Patient in Custody

How does you handle patients in custody?

• Patient is always cuffed

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Patient is cuffed at the request of EMS

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Patient is cuffed by LEO's choice

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Patient isn't cuffed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LEO rides with, with cuff key

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • LEO follows behind Ambulance

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • LEO says they will be by the hosptial later

• LEO says to have the Hospital call them to pick up the patient

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something Else - I'll reply to the thread

• Total voters

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If you have a patient who is in the custody of LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers)... first, are they handcuffed or not, and does PD ride with you, follow behind you, or show up later at the hospital?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Like most things in EMS, it depends.

If we take you to the hospital after you're arrested for a simple crime, PD will cuff you to the cot and follow behind. (If you're not combatant)

If you did something serious, or are combatant, PD will cuff you and hop on board.

When PD doesn't hop on, they have always asked if I'd like them on board, and always follow behind. They then park themselves next to the patient's bed.

Side note, PD always has us take patients to a farther away hospital that is PD-friendly (Not so HIPAA friendly, and really fast).

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
in ma, at least as far as the letter of the law is concerned, the leo must ride in the truck with you. this is due to the fact that the majority of ems agencies in this state dont have the "specialized training" necessary to monitor handcuffs(???)

aline

Forum Probie
In Denver-Metro, if the patient is in cuffs, the officer is required to be in the back. We don't carry cuff keys to free the patient from the bed if something happens. If the patient is deemed non-violent and/or they aren't felons, PD usually removes the cuffs and follows. It also depends on the seriousness of their injuries.

Take Care and Stay Safe,

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
aline said:
In Denver-Metro, if the patient is in cuffs, the officer is required to be in the back. We don't carry cuff keys to free the patient from the bed if something happens. If the patient is deemed non-violent and/or they aren't felons, PD usually removes the cuffs and follows. It also depends on the seriousness of their injuries.

Take Care and Stay Safe,

Makes sense to me.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
This is subject that needs to be addressed between admin or both EMS and LEO in the area where you work.

There was a case in an unban area where a female medic was pushed out of a moving ambulance after a DWI/DUI suspect was arrested after a crash and transported by EMS. The suspect was NOT cuffed and an officer was not riding with the ambulance.

The kicker is the crime is only a misdemeanor but the medic could have been killed.

BTW it was on an episode of "COPS".

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Due to space limitations, we do not transport passengers. Normally, we do not transport anyone in custody and will have ground transport them, but on the rare occasion that we do, usually their injuries are such that they are chemically paralyzed and intubated. If not, then they are chemically paralyzed and intubated. Notice a trend??????????????

Not going to deal with stupidity in the air................

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
SO always rides with an inmate/or newly acquired inmate whether cuffed or not, and the LEO also remains armed. If an inmate does not have an immediate threat to life or true emergency, the CO's will transfer the patient themselves in a patrol car and sit with them until they can return to the jail. I really like the syatem I think it's pretty much as safe as it can get.

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Flight-LP said:
Due to space limitations, we do not transport passengers. Normally, we do not transport anyone in custody and will have ground transport them, but on the rare occasion that we do, usually their injuries are such that they are chemically paralyzed and intubated. If not, then they are chemically paralyzed and intubated. Notice a trend??????????????

Not going to deal with stupidity in the air................
You flight-types do that to
A: anyone who seems afraid of a helicopter
B: anyone you don't like

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Like I said in the poll, PD usually follows behind.

Personally, if the pt is an *** prior to departure, and hes not emergent, I will make pd take him to the hospital so I can go back to the station and finish my sandwich... so long as PD is comfortable with that. I would document that the patient was violent and non life threatening.

If the patient gets ugly in the back en route and is non emergent, I would pull over and request that PD takes him so I can go eat my sandwich... so long as pd is confortable. I would document same as above.

If the patient is emergent and belligerent, I have not had the pleasure of this. I imagine I would have PD cuff him to the gurney and have him follow. I doubt he would leave his car. I dont belive that to be standard practice.

Hope this clears it up. Rural EMS rocks. JC is my hero! my back hurts from doing blood draws on spitters and shi**ers so Im going to the hot tub. suck my french cath. goodnight.

GaEMT

Forum Crew Member
My county will 'unarrest" them in some instances to avoid the responsibility for the medical expenses. At this point they follow the ambulance to the hopsital and wait for the patient to be discharged, then re-arrest them if necessary. Most often, if you are nder arrest and say you have chest pains, you are issued a get out of jail free card