Patriot Ambulance Chelmsford Massachusetts Pre Hire Examination

Bailey534

Forum Probie
Hi, I was wondering what Patriot Ambulance Service in Chelmsford Massachusetts conducts for a Pre Hire exam. Do they give a written? If so is it hard like the states what type of questions and how many are there . Do they also give a Practical exam like the state where you have to do a medical and trauma station, CPR-AED, back boarding, KED, splinting, traction splint. I have heard in the interview they give you a medical scenario and you have to give the appropriate protocol for the situation but do you have to preform every step. Someone says the HR gives no Practical just a written but I'm hearing different things and it's confusing. If there is a current Patriot Ambulance employee that can help it would be much Appreciated or anyone who knows what they conduct Thanks.

Wasteofdays

Forum Ride Along
I took it recently and it consisted of a 25 question computer based test on general EMS knowledge and a sit down with HR and a medic who posed a scenario to you and had you explain what interventions you would perform step-by-step. Like the state practical medical assessment station.

OP
OP
B

Bailey534

Forum Probie
I took it recently and it consisted of a 25 question computer based test on general EMS knowledge and a sit down with HR and a medic who posed a scenario to you and had you explain what interventions you would perform step-by-step. Like the state practical medical assessment station.
I was told to just give the medical protocol for the situation and not to go through the entire medical assessment like in school or the state exam just give the important info the lady at hr said there is no practical stations just a written do they give tramua scenarios and are you currently employed there and was the written hard like the state

OP
OP
B

Bailey534

Forum Probie

I was told to just give the medical protocol for the situation and not to go through the entire medical assessment like in school or the state exam just give the important info the lady at hr said there is no practical stations just a written do they give tramua scenarios and are you currently employed there and was the written hard like the state

All she told me was you get a scenario and you can ask questions and tell how you would treat the patient in that scenario I asked if you need to go through the entire medical assessment and she just said how you would treat your patient

Wasteofdays

Forum Ride Along
The written wasn't (IMO) nearly as tricky as the state. Also, I had no information when i interviewed, so i went in blind. They presented me with a head trauma patient and i went through the interventions like i would if i were at a station during the state test and then they offered to hire me. I passed because i got a better offer from a different company in the area.

OP
OP
B

Bailey534

Forum Probie
The written wasn't (IMO) nearly as tricky as the state. Also, I had no information when i interviewed, so i went in blind. They presented me with a head trauma patient and i went through the interventions like i would if i were at a station during the state test and then they offered to hire me. I passed because i got a better offer from a different company in the area.

Ok then I assume I just give the proper interventions and what I would do i was told just the important stuff and I don't need to go through every step

OP
OP
B

Bailey534

Forum Probie
Ok then I assume I just give the proper interventions and what I would do i was told just the important stuff and I don't need to go through every step

I don't think they need me to do every single step just what I would do and how to treat my patient. That's a practical she said no practicals for your assessment I would just say sure scene is safe use bsi ask if the patient has head head tramua and if so do the jaw thrust maneuver make sure to recognize that I backboard and c spine the patient then do a rapid assessment then a detailed physical exam and check vitals every 5 minutes and notify ALS is that how u did it

OP
OP
B

Bailey534

Forum Probie
I don't think they need me to do every single step just what I would do and how to treat my patient. That's a practical she said no practicals for your assessment I would just say sure scene is safe use bsi ask if the patient has head head tramua and if so do the jaw thrust maneuver make sure to recognize that I backboard and c spine the patient then do a rapid assessment then a detailed physical exam and check vitals every 5 minutes and notify ALS is that how u did it

By the way your saying interventions which means how I would treat my patient what I would do I think I'm getting confused by u cause I keep thinking I have to do every signal step like in school and I don't think they need that just what and how I would do it

Wasteofdays

Forum Ride Along
A month ago. I can only tell you my experience. I treated it like I was answering the examiner at the state test and I was offered a job. Maybe they require less, but that's how it went with me.

OP
OP
B

Bailey534

Forum Probie
A month ago. I can only tell you my experience. I treated it like I was answering the examiner at the state test and I was offered a job. Maybe they require less, but that's how it went with me.

My instructor in school told me to answer all the important facts, they don't follow what we were taught in school and all they are looking for is a general idea that we know what to do. He said I don't need to do a complete Medical assessment just answer what I would do and how I would treat the patient. It's a generalized scenario and I just need to verbalized important facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My instructor in school told me to answer all the important facts, they don't follow what we were taught in school and all they are looking for is a general idea that we know what to do. He said I don't need to do a complete Medical assessment just answer what I would do and how I would treat the patient. It's a generalized scenario and I just need to verbalized important facts.

Bailey, are you asking for our advice, or arguing? Every one of your responses has been "I heard that they do it this way, not that..." You've posted this four times, are you looking for different answers?

I opened this with the intention to respond to you, but you seem to know best. Good luck!

punctuation.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SixEightWhiskey

Forum Crew Member
The pre-hire exam is 25 questions, multiple choice. Make sure you brush up on MA BLS protocols beforehand, I definitely wouldn't call the test 'easy' by any means.

If you do pass that then yes, they will give you a scenario and ask what you would do. Just follow your assessment and treat life threats as you find them, just like you would in the real world. That's what I did and I got the job.