Petition to the MA OEMS to accept NREMT

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
So the cost of me flying to MA just to take the test should be overlooked by the fact that I walk out with a card? :rofl:

When I can take the NREMT via pearson vue anywhere in the US and typically within a few hours have my number. What do I need a card for when all that matters is having a number which is very quickly posted to the NREMT.

The ONLY good thing about the OEMS testing is that if I fail, I can test the next day, versus waiting two weeks.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So the cost of me flying to MA just to take the test should be overlooked by the fact that I walk out with a card? :rofl:

Or you can always take it shortly after your arrival. Is the company you're interested in not requiring an in-person interview?
When I can take the NREMT via pearson vue anywhere in the US and typically within a few hours have my number. What do I need a card for when all that matters is having a number which is very quickly posted to the NREMT.

The NREMT exam does not provide a license to practice prehospital medicine. The state, however does. Additionally, in my experience, companies and state authorities want more than just a number.

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
Or you can always take it shortly after your arrival. Is the company you're interested in not requiring an in-person interview?

The NREMT exam does not provide a license to practice prehospital medicine. The state, however does. Additionally, in my experience, companies and state authorities want more than just a number.

A license or a certification?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Certification: A document from some organization stating you their standards in a specific field.

License: Permission from the government to perform an otherwise restricted activity.

Regardless of what a state calls the card they hand out, it is a de facto license since you cannot practice as an EMT or paramedic without one.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
MA issues a certification, tho it works the same as a license. The EMT statute actually says "license or certification".

JPINFV

Gadfly
MA issues a certification, tho it works the same as a license. The EMT statute actually says "license or certification".

My favorite piece of legal code regarding license vs certification is the part in the California Business and Professions code that says that "license" and "certification" is the same thing... when dealing with physicians.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
This time it won't be rumor, but coming directly from my state rep.

I discussed this matter w/ the guy I thought I had told me, turns out it wasn't that particular medic, BUT, he and our ALS coordinator said its highly unlikely MA will switch, as OEMS gets $150 out of each EMT (all levels) who keeps their cert. Our ALS Coord said that its likely OEMS will start to accept NREMT but still make people take the MA test. The other medic gave a great example of how screwed up MA is when he moved from Alaska to MA and all the hoops he had to jump through.

So, I think its rumor.

chardwan

Forum Probie
definitely a lot of noise swirling around about this. i hope that they at least get a handle on the reciprocity.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I discussed this matter w/ the guy I thought I had told me, turns out it wasn't that particular medic, BUT, he and our ALS coordinator said its highly unlikely MA will switch, as OEMS gets $150 out of each EMT (all levels) who keeps their cert. Our ALS Coord said that its likely OEMS will start to accept NREMT but still make people take the MA test. The other medic gave a great example of how screwed up MA is when he moved from Alaska to MA and all the hoops he had to jump through.

So, I think its rumor.

MA did change their rules to finally allow someone who is NREMT-certified to challenge MA's written and practical exam. It doesn't make much sense, as you can apply for a CT certification based upon your NREMT cert, and then use that to avoid the MA practical exam. A CT certification is free, so it only takes a little extra time.

Your ALS Coord is likely correct in that the OEMS will never accept the NREMT, unless they are forced to. I intend to see if they can be convinced of it.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Quick update:

The petition has closed, following MA OEMS' statements and efforts to transition entirely to NREMT testing and national standard competencies. Congratulations all all involved. I've been to a few of the state meetings and spoken to staff at OEMS at length about this, if anyone has questions.

Many questions have been answered, others remain up in the air, but I think many agree this is a move in the right direction for the state.

takl23

Forum Crew Member
As a new EMT student I have been told that we will test as NREMT's. When I signed up for the class I thought I was going to have to take the national after the Mass. Thank you to all who got this done! :beerchug: