patient's Apple Watch -- useful on a call !

kaisardog

Forum Crew Member
just attended a mandatory professional rescuer refresher. I and the instructor were the only one wearing apple watches. asked him why he thought, he said : had a call recently where a bike rider took a header and smacked his he'd on the concrete. after Apple Watch received no 'I'm OK' signal, watch sent a 911 with gps location. EMS paramedic unit responded quickly , took the victim asap to the ER he had a fractured skull and brain bleed.

I made sure my own emergency fall detection was turned on on my watch, to be sure.

a lot of my older relatives who hate the "little help me I ve fallen and cant get up: wearable buttons might be more inclined to wear a cool apple watch for fall detection. we'll see. .

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Not a watch but phone, it was interesting to watch the patient's Blood Glucose increase with D-10; funny thing his wife was 10 minutes behind his phone. She kept calling to tell me I was letting him die, when his phone and my glucometer both said it was going up.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
I just got a family member an Apple Watch. It has been much more reliable than her old "fallen and can't get up" button. She is also more active in keeping it charged, vs the old button thing that had a dead battery a couple days every week.

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I have an Apple watch and especially the apple watch SE. Their fall detection is great and I can see Apple making it more standard as part of their watch. I have seen more apps lately come out with crash detection and even SOS apps that send help. Especially in the Maritime area, it will cut down on SAR cases because we can go by the GPS coordinates

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I have an Apple watch and especially the apple watch SE. Their fall detection is great and I can see Apple making it more standard as part of their watch. I have seen more apps lately come out with crash detection and even SOS apps that send help. Especially in the Maritime area, it will cut down on SAR cases because we can go by the GPS coordinates
As long as it’s within cell coverage… Not many cell towers at sea.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
As long as it’s within cell coverage… Not many cell towers at sea.
Apples new SOS feature relies on satellites to relay a call for help so no cell towers are needed.

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Apples new SOS feature relies on satellites to relay a call for help so no cell towers are needed.
You got stuff like this.

Even Apple iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models has the feature as well.

Here's how EPIRB's work. https://www.boatus.org/epirb/work/

Here's an example of the USCG's Rescue 21 system.