Patient Issue's

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
So just over an hour ago my volly service got a call for chest pain. Upon my arrival the male looked fine, no sweating, no difficulty breathing, no nothing basically.

I sit him down and start him on 15lpm 02 while I get a set of vitals and do history and get some SAMPLE, OPQRST answered.

Patient tells me he has hypertension and anxiety issues. I ask him if he ever had this problem before and he states no. Says this is worse than an anxiety attack.

Vitals were 190/100, 72 p, 18 r. I ask the patient if he has taken his meds today and he says yes.

One of the county medics arrives before the ambulance and the patient gives him a 180 of the story he gave me. Now he has had a cough for 3 days, coughing up blood, 10/10 chest pain, and pain on inhalation. The patient then says that he hasn't taken his meds in three days.

The patient was not presenting with physical signs of pain and when the medic asked him if it felt like his usual anxiety attack he responds with yes.

The patient walks to the ambulance and is transported with the medic on board because he is complaining of chest pain.

I had a good 10 minutes of interview time before the medic arrived and asked all sorts of questions regarding history and the current problem. Now I'm made to look like an idiot in front of the medic and the patients family. How often does this happen to other people? And do you do anything to keep it from happening or accept the fact that it is going to happen?

theoriginalmslt

Forum Ride Along
eh...

it happens, you cant beat yourself up over it. you asked the right questions and did your job. sometimes the pt will be so anxious/nervous/panicky(sp?) b/c of the situation theyre in theyll overthink or think ahead of their words and wont answer your questions properly. what ill usually do if i think this is happening is ask the same questions a few different ways to make sure i get the same response every time.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
patients will giv e you false onformation for all sorts of reasons. sometimes, they misundersatnd the question, read to much into it etc. sometimes they outright lie to you. it happens. make sure when you report to whomever you report to that "the patient stated" etc.

strong work letting the chest pain patient walk to the truck though. always good practice there.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
I know I'm gonna get in crap for this.. but it may have been because you are a volunteer, or were with a volley service. I've had that experience before, and it was because I was a volunteer. That being said, it could be anything.

Thing is, you did the right thing. Gave O2, vitals, SAMPLE, OPQRST and documentation. By documenting what the patient said, than you did your job. Some people will do that. Lie to FR's than give a little more info to medics, then give even more info to ER nurses, than give all the info to the doc. It happens. Like others have said - it happens, don't beat yourself up over it.

Note: I have nothing against volunteers or volunteer services!! I have seen this happen on both sides. The volunteer side, and the paid side. Don't anyone take that comment as a personal attack, or interpret it that paid is better than volunteer, or in any way other than what it was intended for. Seriously.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
In the words of House... "Patient's lie, everybody lies"....

I have seen this at all levels, from the patient telling the Er Doc something different to the surgeon a whole different story... it happens.

R/r 911

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
In the words of House... "Patient's lie, everybody lies"....
Who knew that a fictional attending could have given such sound advice.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i cant count how many times a patient has 180'd their story the minute they are in front of the guy with the white coat. you get used to it.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Yup It happens. It ticks me off too. One story for me, a second for the nurse and a third for the Dr.. Document it. Patients have a right to screw up their health care.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yup It happens. It ticks me off too. One story for me, a second for the nurse and a third for the Dr.. Document it. Patients have a right to screw up their health care.

You forgot the fourth story for Law, and the fifth one ... what's actually going on.

Laur68EMT

Forum Crew Member
Aside from the possibility the pt is not being truthful, you must also consider there may be something else going on neurologically causing the story to change.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I've had patients flip their story when ALS arrives because ALS bills them and we don't.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
More often then not you get the 180's due to the fact that in the time it took for you to ask them questions and someone else to ask the same questions, realization set in of the situation and now they want to tell everything so they don't get worse. I have not seen it in relation to the skill level of the person asking the questions yet but i do see a differnce in answers between time passed between questions.

Just my .02