into PSD/ armed role at the moment. There is a wee difference. All my old friends however, are pretty much still at TC (although I'm getting mixed reviews of them lately too) and other private military companies.

I'm no where close to PSD. Wouldn't mind but I'm in Offshore. Basically to prove yourself to the better companies you've gotta find work that proves your Remote Medicine or have 5-10 years in EMS with very long transport times and still expect a huge uphill climb to the level of Remote/Offshore Medicine

TacMedic

Forum Probie
Princess Cruise Line - Paramedic

I have had a profile for a long time (6+ months) on the PCL hiring site (Job Agent) and I can't seem to get anywhere within the hiring process. I submitted the resume and cover letter and I don't get any response. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have a real person contact in order to have a human look at the status of a resume submission?