Pre-EMT'er Questions

emted

Forum Ride Along
Hi I am new to the forum and I am considering taking the EMT courses at the local CC to become an EMT.

As expected I have a lot of questions; If anyone could answer some or all of these questions it would greatly help me. Thanks!

1) What procedures do beginning EMT usually do? What kind of work is entrusted to beginning EMT's (I hear mostly IFT, anything else)? and what kinds of procedures do experienced EMT's do?

2) Can beginning EMT's drive the ambulance? If not, when do you get to?

3) When can EMT's get to be the ones to work accidents and emergencies?

4) Is it possible to work part time as an EMT? are there any 4 hour shifts or are they mostly 8 and above?

I know that is a lot of questions but I would appreciate any input, Thanks!

Bulldog Medic Student

Forum Probie
1. Everything in the protocols
2.Depends on where you work or vollie. Probably will need an EVOC training and also know your coverage area.
3.If you vollie right away, if you are paid depends on the agency. Wether it does 911 or just IFT
4. Many start as per diem but usually 8 hour min. shift

Look to vollie unless your in a market where there is a shortage of EMT's. Good way to get 911 experience.

Pittsburgh77

Forum Crew Member
See below.
1) What procedures do beginning EMT usually do? What kind of work is entrusted to beginning EMT's (I hear mostly IFT, anything else)? and what kinds of procedures do experienced EMT's do?
-Well, it depends on the company you work for. At my company, EMTs cover BLS duties on an ALS truck.

-Depends on your company, but at mine yes both crew members drive.

-Depends on your company. My company is ALS w/1 medic& emt. So everyone does their share within scope of practice.

4) Is it possible to work part time as an EMT? are there any 4 hour shifts or are they mostly 8 and above?
-Depends on your company, part time hours where I work at is 32 hours of less a week.... 4 hour shifts just don't make any sense to have in place.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief

I started off with 911. I have never worked for an IFT company.

Almost 99% of the agencies that you will get onto. You will work with an FTO (Field Training officer) and another EMT/MEDIC (Depending on what your service type is ALS vs BLS) after you complete your class. The length of time can very depending on your agencies protocols and how your FTO feels about you being released. The FTO job is to make sure you know the protocols for your agency, and that you are comfortable with your skills and that you know your skills.

Depends on your agency and location. Most agencies require you to take an "IN HOUSE" class on vehicle operations. Other agencies also require this plus the DOT EVOC (Dept Of Transportation Emergency Vehicle Operations Class).

Refer to question 1. Also, if you are working 911 EMS, You will be on an ambulance that is running 911 calls. If you are working IFT only, There is a very very small chance that you will respond to a "Accident" or "Medical Emergency." The reason I say there is a very very small chance is because sometimes the agency that normally responds to these calls are all on calls and that agency will call other agencies for area coverage just in case there is another 911 call.

Yes and No. Once again depends on the agency. Some agencies that are Paid have a Part-Time crew that is PRN (As needed) and are called in to cover standbys, or come in and work part of a shift that a full time person needs off. Also Part time employees are usually required to work so many hours a month meaning that you have to work a Shift (8, 12, or 24 hrs.)

Hope this answers your questions, if you need clarification please feel free to ask

OP
OP
E

emted

Forum Ride Along
Wow this is all really good information; it really is getting me excited to become an EMT. How do I get to ALS? Will I need to further my education beyond the EMT training course? What does per diem mean? And vollies?

Lastly, I live in the South Bay Area California, what is the EMT work climate like there?

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Wow this is all really good information; it really is getting me excited to become an EMT. How do I get to ALS? Will I need to further my education beyond the EMT training course? What does per diem mean? And vollies?

Lastly, I live in the South Bay Area California, what is the EMT work climate like there?

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!

Be prepared to look long and hard with no guarantee of a job for a while. California is oversaturated with new EMTs. And ALS means paramedic. I don't know many people who are satisfied just being an EMT for the duration of their vocation in EMS.