• No

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
And if by the off chance we got podcasts and were able to upload them to ipods and mp3 players.. I could justify buying a new mp3 player as a educational study tool :]

I hope so. I would like something to listen to on shift sometimes

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I think it would be neat. If you have questions on how to start it up, email Jamie Davis who runs the MedicCast Pod Cast. He does a good job in my opinion. He's said that he has had several people email him with questions on starting up a podcast and he doesn't mind answering questions on it. Something to look into at least.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
ffemt8978 We have many highly educated people on here. Maybe even require it to be reviewed for accuracy prior to allowing it to be on.

Reviewed for accuracy by whom? This would seem to advocate the formation of an editorial advisory board to assure content meets editorial and educational standards. I think we're getting a bit over our heads here.

A pod cast here for education? I've shudder enough when I see threads from phantom posters with only a moniker to their name that ramble legalities as if they were in their third year of law school. And even then they fail to back up their jurist statements without so much as a credible citation. Yet, we have absolutely nothing that supports any credentials of the poster. But there are people here who will take such threads as the Gospel.

Anecdotal EMS is rampant here as well. Some of it is just down right laughable and again I cannot help but wonder how many of the EMS students take some of this nonsense to mind and into their careers.

A pod cast here might have some merit, but hosts should have verified credentials for their profession and not just some moniker.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Interesting points, Ray.

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I don't mind sending my resume and copies of cert.'s & license to ensure credibility to the host master.

It's not that big of deal, make a disclaimer. How does one really know at local conferences and even JEMS, etc? There all based upon the honor system as well.

R/r 911

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
It's not that big of deal, make a disclaimer. How does one really know at local conferences and even JEMS, etc? There all based upon the honor system as well.
R/r 911

It is a big deal. I want to know the background of the host that his providing us experience, training, etc. With electronic interchange such as this forum, there are a great number of posters who work solely behind a moniker with nothing to verify their level of experience, education, etc.

As far as conferences, I had to submit an educational and experience biography with references for the conference staff to contact. Although in many cases the speaker's reputation in the industry precedes him or her and therefore, such background contact is unnecessary. As far as JEMS, that's what the editorial staff and advisory board is for. They can request further credentials, experience, etc. to qualify an article for publication. They're very careful about that at JEMS.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmm interesting idea. If anyone has skype, and a recorder for it (costs some money), it would be easy to put together ones from with multiple people from different areas. It would also be possible to have guests then.

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Okay, since I brought up the idea; here is thought I had. To offer discussion on topics, review and maybe clarify areas discussed within the EMT to Paramedic curriculum, and maybe "hot topics" of today. Along with this maybe invite special guests that can add or stimulate interest within EMS.

Since it would be doubtful to obtain blank CEU's; specific credibility is not really even warranted. Again, a verbal discussion to add to. C'mon folks, let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill. How do we really know if anyone is really who they say they are. I have lectured, talked, written for numerous EMS magazines and textbooks and never had to send in "license, etc". Like I said, I don't mind but again let's be reasonable.

If one is going to change their practice because something they read or heard on line; they have more problems that we cannot control.

If the technical situation can be worked out, I suggest possibly a weekly or monthly pre-planned topic. A general outline with if need be resources cited and of course understanding that it is a "discussion". A simple disclaimer alike those that one should see at any medical conference, That this is the ideas and thoughts of the speaker, lecture and should not consider to over ride local medical control"..

I thought since some of us know or maybe can contact renowned authors, speakers, it would generate more participation and listeners. For example maybe discussing with Dr Bledsoe on the immediate future of EMS or Bill Brown CEO of the NREMT, or if there was an event (i.e. disaster) discussion with the lead medic of their thoughts and ideas.

We all can grow by learning off each other. Why would one want to prohibit growing?

If you don't like the idea. It is simple don't listen or turn it on. It's really that easy.

R/r 911

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Let me make it a bit simpler to understand... Rid, I don't know who you are! I don't know you're real name, where you work, etc. I would feel more comfortable just knowing that! But to go into what can be perceived as an educational forum without any reasonable background about the host, seems to be leaving behind some basic essentials to the curriculum.

I have no doubt that you are very educated and experienced in this industry. I just want to know more about our host! Is that asking too much?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Reviewed for accuracy by whom? This would seem to advocate the formation of an editorial advisory board to assure content meets editorial and educational standards. I think we're getting a bit over our heads here.

A pod cast here for education? I've shudder enough when I see threads from phantom posters with only a moniker to their name that ramble legalities as if they were in their third year of law school. And even then they fail to back up their jurist statements without so much as a credible citation. Yet, we have absolutely nothing that supports any credentials of the poster. But there are people here who will take such threads as the Gospel.

Anecdotal EMS is rampant here as well. Some of it is just down right laughable and again I cannot help but wonder how many of the EMS students take some of this nonsense to mind and into their careers.

A pod cast here might have some merit, but hosts should have verified credentials for their profession and not just some moniker.

