Prescription meds on duty

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Does anyone work for a company that forbids employees to take prescription meds while on duty? Just wondering how common this practice is.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There is no better way for me to treat my pulmonary hypertension

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Not hard to understand why. Got to have rigid enforcement of the rules for all the members. Take that med on the job, face stiff penalties.
img-thing.jpg

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Not hard to understand why. Got to have rigid enforcement of the rules for all the members. Take that med on the job, face stiff penalties.
How long did it take you to come up with that post? It was time well spent.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've never heard of such a policy. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Most places test for Benzos, too.

I consider benzos narcotics, at least under the original definition of the word (a psychoactive compound with sleep-inducing properties).
No idea why we only consider opiates to be narcotics in the US now.

OP
OP
M

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. I asked because there's an agency in town that's hiring while advertising a zero-tolerance policy including prescription medication. I'd never heard of that before. I think it would be impractical and unrealistic to ban ALL prescription medication.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. I asked because there's an agency in town that's hiring while advertising a zero-tolerance policy including prescription medication. I'd never heard of that before. I think it would be impractical and unrealistic to ban ALL prescription medication.

Are you in a state with medicinal cannabis? If so, that's probably what they're referring to.
I'm sure you'll be fine taking your lisinopril or whatever.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The words "zero tolerance" are typically used when referring to narcotics. Therefore I would assume that all narcs and/or marijuana is banned while on duty even if it is legal in the state.