Penn trauma surgeon (and JEMS Author) killed in Iraq

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Penn trauma surgeon killed in Iraq

John P. Pryor, 42, of Moorestown, the dedicated leader of the University of Pennsylvania's trauma team and a decorated major in the Army Reserve who wrote eloquently about the painful parallels between battlefield deaths and urban homicides, was killed on Christmas by enemy fire in Iraq while serving as a combat surgeon.

Dr. Pryor deployed Dec. 6 and was with a risky frontline surgical unit when he was killed by shrapnel from a mortar round. It was his second tour of duty in Iraq.

Read more!

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I read the story, what a amazing man! God bless his soul and his family.

FF894

Forum Captain
What a loss to everyone he served and the medical community. Such a shame to loose someone like that before his time. At least he was doing what he loved.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
So sickening to hear of such a fine medical professional whom has dedicated his whole life to Emergency medicine.

Thank you Dr. Pryor for your service and dedication, RIP Sir.

Thank you to the family who has stood by him in his decisions to support his country.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
RIP and may god be with him and his family.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Interestingly, he went to a Caribbean medical school (St George Univ). I just find this amazing that a man who was initially rejected from US med schools went on to become a leader in his field.