Portland AMR?

smacphee

Forum Probie
Hello. I am wondering if anybody works for AMR in Portland area. I am curious about the pay scales of medics and what it is like generally working there. Thanks.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Are you going for your medic AAS? If not you need to get that before you can work in OR IIRC

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Sorry to derail this thread but I have an aside quesiton on OR paramedics. To obtain licensure in OR as a paramedic do you need an A.S. in Paramedicine or just your National Registry EMT-P AND any A.S or higher degree?

OP
OP
S

smacphee

Forum Probie
Good question. This would be a good reference. I actually will have a aas degree when I am done with my internship.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have been on there waiting list for over a year. They hire from the inside first. Landing Paramedic jobs in the Portland area have been difficult lately.
AMR Portland starts at about $39,000 when I last spoke with them.
Yes Oregon requires you have an AAS that includes A&P 1,2,3 chemistry, ect ect. If you do not have this you may file reciprocity with a letter of recommendation from your present medical director, and proof that you are currently enrolled in college finishing your AAS with Oregons requires classes.
OR... we will take any bachelors degree in any field with NREMT-P

OP
OP
S

smacphee

Forum Probie
I have been on there waiting list for over a year. They hire from the inside first. Landing Paramedic jobs in the Portland area have been difficult lately.
AMR Portland starts at about $39,000 when I last spoke with them.
Yes Oregon requires you have an AAS that includes A&P 1,2,3 chemistry, ect ect. If you do not have this you may file reciprocity with a letter of recommendation from your present medical director, and proof that you are currently enrolled in college finishing your AAS with Oregons requires classes.
OR... we will take any bachelors degree in any field with NREMT-P

Hmmm. Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought they paid more than that. The program I went through had a+p but no chemical. I did finish most of my general ed though.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have not checked since last year, but they started at close to 40K then. Oregon may or may not take your AAS, you will have to contact the state. worse case scenario they make you take AP 2 and 3 ( if you only have 1) and chemistry. Who knows, they keep changing there degree standards. I know guys with Bachelors in theology and Oregon accepted them.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Sweet! My plan down the line is to move to northern OR and I was trying to understand if my AS would be accepted since it lacks some of their required classes. Many of my classes were major specific. If what you are saying is true though I will be alright since I have a BS in Kinesiology. I will look into it more down the line but thanks for the useful info. :)

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
Hmmm. Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought they paid more than that.

There are a ton of paramedics in Portland. There are at least 5 or 6 paramedic schools either in Portland or under an hour or two away. Most of the paramedics that work for AMR here in Portland tend to do side jobs such as teaching & events etc....