Passed the TESTTT

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
So I finnaly after waiting like 2 months between the end of my class and now took my State written test yesterday morning and passed so I am now finnaly a EMT!!! no more just being a ride along.... Medic school in the fall here I come lol!!

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats.

Don't start medic school right away. Enjoy the excitement and challenges of being a Basic first.

As Bruce Willis said in Die Hard "Welcome To The Party, Pal."
Welcome to the world of EMS, display your card with pride.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Congrats again!! Are you going to apply to work in the Boston area? Where are you going to medic school?

OP
OP
Sail195

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats again!! Are you going to apply to work in the Boston area? Where are you going to medic school?

I am going to just start applying everywhere... from what I can see there are not many places hiring.... I currently work and live in south eastern MA but would be willing to travel/commute so if you know of any one please let me know! I will start working at the volley dept I have been riding with for awhile now to get experience in the mean time…

As far as medic school I will probably be going to the same school that I did my basic class with in Taunton MA

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Congrats.

Don't start medic school right away. Enjoy the excitement and challenges of being a Basic first.

As Bruce Willis said in Die Hard "Welcome To The Party, Pal."
Welcome to the world of EMS, display your card with pride.

I disagree. Start medic school in the fall as you planned.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
I am going to just start applying everywhere... from what I can see there are not many places hiring.... I currently work and live in south eastern MA but would be willing to travel/commute so if you know of any one please let me know! I will start working at the volley dept I have been riding with for awhile now to get experience in the mean time…

As far as medic school I will probably be going to the same school that I did my basic class with in Taunton MA

If you are eastern, try Patriot in Lawrence. 1 of my old partners got his 911 BLS experience. 1 of the best and most knowledge partners I have ever had.

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
I disagree. Start medic school in the fall as you planned.

Most Medic schools won't take anyone without at least 6 months field experience.

Please explain to me why you disagree. Why do you think it is a good idea to go to medic school with NO field experience?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Most Medic schools won't take anyone without at least 6 months field experience.

Please explain to me why you disagree. Why do you think it is a good idea to go to medic school with NO field experience?

My medic school took me.

I had no field experience going into medic school (Except for the EMT clinicals). I see no difference in grades, or skills between those who went to medic school with field experience, and those who didn't, in my class.

What great skills can you learn working as a basic that you didn't learn in school? Taking history? Interacting with patients?

Ridryder911 said:
Just attended an educators course. A recent study has just demonstrated that those without any prior EMS experience scores over all higher in pass rates on Paramedic tests, within one year usually has a higher chance of employment and promotion.

Last edited by a moderator:

nimboo

Forum Ride Along
What great skills can you learn working as a basic that you didn't learn in school? Taking history? Interacting with patients?

I'm still learning, but frankly, yes. Maybe it's just the way I work, but I practically re-learned everything I had learned in class once I got into the field. Its sort of like playing the piano. You may say "I can read music, so I'm sure I can play the piano." In theory, yes, you can play the piano, but you'll completely suck, because you aren't used to it. You're fingers just aren't used to acting that way - even though you have all the knowledge.

In EMT school, I had my assessments down, everything, but it wasn't until you actually have field experience that you learn that everything doesn't go exactly the way you imagined it would go while you were in class. You have to get your muscle memory used to doing certain tasks. You have to actually talk to people, and TRUST ME, they won't answer the questions the way you think they will. If you're not used to extracting information, you'll just stand there and wonder why the patient isn't answering your OPQRST questions the way your buddies did while you were practicing in class. I've also had to change the system of assessment I use to fit different situations.

So all I'm saying is, I never realized how little I knew until I actually got a job. In your case, I think it would be way better to work as a basic first. That way, you can have some time to envy the Paramedics like I do. You'll get to see what they can do that you can't. Since they have to do everything that you can do PLUS what they can do, its a good idea to rock at what basics can do before you add all the things para's have to remember to your list.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
In EMT school, I had my assessments down, everything, but it wasn't until you actually have field experience that you learn that everything doesn't go exactly the way you imagined it would go while you were in class. You have to get your muscle memory used to doing certain tasks. You have to actually talk to people, and TRUST ME, they won't answer the questions the way you think they will. If you're not used to extracting information, you'll just stand there and wonder why the patient isn't answering your OPQRST questions the way your buddies did while you were practicing in class. I've also had to change the system of assessment I use to fit different situations.

So all I'm saying is, I never realized how little I knew until I actually got a job. In your case, I think it would be way better to work as a basic first. That way, you can have some time to envy the Paramedics like I do. You'll get to see what they can do that you can't. Since they have to do everything that you can do PLUS what they can do, its a good idea to rock at what basics can do before you add all the things para's have to remember to your list.

Now you'll get to go ahead and re-learn everything the way the NR wants it done. I don't regret going straight into medic school at all.

As for talking to patients, that has nothing to do with being an EMT. That's just being able to talk to people.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't regret going straight into medic school at all.

Me either, nothing I have gained while working as a basic I could not have gained through clinicals. I was in medic school before I got my EMT cert. No regrets here.