I agree pod cast need to be from verified individuals and still should be reviewed for accuracy by other educated members of the site prior to posting to avoid misleading new individuals.

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Let me make it a bit simpler to understand... Rid, I don't know who you are! I don't know you're real name, where you work, etc. I would feel more comfortable just knowing that! But to go into what can be perceived as an educational forum without any reasonable background about the host, seems to be leaving behind some basic essentials to the curriculum.

I have no doubt that you are very educated and experienced in this industry. I just want to know more about our host! Is that asking too much?

Like I described numerous times, I have no problem nor should any of those that would be associated with appearing should have. I would proudly submit to the host’s copies of my and I am sure their accreditation as well. Simply put; submit or be excluded. What I am pointing out, it does not really matter if all persons listening really knows my personal name or (i.e. Vent's, Flight LP) personal identity as long as the hosts of the forum have the appropriate documentation. I am not attempting to be secret, but alike what you said the internet is a haven for hackers and even more. Listeners do not need to know personal information other than the person speaking has been approved to do so by the staff of the hosts.

I do agree credibility is essential. No argument there. On to whom and how much information is displayed on a routine basis is my main interest.
What I hope to do was to spark interest in public discussion, to entice and spark even civil debates on topics and as well bring experts to the forum sites. Something that many EMS experts especially avoid.
By performing discussion this would never replace or change current patient care but; it may cause one to investigate and promote research to appropriately bring ideas and changes within their system. I do believe EMS is going to have to expand in the avenue of “thinking outside the norm or box”.
If it is too much problems, that is okay; someone else will do it. Since this forum is comprised of many EMS students it would be a valuable tool to open the creativity of learning more than just the traditional methods.
R/r 911

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I agree pod cast need to be from verified individuals and still should be reviewed for accuracy by other educated members of the site prior to posting to avoid misleading new individuals.

while I personally have no problem sending my credentials and references to anyone I do work for, how do you review material for accuracy? Sure if you are speaking about something basic that is easy. But what about topics where an institution is researching something without published data already? As well, with all the normal debate in medicine all of us probably have divergent practice.

Rather than bill a pod cast as "educational" since I doubt you would get CEUs for it anyway, why not just call it the speakers opinion? Everytime I have done a lecture or presentation outside my agency, somebody usually introduces me with a clip of my resume. Which I provided. I hope they would verify it, i would verify theirs, but truthfully I doubt it is always done.

As for people using it as gospel, people cite JEMS as gospel. Also consider the level of actual influence. I can spout all day about my opinions of how medicine should be practiced, but I have absolutely no authority to overrule or change a protocol. Even if you agree with my opinion, if your agency or medical director tells you differently, then I would strongly remind you that they do have authority over how you practice.

In addition, with the exception of places I am employed to teach or lecture in my time away from school, I like to stick with a "more food for thought" style than a "thou shall follow these rules."

Furthermore, isn't this idea just punditry?

Pronunciation: \ˈpən-dət\
Function: noun
Etymology: Hindi paṇḍit, from Sanskrit paṇḍita, from paṇḍita learned
Date: 1672
1 : pandit
2 : a learned man : teacher
3 : a person who gives opinions in an authoritative manner usually through the mass media : critic

(Meriam-Webster online dictionary)

Moreover what is an expert? Several people in the last presidential administration were "experts." You can even go to any medic mill and find credentialed experts. If people don't like what I say now, how will having me in video change anything?

I also like to avoid posting my resume so that I can have debate with my peers, rather than appear as an authority. I would like to have no moniker after my name at all, but I do get tired of people telling me I am a paragod or playing doctor.

Incidentally I cancelled my JEMS subscription in protest several years back when they formed a partnership with the IAFC.

http://www.firerescueexpo.com/images/100388/iafcannouncement/IAFCbreakingnewspressrelease.pdf

When I hear about groups lobbying to hold EMS education or advancement back the IAFF and IAFC comes up a lot. Talk about a faustian bargain.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I would be willing to host, edit, produce and be the technical advisor for this project. (I have over 20 years of broadcast experience, most recently as the Program Director of a station here in Seattle.) I have a full broadcast quality studio at home and can easily make any podcast sound professional. I also have a website that can host the audio.

We can have the expert interact with the host and additional guests on via skype or other VoIP system.

I think it's a great idea and I'd love to be involved.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
So, what's the next step. How do we move forward? There have been many things I've done successfully, including hosting Podcasts, but I've never created them with people from all over the net.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
So, what's the next step. How do we move forward? There have been many things I've done successfully, including hosting Podcasts, but I've never created them with people from all over the net.

well, n7 has volunteered the technical know how. I think a board to discuss what would be offered is in order. Maybe find a sponsor.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Sponsor for what, and why would we need one?

Veneficus

Forum Chief

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Okay, anybody that want's to be responsible for creating the podcasts, please send me a PM or an email to moderators(at)emtlife.com

Please put it in a resume style describing your experience and equipment to create the podcasts.