Petition to the MA OEMS to accept NREMT

nemedic

Forum Captain
Have any of these Facebook petitions ever been successful? I remember people making these in high school and always thought they were a rather immature way of addressing an issue?

An immature way of dealing with the issue? Huh?

Yes, many, many facebook groups have succeeded in effecting change.

If it weren't for facebook, Betty White would never have hosted SNL.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dober317

Forum Probie
I've joined up with your petition. I'll be moving into MA for college in September with a Connecticut EMT-B certification, and will be attaining my paramedic license (is it a license or a certification? :huh: ) while in Massachusetts as part of my degree. I'd be forever joyful if there was reciprocity!

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
If you all haven't already, please join the group- even if you're not in MA!

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I hope they don't. I don't like the idea of portable certs./licenses.

I must say I find this fascinating: it is the first time I have heard of someone not wanting portability of qualification. One of the reasons that the Australasian services have moved to a minimum Degree qualification for paramedics (with some have a post-graduate requirement to be "ALS" {whatever the hell that is}) is that portability between states/countries was not the same as with other health professions.

As professionals it is not a matter of "In this service, this monkey can perform this skill", but a matter of practicing good medicine wherever you are.

With proper education it doesn't matter if you work in Alaska or Timbuktu, you will simply adapt to the different logistics and cultures as necessary. An MI however, remains an MI irrespective of where it occurs.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I must say I find this fascinating: it is the first time I have heard of someone not wanting portability of qualification. One of the reasons that the Australasian services have moved to a minimum Degree qualification for paramedics (with some have a post-graduate requirement to be "ALS" {whatever the hell that is}) is that portability between states/countries was not the same as with other health professions.

As professionals it is not a matter of "In this service, this monkey can perform this skill", but a matter of practicing good medicine wherever you are.

With proper education it doesn't matter if you work in Alaska or Timbuktu, you will simply adapt to the different logistics and cultures as necessary. An MI however, remains an MI irrespective of where it occurs.

I feel like I should clarify myself and perhaps I misunderstood the OP's original post. I'm not necessarily against portability of certs./licenses and I would hope that states have a straightforward process for reciprocity. I do however don't think someone should be able to go from one state to another and start working immediately based solely on holding a cert from NREMT. If I went from Oregon to Florida I would encounter issues that I wouldn't encounter here, I'm referring to environmental issues. Different regions have different climates and different wildlife. There needs to be some training that each state requires to meet their needs. I feel like I'll be a great EMT and hopefully great Paramedic in Oregon but if I went to Alaska I would struggle as I learn what is unique to them and I shouldn't learn by experience only. Hopefully that makes sense as I have a tendency to ramble.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
So make them take a state specific 24 hour entry course, but there should be no need to retest them on being a competent EMT.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
So make them take a state specific 24 hour entry course, but there should be no need to retest them on being a competent EMT.

I'm in favor of that and because you are so passionate I joined up also.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Awesome, thanks for joining!

Only need 490 members more until I send it off to the MA OEMS. Come on people- join up!!! :D

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Have any of these Facebook petitions ever been successful? I remember people making these in high school and always thought they were a rather immature way of addressing an issue?

Yah like all those silly syrians using it to overthrow an oppressive government where'd that get em, and don't even get me started on all those childish Chinese dissidents.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
The meeting with Rep Toomey went GREAT! I met with him and his legislative assistant. I presented them with a packet of information, which they went through. They asked a lot of questions and said they were very in favor of MA joining the rest of the country in accepting the NREMT. I showed how MA charges nearly $200 in fees to become an EMT while NH and CT charge no fees. They agreed that this is bad for EMTs and bad for the public. They said they would investigate to see if this can be fixed by a regulation or if it has to be fixed by legislation. They said they'll contact me next week and let me know what they've found out and what the next step is. Very exciting!

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
i heard MA was going to NREMT in 2 (or 4?) years. not true?

also, i joined & shared it with a few co-workers on FB.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
i heard MA was going to NREMT in 2 (or 4?) years. not true?

also, i joined & shared it with a few co-workers on FB.

I've heard nothing of it. Where did you hear it from? 2 or 4 years is too long.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
i heard it from 1 of our Medics/FFs just the other day.

Do you know here he/she heard it from? Last time I talked to the OEMS they said it would "never" happen.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
No I dont, but next time I work with him, I will ask him.

Cool thanks. I've heard people say this sort of thing many times, but it usually turns out to be rumor.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
The MA OEMS is a huge joke. Talk about a pain in the ***. It took me close to 5 weeks just to have my paper work accepted. Guess when my $150 check was cashed? The first day it arrived, and when was my paperwork cleared? Weeks afterwards.

All I was hearing from the MA folks is that there is a paramedic shortage, and no wonder nobody wants to move there and deal with the certification process!

The test is administered by PSI, which is a national testing center like Pearson VUE. Can I take the test in my home state? Nope!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

JPINFV

Gadfly
The test is administered by PSI, which is a national testing center like Pearson VUE. Can I take the test in my home state? Nope!

To somewhat defend this, when you pass the exam if you're otherwise qualified, you walk out with your license card.