Partners

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
My partner and I must be telepathic. We work so well together, and when he is gone and I work with someone else, it shows. I am still a rookie so I get him to back me up on anything I am unsure of. I consider him like my brother and we fight and argue ALL the time, we have similar senses of humor, and it all ends up being one huge joke towards each other.

How everyone else was with their shift partners, is it like your "work wife/husband" or someone you cannot stand?

Sassafras

Forum Captain
My partners differ every shift. The guy I run the most with has somehow decided he is driving all runs which leaves me to do all the teching. Not a problem until we are already 2 hours over due for clock out, it's midnight and I'm stuck with all the trip sheets.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I've got a different partner every shift - usually. There's only nine people at my station right now. There's a couple I click with, there's a couple that I find reasonable people but can't stand working with for whatever reason (poor driving, pawning off work etc) and there's a couple I'd consider friends, borderline family.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I've worked with the same person for the past 6 months bar a few shifts here and there. Its good we get along well. I've had a few dodgy partners and it really shows. We either do half the shift driving then half pt care, ot sometimes go job by job,

princessretard

Forum Probie
i get different partners on my shifts. specially when picking up overtime, you never know who you'll be working with. but, for the most part since our company had several bases people tend to stick to the base they like most. so i get to see the regular emts on the base i work out of. we all know each other.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
How everyone else was with their shift partners, is it like your "work wife/husband" or someone you cannot stand?

Absolutely and everything in-between From Amused to, um, ZZZZZZZZZZ'd Out!

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
The guy I run the most with has somehow decided he is driving all runs which leaves me to do all the teching. Not a problem until we are already 2 hours over due for clock out, it's midnight and I'm stuck with all the trip sheets.

Wow... he is really taking advantage of you! Why didn't you stand up for yourself more and say no to this? Seniority issue?

Lame (of him). :blink:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not a problem until we are already 2 hours over due for clock out, it's midnight and I'm stuck with all the trip sheets.
Simple solution. The ambulance doesn't clear the call until the patient care report is finished, and since he's driving, his job is to turn the ambulance around (wipe down anything needing wiped down, clean up the back, remake the gurney, etc) while you're finishing the PCR. Also, especially on non-emergent transports, there's no real reason to not be working on the PCR during the transport.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Simple solution. The ambulance doesn't clear the call until the patient care report is finished, and since he's driving, his job is to turn the ambulance around (wipe down anything needing wiped down, clean up the back, remake the gurney, etc) while you're finishing the PCR. Also, especially on non-emergent transports, there's no real reason to not be working on the PCR during the transport.

+1.

I like riding all the calls, but we're gonna share the workload and not get backed up. You'll find your rhythm.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Same 2 partners for the last 5 years, we work 4 on 2 off, so I work 2 days with one, 2 days with the other, its not where you work but who you do it with.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been lucky enough to have several great partners. Had two of them that I swore we could read each other's minds. I was on a medic truck on nights, so there was quite a few times there were BLS trucks to assist. Several times, the others crews just backed off because they thought they would get in our way. One person even told me that my partner and I were "scary brilliant" working together. Never did figure out if that was a compliment or not. :p

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
we were brilliant with each other, which scared other people;

I have had 5 partners over the years that we worked great together: didn't have to talk about what to do with patient care: lifting or pretty much anything else (except where to eat).

2 on FD; both started BLS; then one got his medic then I got mine.

3 at same Private service (1 was on FD too); 2 of them are on here: Epi-Do, and Katgrl.

miss them all

FDNYRescueMedic

Forum Probie
We have two partners so when one is off the other two are on. For the most part there is always one that you prefer working with and one you want to throw out of the bus while responding code 3! I lucked out and work with two decent guys.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Massachusetts uses the "priority" system.

Priority 1: Immediately life threatening (code 3)
Priority 2: Critical (code 3)
Priority 3: Minor
Priority 4: Non-emergent IFT

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
Do all states use the term code 3 for lights and sirens because my agency uses code 20 and code 10 for normal transport.

In Ontario, we are on a 4 code system.

CODE 1 Any non-important call
CODE 2 Scheduled call (i.e. patient transfer)
CODE 3 Prompt call, not life threatening, lights and siren optional
CODE 4 Life Threatening, lights on, siren optional

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
My partners differ every shift.

Same here. I have two or three "favorite" partners that I work with alot. And yes, it is kind of like that almost telepathic relationship. I can make eye contact and in a split second we know what the other of us is trying to say. Is really nice when there are angry family members on scene, or when the pt is crumping and all I have to do is look at my partner in the review mirror.

Now it is really bad when we finish each others sentences......

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
We use:

Code 1 (Lights and siren response)
1A- Cardiac Arrest, Ineffective breathing
1B- Severe resp distress, continuous seizures
1C- Chest pain, trauma, child birth

Code 2 (Non lights and siren)
2A- Get there without delay 2b within 30 mins, 2c within 1 hours

Code 3 & 4 are IFZTs, and discharges

Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Do all states use the term code 3 for lights and sirens because my agency uses code 20 and code 10 for normal transport.

Not to aid the hijack here....

Here we run either code or no code. I don't really see the need for a three level response system. What really is the difference between Critical (seems like usually P2) and Life Threat (seems like usually P1). I mean it is not like P1 is lights and siren, ok to "break" traffic laws. (ie. over the limit, against red lights, etc) and P2 is lights and siren but not allowed to "break" traffic laws. (Or no lights and siren and ok to "break" rules.:eek:)

So, here we respond "Code" (Lights and siren, or hot) or "No Code" (No lights, no siren, or cold).

That Canadian system seems interesting. In WA as long as the lights are on, the siren "has" to be on. That is of course only loosely followed around here, but still, it is the law.

llavero

Forum Crew Member
I have shifts of 24/24, I mean 24 hours on and 24 hours off, and for this reason I have three different partners (usually). With two of them I have a very very good work relation, it is like we can read our minds, but with the other one... pfffff... I have nightmares when I work with her (and it is not because she is a girl, let's get this clear, it is because she do not become clear what are her functions)

We do not have "codes" to respond a call, only have "priority" (lights and siren) or "normal" (no lights, no siren).