Post editing time

How long should you be able to edit your own messages?

• 5 Minutes (what it is currently set at)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 15 minutes

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • 30 minutes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 1 hour

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 2 hours

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 4 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 hours

• 12 hours

• 24 hours

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
So... what do we think is a reasonable time frame for editing posts?

The poll is up, and will be up for 15 days.... speak now, or forever hold your peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
15-20 mins? I'd be happy with that.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
15 would suit me. Give me time to... yanno.. and get back to my bottle of water and typing.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This poll will remain a sticky until it closes, but I must say that we're probably not going to change the edit time unless more people respond.

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Thanks, FFemt8978.

I'm saying "2 hours" - plenty of time to realize you made a mistake and correct it, but not long enough that someone can delete lots of posts.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Come on people reply!

The worst that will happen, is nothing! Up that post count!

Someone send Matt an Apple... Ya notice how nobody does that anymore? Give the teacher an apple.. In the south the kids.... thier teacher.. What would happen if tommorrow, everyone gave their favorite teacher/instructor/professor/etc an apple?

Someone would prolly think it's a terrorist plot! :p

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
15 minutes is plenty of time- if you have to leave and dont make it back in time to edit your post you can usually ask a mod to either delete the post or edit it for you.

CP

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Of course, they do provide a preview button...

Perhaps, if we all took the time to properly proof read our initial draft, before posting the final, that would reslove the need to edit.

And I graduated from public schools...

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
NOTE* I am also guilty of posting before looking over my sentences... Just so I don't offend anyone.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm one of those who voted for 24 hours, and I'll tell you why.

I've been running my own Internet message board for almost six years now, and I've been an active member on many message boards for longer than that. Many is the time I've seen an argument or conflict spring up from a misinterpretation over what someone said in a posted message. But you see, there's the problem: People don't say anything on message boards, they write them. In a written message, the words are all there is. In a face-to-face oral conversation, however, you have facial and body language and tone of voice. Even in a telephone call, you still get tone of voice. All of these non-verbal forms of communication add meaning to the actual words being spoken, and sometimes, the actual words themselves mean less than how they're said. The words might mean one thing, but because of the way they were said, you understand some other meaning from the person who said them. But these non-verbal forms of communication are completely lost in written-only messages, such as what we have here on a message board. (Smilies and emoticons do not nearly make up for the loss, in my opinion.) This is why I've said in the past in another thread here that people should really be more careful with what they write, because it's so much easier here to confuse meanings. When your words are the only thing you have to convey your meaning, you need to make sure that your words are conveying the meaning you intend. But, in my experience, this fact is often forgotten, and people write things that come across to other people in a way they didn't intend. Now, because you can't write and post something and expect everyone to read it within five minutes, or 15 minutes or an hour, I've always had a 24-hour editing window on my own message boards, and have seen the same time allowed on many others. This gives enough time for a lot of people to read what you wrote, for you to realize if people aren't understanding your message the way you intended, and for you to fix the problem.

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
good point....

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
This, Alex:

JJR512 said:
I'm one of those who voted for 24 hours, and I'll tell you why.

I've been running my own Internet message board for almost six years now, and I've been an active member on many message boards for longer than that. Many is the time I've seen an argument or conflict spring up from a misinterpretation over what someone said in a posted message. But you see, there's the problem: People don't say anything on message boards, they write them. In a written message, the words are all there is. In a face-to-face oral conversation, however, you have facial and body language and tone of voice. Even in a telephone call, you still get tone of voice. All of these non-verbal forms of communication add meaning to the actual words being spoken, and sometimes, the actual words themselves mean less than how they're said. The words might mean one thing, but because of the way they were said, you understand some other meaning from the person who said them. But these non-verbal forms of communication are completely lost in written-only messages, such as what we have here on a message board. (Smilies and emoticons do not nearly make up for the loss, in my opinion.) This is why I've said in the past in another thread here that people should really be more careful with what they write, because it's so much easier here to confuse meanings. When your words are the only thing you have to convey your meaning, you need to make sure that your words are conveying the meaning you intend. But, in my experience, this fact is often forgotten, and people write things that come across to other people in a way they didn't intend. Now, because you can't write and post something and expect everyone to read it within five minutes, or 15 minutes or an hour, I've always had a 24-hour editing window on my own message boards, and have seen the same time allowed on many others. This gives enough time for a lot of people to read what you wrote, for you to realize if people aren't understanding your message the way you intended, and for you to fix the problem.

See..... If I could edit my posts 24 hours later, I'd have quoted this in my above post. Does my post count really need to be any higher???

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
as i run a biz, have kids here screaming, dogs running amok, and a gaggle of communicative sqawk boxes going off i must say a little more time to review and 'tune up' a post would be benifical

of course if the debate is only held to short sentences here, they'll be no need right?

as such, in the interest of such lofty goals i must agree with JJ

~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
untitled.jpg

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
The edit should really only be for fixing grammatical or spelling errors.

Dont post if you aren't 100% sure of the validity of the content, or if you don't mean your opinion. The edit function should NOT be for changing your opinion or content.

If you set it more than 5 minutes, thats going to give people more time to change the content of the post. 5 minutes is ample time to simply look over the post and check for any grammatical errors. Although as TTL has pointed out, you should be using the Preview Post for this.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
15 min seems to be leading the pack here....and yanno, this is my off time here, while the rest of the world expects me to turn on a dime it'd be nice to get a break from it during my on-line R&R...

~S~