Pilots wearing EMS uniform

EMSpilotSA

Forum Ride Along
Hi guys,

I am a helicopter pilot flying for a private company which is contracted in to supply aircraft and pilots for the Government HEMS operation.

We were issued with exactly the same uniform (jumpsuits) that all government EMS personnel wear (HEMS and on the road). Whilst this is great for uniformity, I see several problems with this practice.

Firstly, I am not in the employ of EMS. I was not sworn in , nor have a signed or adhere to their code of conduct.

Secondly , I have no medical training. Public perception is that I am a trained medical crew. Thus the doctors and medical staff at hospitals ask me for info or ramble on in your medical language of which I understand zilch, wasting precious time. Also if I am involved or come across and accident or emergency people automatically expect me to act. I can not. This causes huge confusion and unhappiness and makes the service look really bad.

When we land on any scene I do not assist in patient treatment. I will give a hand carrying a stretcher or holding a IV if it is really necessary but our company protocol is to stay out of my medics' way and keep my mouth shut about things I know nothing about. I fly the heli. That is it. So passersby at a mass casualty scene see a lot of frantically working people and patients that need treatment and me the supposed "EMT" standing with hands folded....Looks really bad and makes emotions run even higher than necessary in very stressed situations.

I need some advice on how to tackle this issue with management. I dont mind conforming to some kind of uniform but it cannot say Provincial EMS large on my back etc. I am not a member of EMS. I love EMS and work with them everyday but I am a pilot. I hate making our service look bad. We are doing the best we can in a 3rd world country.

How do I properly motivate my issue? Or am I overreacting?

leoemt

Forum Captain
Your over reacting. You are part of the EMS team regardless if you have medical training or not. Flying a patient to the hospital is just as important as the RN's in the back providing care.

Our dispatchers where our same uniform as us. Our Mechanics wear the company patch on their work clothes. Deployment wears the uniform too.

Its a giant team. No different than every employee in the hospital wearing scrubs.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Just politely tell them you are the pilot and direct them to whomever they need to talk to. In my experience it is normal for the pilot to wear the same jumpsuit as everyone else.

OP
OP
E

EMSpilotSA

Forum Ride Along
Oh, ok well then I appreciate your input. I come from a law enforcement background where uniform is a major issue so it is possible that I can blow things out of proportion.

I just always feel a bit strange when I am just standing there doing nothing and people think I should be doing something! :lol:

Anyway, I will adress the situation as suggested, thanks.:D

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Round these parts the HEMS guys all wear the same uniform, The two choppers operated by the State Police wear olive drab flightsuits, you can tell the pilots by the sidearm. The privates wear royal blue flightsuits and helmets. But everyone on the crew wears the same color. Usually the pilot stays with the aircraft though, so it isnt much of an issue.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Around here, the pilot doesn't leave the bird, so it isn't an issue.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
That's what I was thinking, Epi. I very rarely see the pilot get out of the helicopter.

OfficerEvenEMT

Forum Crew Member
I've worked with choppers and fixed wing craft doing EMS transport. The pilots always look way different than the medical staff.

Thus the doctors and medical staff at hospitals ask me for info or ramble on in your medical language of which I understand zilch

I got a good belly laugh out of this! The British have an amazing way to write that is awesome and amazing.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't think you are overreacting. By wearing the same uniform you are creating a false expectation for people around you, which is clearly an issue. Whilst many places have pilots that don't leave the bird, that is obviously not an option for you. I suspect that working in SA the scenes and dynamics are most likely a little different from most in the continental US.

Our medics and pilots wear essentially the same uniform, however they are very clearly marked, front and back as Paramedic, Crewman, Pilot. Is this an option? Rather than change the uniform, at least get clear patches that say what you do. Probably cheaper than getting a completely different outfit. I'm sure the managers would appreciate the poor PR from having an "EMT" standing around doing nothing, so they may be able to reach into the budget to correct the issue.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Is the uniform IAW applicable flight regulations and fire retardancy regs? Does it pose any limitations or dangers during flight or potential emergencies?

Just leave your helmet on and pretend to be talking into the mike when anyone approaches you ...;)

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Does the "SA" in your name stand for Saudi Arabia? If your a HEMS contractor there maybe I can offer some guidance.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Perhaps a great big PILOT button?

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Even if the word PILOT is put on a neon sign above your head in bright pink letters people will still think that because you're there as a part of the EMS crew that you're "medical personnel". It's just human nature...

You see the same thing in airports with passengers asking pilots*

"What gate does my flight leave from?"
"Uh, lady, I don't know, I'm going to Chicago from K19 in 20 minutes, that's all I know. Check the departure boards or ask an agent!"
"You don't know? You work here!"
"Yes ma'am, I'm a pilot, I just fly the planes"
"Oh."

*actual conversation

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
Oh, ok well then I appreciate your input. I come from a law enforcement background where uniform is a major issue so it is possible that I can blow things out of proportion.

I just always feel a bit strange when I am just standing there doing nothing and people think I should be doing something! :lol:

Anyway, I will adress the situation as suggested, thanks.:D

Anyone who has ever spent any time in law enforcement or the military knows how to look real busy doing something they know nothing about. :blush:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Around here, the pilot doesn't leave the bird, so it isn't an issue.

I've mostly done hot loads, so the pilot never even un-buckles.

And OP, even if you flew in jeans and a t shirt, since you get out of a helicopter, people will think the same things.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I would assume the guy in the jumpsuit not doing anything is either a pilot or dummy for just standing there doing nothing, either way Im not going to ask him to do anything other than hold a bag or help with the stretcher.

I wouldnt be too bothered by wearing the same uniform, even with no medical training you ARE part of the medical team. I would find it hard to believe if anyone on scene was butthurt by you wearing the same uniform either.