Pet Hair & Uniform

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I have 2 cats and a dog aside from shaving the pets what do you suggest to maintain a black uniform pet hair free? On a side note I'm fine getting rid of the cats but the wife says no especially since one of them is diabetic. Can't get rid of the dog she's awesome. Get rid of the wife? Hmmmm

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The wife has to go :rofl:

Either leave your uniform at work and change into them there.

Or invest in alot of pet hair rollers/lint rollers.

CrackerBDingus

Forum Crew Member
Buy some cheap suit containers. My silver bengal (the one in my avatar) destroys my navy blue uniform with his hair. Target is a good place to get them.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I never bring my uniforms home. Instead I always change when I get to work, and I also wash them there. Of course, I realize that isn't an option for everyone.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I never bring my uniforms home. Instead I always change when I get to work, and I also wash them there. Of course, I realize that isn't an option for everyone.

This is what I do, too.

When I didn't, I just kept a lint roller in the car, and rolled myself when I got to work.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I throw my pants in the dryer the morning of work to "iron" them and after I put them on I sit on nothing. Pants and boots are the last article that goes on. My pug sheds like crazy.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I have one of those roller things. I also do what Sasha does, throw it into the dryer which seems to work most of the time. I only use the roller thing if I put on my uniform earlier on in the day (I work graveyard) and the cat wants to jump onto the lap or the dog starts shedding around the house like crazy (I have one cat and one dog).

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Dip all your pets in black hair dye. o.o

mm505

Forum Crew Member
This is the year of the shedding cats & dogs! With dark navy blue pants, fur just comes out of no where to cling to them!

I invested in a dozen rolls of inexpensive clear packing tape from Office Depot and smack the sticky side to my pants when I put them on!

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Invest in some good lint rollers definitely :rofl:

Joe

Forum Captain
I dont know what our uniforms are made of but my uniform is the only thing hair doesnt stick to. Probably all the radioactive pee that bums some how transfer to my pants.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Nuke your uniform with Static Guard. It's the stuff in the orange and blue can that women use to keep their dress form sticking to their panty hose. It helps a lot with the pet hair. It also cuts down on the fuzz you get from blankets and other textiles. It won't eliminate the hair completely but it helps and it will make it easier to pull whats left off with a lint roller.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I have just stopped caring... Actually, my polyester pants seem to stay rather hair free, but I think fleece is the worst offender when it comes to hair. My fleece jacket is the first thing off when I get home before I even acknowledge the dogs presence...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338522755667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338522755667.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 220
OP
OP
nwhitney

nwhitney

Forum Captain
So we're all in agreement? The wife has to go?

I have bought so many lint rollers that I get Christmas & birthday cards from the company that makes them. I do the dryer thing as well. I'll try the static cling spray. Thanks.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I always got my uniform dry cleaned, it was a pain to keep the white uniform shirt clean otherwise.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Vinegar keeps whites clean pretty well.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Diabetic cats ...had one, not going to put another cat and us through that again.
Our Himalayan cat's white fine fur threads its way into fabric, a roller has a hard time getting it. Package tape wrapped around the hand sticky side out works better but is less convenient.
On my heavy black cotton uniform pants I took a torch-type lighter and burned off a lot of the "nap" (fine elevated fuzz) then washed them again. Doesn't pick up hair as readily. Dangerous if not done carefully, and some fabrics will bur in for hands. (Like terrycloth).:eek: