Pediatric Scenario

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, if this is in fact the reason why, this further proves that people who want to further the education of EMT's are incorrect. They need to better educate themselves on the topics briefly covered before they can move on, like oxygen administration.

Well, if you increase the education standard- not the same thing as increasing the skill set- to something other than the unholy trinity of knee jerk O2 administration (no O2, nasal cannula or NRB at 15 L/min) then it remedies the problem at least in the proactive sense. Think of it as putting on a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. The problem is that if you don't go back and correct the shock of the massively undereducated EMTs from years past, the "patient" (in this case, the system and its real patients) is still likely to suffer until natural attrition takes care of the problem.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Because he's an EMT-B and doesn't know any better? That's most logical initial conclusion until evidence is presented to the contrary.

I take offense to that.

Im an EMT-B and I know better.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey! And a basic was the first to even mention trying to clear the airway! :p

And I wouldn't even go with regular blow by O2, I'd throw the humidifier on it first, then let them take that.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Hey! And a basic was the first to even mention trying to clear the airway! :p

And I wouldn't even go with regular blow by O2, I'd throw the humidifier on it first, then let them take that.
Even after suctioning if his 02 saturation is still down, which could be a slim but possible outcome, what is the humidifier going to do to help the patients SP02 when it is staying down ?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Great scenario.

I love that feeling when you do a scenario and you have no idea whats going on then at the end you learn a whole pile of stuff and you're thinking, I am so glad I learned that before I ran into it on the road.

More paeds scenarios! I know so little about paeds.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Even after suctioning if his 02 saturation is still down, which could be a slim but possible outcome, what is the humidifier going to do to help the patients SP02 when it is staying down ?

Nothing really. It's there to stop the secretions from drying and clogging the airway.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Great scenario.

I love that feeling when you do a scenario and you have no idea whats going on then at the end you learn a whole pile of stuff and you're thinking, I am so glad I learned that before I ran into it on the road.

More paeds scenarios! I know so little about paeds.

Same here, these scenarios are an amazing way of expanding our knowledge. I look forward to more pediatric scenarios.

HMartinho

Forum Lieutenant
USAL asked me to come up with a good general peds scenario for you guys. So here it is...

18 month old, CC of fever and respiratory distress x 12 hours. Call is at 0200 on a night in November.

On arrival you find a 18 month old, average weight, male patient with HR 165, respirations of 55 per minute, SPO2 93%, cap refill exactly 2 seconds, mid axillary temp of 100.1, crying and fussing. The patient's color is average, not great, not terrible, with the general "sickly" appearance."

You identify audible nasal secretions, with some inspiratory "caving" of the chest, lung sounds are generally clear in all fields, although adequate auscultation is not possible while the patient is crying.

Please identify most appropriate initial treatment based on a logical differential diagnosis, and follow up care. Bonus points for anyone who can identify what the hospital's most likely plan of treatment would be based on the patient's probable diagnosis.

How is their BP?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
your way behind the eightball. dude.

FFEMT427

Forum Probie
Meningitis eh? How much helicopter are you going to give them? IV helicopter or IM helicopter? I prefer to go with a large bolus of helicopter followed by an infusion to maintain therapeutic levels of helicopter in the body.

Helicopter is not a treatment. Helicopter is a means of transport that is grossly overused in the US.

Hey smash do you usually drip in helicopter or pump it and I assume doses are given in kilograms(I laughed for 15 min straight after reading this comment)

Last edited by a moderator: