Portland EMS

mdcauley

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys. I am currently living in Georgia and in Paramedic school. I will not graduate until December, but was really wanting to get out of Georgia once I graduate and was looking to move to Portland, Oregon. My best friend moved out there a few years ago and has been begging me to come out there. I have been trying to research the EMS scene out there (she is not EMS so does not know much about it). I know where I am in Georgia a lot of companies are hurting for Paramedics. Does anyone know if it is that way out in Portland and what companies are good to work for and what not. And also how the reciprocity works out there. From my understanding, as long as I keep my NREMT up to date, I should only have to take the state test and get registered with the state. I am just mainly looking for any and all info you guys have! I appreciate any and all help that you may lend. And I am sorry if this topic has been addressed in a previous post.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have worked in and around Portland as an EMT and Paramedic for 5 years. We have been on a Paramedic hiring freeze in Portland for years. That is why I left and started expating around the world over 2 years ago. My friend who is a Paramedic was actually laid off. Another friend of mine who still lives and works in Portland became a Paramedic 4 years ago and has never got to work as one. He just works in ED as a tech.

Also Oregon has a college degree requirement for Paramedics. The rule use to be an AAS in EMS related field or a BA/BS in any field. I have herd they changed this rule and it maybe waived with 5 years ALS, NREMT-P experience.

AMR multonomah county is the only 911 transporting agency inside Portland. Outside Portland there is AMR clark county to the north and Metro West Ambulance covering the rest of the surrounding area. Maybe things have changed, feel free to contact them and let me know

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Oregon has a huge pool of volunteer firefighters and college students interested in EMS, and looking for jobs. Consider making and cultivating contacts and friends there (such as through EMTLIFE?) to keep a lookout for potential positions. Also consider working something besides direct patient care, like dispatch, to get into the system and the area.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
As has been stated already, the job market for paramedics in Oregon is pretty dismal, out of my class last year, only a few people have actually gotten jobs. The company I work for is hiring part-time paramedics for the summer, but other than that, I haven't seen many other jobs.

Like schulz pointed out, Oregon has a degree requirement for paramedics. You must either have an AAS in EMS or a BA/BS of some sort. Now this can be waived if you have worked as a paramedic for 3 of the last 5 years, but it seems as though that will be irrelevant to you at this time. Here's a link to the reciprocity information.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
If you can stand staying in Georgia for a bit longer once you have your P, get a job with AMR and put a little time in. Then lateral over to Portland through the intercompany postings that the general public never even knows about

Last edited by a moderator:

Camtheman

Forum Probie
Hello all! I know this is an old thread but it seems relivant. I am also looking to move to Potland, Oregon and I will have my associates degree as a paramedic in about a month and a half. I understand from reading on here that working on an ambulance seems like a long shot, but what about Fire dept/Forestry/hospital? I love what this site does for the ems community and very glad to be a part! Any and all advice (especially networking!) is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I would check with AMR Portland office. Ask "Jennifer Stoner" I am not sure if shes still works there or not but she use to be the recruitment person for the whole areas AMR operations. I could dig up her email if you need help contacting the office let me know